From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Frater Almost 27 Jun 92 14:08:00 Subject: Re: Care Bears Rec'd UpdReq >When the >transmission went through Therion's nervous System, it came >out as only he could put it, highly flavoured with his >personality and knowledge. I don't see that as an advantage. Particularly not with Crowley as the filter! What it means is that there is no way to distinguish what parts of the book are "real" knowledge being provided by Aiwass, the Secret Chiefs, or whoever, and which parts are merely distortions introduced by Crowley's personality and memory. From my viewpoint, it provides just one more reason to distrust the book as the foundation of a moral system. (And Thelema is just as much a system of morals as is Christianity.) >One cannot convey in pure terms >that which one does not understand. Maybe not, but one can convey it in plain terms, and/or without cobbling together stuff from prior sources. It's been done often enough. Personally, I would find a restatement of these "timeless" truths in completely new language more convincing. * SLMR 2.1a * What does it all mean, Mr. Natural? 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Josh Norton Area: Thelema To: Michelle Hass 28 Jun 92 13:09:04 Subject: Lucifer myths UpdReq >The only problem with all this Testosterone culture is that >it bred a constant state of war between rival city-states. The >memory of the old Matriarchal days and their relative peace >and tranquillity was perhaps the reason the legend of the Fall >came about. >Just a thought....feedback? While I find feminist archaeologists' ideas about a "men's lib" revolt very plausible, I have to take exception to the presumption that the earlier cultures were either relatively peaceful and/or idyllic. I took a closer look at the matter a few years ago after being stimulated by Merlin Stone's and Rianne Eisler's (sp?) books. And I was disappointed to find that most of the solid archaeological evidence tends to indicate that these supposedly non-sexist and/or matriarchal cultures were no more idyllic and peaceful than later patriarchal cultures. They did have wars, both for territorial and ideological reasons. And as with cultures everywhere and everywhen prior to the last few centuries, the typical person's life was -- with minor variations -- "nasty, brutish, and short"; a culture's particular mythology and social structure doesn't seem to have had much effect on this basic fact. And while I DON'T claim to be widely-read in the feminist archeological literature, it seems to me that all of the reconstructions of these cultures that I have seen are based on legends and accounts recorded AFTER the culture in question had changed or passed away. As such, these accounts would be subject to the "good-old-days" syndrome: the belief that the lost past was better than the present. I doubt that our ancestors were any less subject to the syndrome than we are today. Of course, the easiest explanation for the longing for an idyllic past time is to forget all ideas about racial memory and such, and simply go with the Freudians' belief that the "past" in question was our time in the womb. * SLMR 2.1a * "All systems are true" = "no system is true" 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Frater Almost Area: Thelema To: Josh Norton 29 Jun 92 02:56:50 Subject: Re: Care Bears Sent UpdReq You don't quite seem to understand.... You see, to hear the voice of God is not like hearing some-one speak.... It convey's what It wants to convey in purely Symbolic Terms with NO WORDS WHATSOEVER! (Nope, not even in Enochian!) God speaks via symbol. Thus, the Liber AL is still Holy as it urges one on to discovering it's message for oneself ("Do what thou Wilt....") That much is apparent. It is quite plain to anyone competent to work The Magick of Light. Pax. 93 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718