From: Deep Black Area: Base of Set To: Lady Byron 28 Aug 94 14:33:00 Subject: Scientology UpdReq I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. I think that Hubbard simply used the works of others (which have varying amounts of validity) and wove them into his own rather twisted fabric and came up with Dianetics (the "tech") and Scientology (the "Church.") The Engram has been postulated and persued for the better part of a century. The design of a theraputic technique utilizing a psychogalvanic response meter, which measures very minute changes in perspiration, in conjunction with reading a list of words to the one being "interviewed" was pioneered by Jung. Hubbard changed the name to "auditing" and left the rest essentially unchanged. Terms such as "rock slam" (a particularly violent swing of the "E-Meter" needle) were lifted in toto and used to indicate a particular event (in this case holding out or "repressing.") A small PGR kit may be bought at Radio Shack and built in a few hours, even for those with no real skill with electronics. They are a lot of fun to play with and really can display a certain level of utility as a crude form of biofeedback. Like many other things, I think he burst upon the scene in the late 50's when the whole psych/science mentality was all the rage, along with the "science as solution" ubiquity. It afforded this new inner exploration to the common man, outside of the medical realm. With its combination of validity and meaningless/redundant psychobabble, many people slipped seamlessly into its form. The "Church" has a vendetta against the established mental health field because of their constant head-butting with the AMA and the APA; hence the Prozac campaign of the last few years, for instance. They have pulled off some incredible stunts which one congressman characterized as "within the realm and equal to the intelligence communities of some small countries!" Have you read any of the numerous books done on LRH/Scientology or any other independent research outside of your experiences within the org? I'd be interested to hear of your experiences, if you don't mind. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Deep Black Area: Base of Set To: Dark Star 28 Aug 94 14:38:00 Subject: Re: "Troubleshooter" UpdReq DS> LB> You both have my support. Pardon me, but fuck him. DS> If this moron IS Linda Blood, Since Dr. Aquino wouldn't, that's DS> obviously the problem! Too bad all this repressed libido has to be taken out on her poor computer! Imagine how "used" it must feel! This borders on ABUSE *GASP* Sometime in the future, this computer may be sold and with the help of the Norton Utilities "Disk Doctor", files that were erased long ago may be brought to the screen once again and expose the horrible truth of what REALLY happened while it was in her possession! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lost Boy Area: Base of Set To: Creeping Death 28 Aug 94 21:09:00 Subject: Re: (gasp!)Oklahoma? UpdReq CD> Well there are the one's that claim to be vampires, they start gripin CD> about how it is there "feeding" time. So what school do you go to? Well, I do have fangs, I hate bright light, and I do feed once a day (usually either a hamburger or pizza:) ), so I figure let people draw their own conclusions, whatever they might be. But the first time someone throws "holy" water all over me or tries to drive a stake/pencil/sharp stick, whatever, through my heart, they're gonna wind up kissing pavement!:) I graduated in '92 from Kellyville (a little hic town between Sapulpa and Bristow). You? -=< Lost Boy >=- 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Michael Aquino Area: Base of Set To: Lady Byron 27 Aug 94 07:05:32 Subject: Re: CAN UpdReq LB> Curious: I would be interested in hearing your evaluation of LB> Scientology. I was involved with it for a time long ago, but found that LB> if any organization fitted the titled of "cult," that was it. Not only LB> did they literally worship Elron, but there was *marked* intolerance of LB> thinking outside of their realm of "logic." If you dared to do so, you LB> were then ostracized and termed "out ethics." You basically had to lick LB> someone's butt to be accepted by your peers again. My "core opinion" of Scientology derives from its doctrinal premises, which I think are simply silly. Hubbard wrote some speculative sci-fi, and enough fans got carried away with it to make a hobby and/or religion out of it, and Hubbard had sufficient show-biz initiative to capitalize on it. [Pause to shrug shoulders.] As a social organization, its "metaphysics" aside, I don't know quite what to think of Scientology. Its literature suggests that it is progressive, tolerant, utopian, and active in society for a variety of good causes. [To be sure, one could say the same for Al Capone.] I have read occasional "expose" books, such as the one by Hubbard's son, and can take them at face-value. But there is always the question of whether they are more objective or more sour-grapes. I have never been a Scientologist, nor been to any of their functions, nor felt the interest in doing more than very casual research on them. So my "bottom line" is that I don't feel competent to judge them - except, as noted, in the area of their dopey metaphysics. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718