From: Irv Koch Area: THE_OASIS To: Melissa Bech 31 Mar 94 19:53:48 Subject: Re: TWISTED UpdReq MB> MB> I thought SidheMail was getting it's feed from Baphonet or somewhaers. MB> You know how these rumors are! All I know is what I saw in the nodelist. Multiple feeds are a way of life around here. Also Nuit and PODS are different nets so he could get one from one and the other from the other. A lot of places one feed handles both. A lot of places, not. IK> Setting up a POINT is about half the work as setting up a board. IK> OTOH, setting up a board if you have someone else's to do a copy of IK> and then change is reasonable. MB> MB> I would be interested in learning about this. Guess I'll have to MB> actually do SOME work! OK. You asked. Depending on how you do it, you will need: Binkleyterm. This is what calls boards and answers. As a point, all you do is turn the mess on and have it call your "bossnode." You let it run until it answers, takes your outgoing stuff, and sends you your incomming --- or you get tierd of tieing up the phone line. There are variations of this which I'll leave to your imagination. Set up requires going thru the binkley.cfg file, preferably with a printout of someone elses in hand, and either filling in blanks (sort of), "commenting out" lines, or uncommenting them (effectively turning stuff on or off). It's more or less self explanatory (ha). I have a set of this stuff for examples called bbsetup.zip freqable from my system. (OH, yeah, since my bbs doesn't care if you're in any nodelist or not, you could freq from me, AS a point.) You also have to set up a few directories as per the docs on this (which are a mess but there's a special set floating around that someone peiced together). It becomes MASSIVELY easier if you can actually SEE someone's setup, on their machine. Binkley, btw, is not the only such program but the one I can help on. Step 2: Get Squish (or some other "tosser"). This takes incomming messages and tosses them like into ancient mail boxes. It also bundles up stuff to be fired outward. It takes two setup files (well, 3 counting the compress.cfg but that is near trivial -- it says what compression programs you use and some stuff -- like pkzip or whatever -- basically get a sample you like and leave it alone). The small file is called route.cfg. As a Point, yours will be REALLY simple -- it will in effect say "send everything to my bossnode, period, but wait 'til I call him (poll him) manually. The other basically, (if you use squish.cfg without something called areas.bbs, which is simplist) lists all your echo areas, the "tags" and directories. Both this and route.cfg have built in examples to follow. If you go the way I'm saying, SQUISH, will set all these directories (subdirectories actually) up for you. (And Binkley actually creates all outbound directories except one.) OK, next you get something called Timed. ACTUALLY, you might be able to get by with an offline message reader or something instead. This takes the place of bbs software. It's a message reader that lets you pretend you've logged into a bbs and DEALS WITH THE COMPRESSED SQUISH AREAS. It has a simple configuration file with simple instructions. Basically, you tell it "go look at squish.cfg and the names of the users are me and xyz." As a Point, if you have a NICE "Boss Node" (the board who is feeding you), you can skip something called nodeprocessor software and nodelists. You get (beg, bribe) the bossnode into giving you a special miniture nodelist called a pointlist. You will be, for instance, 1:123/456.777 AND 93:9800/99.777 AND 666:etc.777 for however many nets your bossnode is in. 777, in this example is your point number. Oh, you'll have to set timed or something up to put the correct origin line in for each zone (1, 93, 666, etc.) and other garbahge due to multiple nets but they may let you get away with JUST using the zone one number. This list is what Binkley uses as a phone book. Since you only dial your bossnode, you get the idea. Oops... one more complication ... netmail ... well, that's enough for now. Bottom line is, using a simple message editor that can deal with squish, you can skip half the work -- the actuall bbs software -- but still operate as a mini-oneperson callout only bbs. (I didn't lie when I said you could "freq" from someone like me -- that catch is you'd have to have a nodelist of some sort with their listing.) MB> IK> CAW is Church of All Worlds. MB> noticed if we get it here. Also, I have only figured out the Email MB> thing on internet so far... MB> So, are you folks members of CAW or simply supportive? I met Otter I am the BBS guru for CAW. I am a member and will go for scion (4th ring or whatever they call it now) real soon now. I just looked in Green Egg and found a miracle (couple missing ladies). CAW is lucky for me. MB> distaste for advertising MB> for Craft products/skills - part of my childhood training. I suppose MB> it's necessary to accept ads to publish, though. I imagine they have MB> a disclaimer that they do not necessarily endorse these advertisers and Oops. Continued next message. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Irv Koch Area: THE_OASIS To: Melissa Bech 31 Mar 94 20:23:02 Subject: Re: TWISTED UpdReq MB> distaste for advertising MB> for Craft products/skills - part of my childhood training. I suppose MB> it's necessary to accept ads to publish, though. I imagine they have MB> a disclaimer that they do not necessarily endorse these advertisers and They live to a large extent off the advs and dance around the issue. On the one hand, they by policy promote ANYONE and ANYTHING pagan. On the other hand they know some people hate anyone trying to make a living out of it and that some are bad news. They assume people are ok until they hear bitches and then they backpeddle. MB> I'd be interested in learning more about how the CAW nest thing works. MB> I just found out a few months ago that it's based somewhat on the It's more wiccan dominated now than SISL. That's not as I'd have it. This is going to get much longer than BBS operations. 1. CAW has one official ritual. The water sharing. Everything else is up to consenting adults or reasonable facsimile. OTOH, "Northern CA" has "their ways." Usually you and your nest or protonest do anything reasonable. 2. A protonest requires 3 paid members of CAW. If you go for full nest status, the main worker(s) will, in my opinion, make 4th circle in the process. There is some paperwork. You have to meet monthly. You can stay at that level forever. If you want full nest status (big deal ) you hang together for a year, get visited by one of the "Clergy" and generally convince they that you'll fit in ... and ... more importantly ... not screw them up with the IRS when they give you their 501(c)3 tax deduction/exemption number to use on a bank account. 3. Circles: 1st circle is anyone hanging out with CAW types. 2nd circle is you pay $35 (or a bit more if it's a family ganging up on one membership) and fill out an application that basically says you're in favor of sweetness and light. (This, basically excludes raging Satanists, Fundie Xtians, etc.) 4. 3rd circle (points finger at self) -- read SISL and Drawing Down the Moon. Do some other "merit badge" stuff per list. Nobody says anyone has to go above 2nd circle or even 1st, EVER, if they don't feel like it. It just comes in useful, in my opinion, if you want to get listened to. 3rd circle basically means "yeah, I'm not only willing to sign up but do some stuff to proove I'm really into this. The final thing is a 300 word (or whatever -- I suspect you'll ramble like most people) essay about your background and perceptions of CAW. After someone finally gets around to reading and processing it (their answer is "we're volunteers and have other lives too), you get a 3rd circle card. 5. 4th circle (first level of Scions) is "I'm not only really into this but willing to work a batch." You read some more, do some more, do some kind of work for CAW (like start a local protonest ... what did I say above ... or a BBS operation ... or something. Then there's a 1500 word or thereabouts comparative religion essay. They actually get a bit hard nosed on this. They insist Scions be able to compare CAW to their original religion and one other and not sound stupid. Typical question: Discuss if these religions are transendent or immanent. (Answer: Judiasm and Christianity are Transendent and for extra points I'm going to mumble about revealed religions vs otherwise. CAW is immanent. I get to explain what this means. 5th circle is "work real real hard, throw in an hour's pay a month (you get to say where it goes) and read a batch more and do a batch more stuff. I doubt I'll do THAT real soon but might. 6th circle is "I'm in this for life and would like to be clergy." I am not going into details on THAT and want NO personal part of it. OTOH, my personal "mission" is to shove 2 - 5 people within driving distance up to 7th circle and then lay back and rest. 7th circle is clergy. Legal marriage performing type and you get to run CAW National. 8th circle is clergy who's been there forever and really kicked ass. 9th circle is on the books as "no one has ever made this". One requirement is you have to have a major effect on the world. It's all great fun if taken properly. Wiccan covens and other groups have become nests, intact, just to join up with a loose, like minded national organization. You get Scarlet Flame as well as Green Egg if you're a member, by the way. The nest gets an excuse to be part of a national group instead of just a batch of people hanging out together. What it does other than get together monthly varies GREATLY from group to group. One guy in Boston, on PODS, just turned his Aphrodite worshipping family and a couple of friends into a protonest. I suspect you could easily do the same in Seattle -- and there's tons of people, I think, wanting a nest there. You get a list from National to mail to when you start, if you ask nice. You also get listed in Green Egg and Scarlett Flame. I could blather at length. MB> SISL book by Heinlein. I read it when I was in high school, only MB> because I was dating his nephew and it was "required", but I hated it MB> at the time. I wonder if things have changed in 23 years? You dated a RAH nephew????? Tell me MORE. (Sound of pinball major score.) Yes, it's changed. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Irv Koch Area: THE_OASIS To: Melissa Bech 31 Mar 94 20:55:32 Subject: Re: TWISTED UpdReq MB> took advantage of the situation. I didn't do all that much, but the MB> delight I took in the thought of a Priestess of Aphrodite waiting Another one!!!! Go see Joseph Teller et al in the CAW echo. (sigh) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718