From: The Cegorach Area: THE_OASIS To: Rose Dawn 20 Aug 97 14:56:56 Subject: ASTRO STUFF UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Rose Dawn wrote in a message to The Cegorach: RD> Re 93 Ceg! RD> > I'm mostly trying to come to grips with the houses and signs thang; I > feel I have at least a "better-than-dunce" understanding of Elements, > and of Planets; I take the planets to be the sub-minds as Josh calls > 'em. I'm progressing (pun?) a bit better in my understanding since I've > found an astro prog. that talks in these terms. RD> RD> Astro-Psych 101? Hey, kewl deal! What program is that? Do they make RD> em for Mac's? I don't have an astrology program at all NEmore, and It's called Astrolog, and I believe there *is* a Mac version. I'll try ftp'ing it, if so, and ul'ing it to MM. RD> Question: if planets are 'sub-minds,' what are the elements? What RD> are the houses? Just 'situational verbs' or something? I've never RD> heard of this 'sentence diagramming' method, & it's caught my RD> fancy, so if you'd like to expound further, I'm all eyes! :> Remind me, and I'll talk more about this--gotta refresh my memory a bit, as I'm still learning, and now concentrating more on Hebrew. The Laughing God Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Cegorach Area: THE_OASIS To: Rose Dawn 20 Aug 97 15:11:50 Subject: Hebrew UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Hey, chick, I'm O-fficially back in school now! Yeah! I'm only taking one class for now; next semester I'll probably increase to two. I'm trying to take as much as I can, but still, I've got to work, and sleep, and have time for homework and (gasp) a social life. :-) My first class is Elementary Biblical Hebrew. If I can keep my mind off all the damned eye candy in class, I should do okay. I have a bit of a head start on most of the others, as I'm not completely unfamiliar with Hebrew, and the little bit of it I've studied is Qabalistic stuff, which is Biblical, or close to it--closer than it is to modern Hebrew, for example. I got a bit of a laugh the first day--last Monday--we were all standing around waiting for someone to open the darned door to the classroom, and one of the students turned and asked me if I was the teacher. :-) (Damn, I know I look older than I am, but man!) During the first class, the teacher asked us what our greatest fear re: learning Hebrew was--a couple of people said, "Writing backwards", which was the answer he was looking for--me, I said, "Reciting Abulafia's 231 Gates". Got a raised eyebrow. -;) When he asked if anyone in the class had *any* experience with Hebrew, I was one of two people who answered yes; of course, I've only had a tiny amount of exposure, and it turns out, it's more of a detriment right now--we're working on pronunciation. As you may or may not know, when Hebrew was reconstructed as a modern language, there were two main dialects, Eastern and Western European, or Ashkenazic (Germany, Poland) and Sephardic (Spain, France). Sephardic is the dialect of the Toledo Qabalists of the 13th century, and what's used both for modern Hebrew and Biblical; but I learned Ashkenazic, the dialect of Rabbi Luria, the dude who gave us the picture of the Tree of Life we're most familiar with. So now I have to unlearn it. Bleh. Still, it's a fun course, and neither two hard nor two easy; and, in addition to fulfilling my foreign language requirement, it will also have practical application in my chosen career, religious studies, so hey, cool, two birds with one stone and all that jazz. It's been 9 years since I've been in college (I dropped out my sophomore year), and I'd forgotten how quickly a 50-minute class can go by. Egads! I actually found myself wanting class to *not* end today. -:) But I suppose I'll cope. It beats the hell outta Burger King, that's for sure! Now I'm happily on my way to being the pedantic geek I always wanted to be.... The Laughing God Love is the law, love under will. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718