From: Josh Norton Area: THE_OASIS To: Melissa Bech 7 Mar 94 15:40:06 Subject: Re: :) UpdReq Thus said Melissa Bech to Rose Dawn concerning Re: :): MB> staff and guests of honor. It worked. I also got to meet a woman MB> who I spent much of the Con talking with, she was very interesting. MB> We were chatting away and there were about a million "fan" types MB> lounging around at our knee, hangin on every word, and I asked her MB> what she does. There was a sharp intake of breath and a shocked MB> silence, then, one of the fangirls said "You don't know who she is, MB> do you?". It turns out she is a famous sci-fi writer (I've forgotten MB> her name, she was teaching at Kentucky University or something). I believe that would be Jean (sp?) Lorrah. She's worshipped by Fandom because she's a Fan Who Made It (i.e. became a pro SF writer) and a founding Trekkie. Not a terribly great writer, IMO. (Ducking loud curses and broken beer bottles from Fans. ) ... Don't torture yourself--that's my job. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Rose Dawn Area: THE_OASIS To: Melissa Bech 7 Mar 94 08:39:32 Subject: Re: :) UpdReq Jello! Not much happening around here lately. We're getting over the Colds from Hell, which is good. But I'm kinda slow...didn't go on the poker run on Saturday. I've even slacked off with my asana and pranayama practice! I'm hassling with the IRS again. Ayin Resh Gimel Heh! I'll keep repeating "Existence is pure joy" like a mantra till I get it right, I spoze. > My girl, who is supposed to have dark hair if what they tell you in > junior high biology is true about dominant traits, has blondish hair. > My son has naturally black hair. People use to look at me and his step- > dad and him in the store and ask how he got all that black hair. Some > people can be such morons, ya know? So, me, Mother of the Year, would > give them a brief lesson in the relationship of genetics and marital > status of one's parents. Either that or I'd say he was stolen from > the gypsies. He'd go into his pidgin Romany/yiddish routine.... LOL! I wonder how true that dominant trait stuff is. My mother has brown eyes, and out of seven kids, only one of us is brown-eyed, another sort of brownish-green hazel. The rest of us are various shades of green. Nobody has commented on Tami's and my respective hair color yet; but I get "Oh, you don't *look* old enough to have a daughter that age!" a lot, still. I know it's meant to be complimentary, but people should think before they speak. Occasionally I go ahead & tell 'em I had her at fourteen and watch their opinions of me change right before my eyes. ;> > I have only heard of most Seattle bands because they have been over > to parties or whatever...I don't get out much. I don't know what the > blind date thingie is, but it could be tons 'o fun, could'nt it? How do you invite them if you don't know 'em? Or do they just show up? I guess the Blind Date thingie could be fun, but I wasn't into driving down to a beach bar and searching for a parking spot for two hours, then "auditioning" inside with the Beach People. It's too late now. Also too late for the roach-coach push-cart deal, so I guess I'll just sit home, and then kick myself if any really good bands that I'd LOVE to see show up...I was *definitely* not going to audition for "The Grind" though & I guess that's where the bands would be. I'm outa the loop; I don't even know who's here when, much less where to run into them. It's probably just as well; with the shiny black hair, ripped jeans, and leather jacket, the Tammer looks too damn cute to be allowed out of the house at her age, much less hangin around looking for rockers! > I'm going to be working on some projects (as a conceptual artist) > with some local people. Besides the Braille tag-teams for graffiti > art, we're gonna do some performance pieces, I think. I have become > acquainted with a clever gentleman here named Blackhumour who should > be a lot of fun. Oh, and the photographer who did the Melissa Sounds way kool. ;> Please keep me informed! What does Blackhumor do? > That tat sounds very cool, I hope you get to have it done, anyhow. Oh, eventually I will. I still need to get "Tami Rose" with a li'l rose inked over my heart anyway. ;> > Sorry, I don't mean to offend...I have done some scarification in Offend? Moi? Shirley naught! ;> It was actually the branding thang I was referring to as being too intense for my tastes. > Illuminati Bavaria is a worldwide deal, I'll send you the info some > time. Lots of MotoGuzzis and so forth. We'll just keep cyclin' > somehow, magick will happen... Spaghetti burners! I knew a guy with an old Guzzi once. He spent as much time pushing it as the Purists did pushing their Harleys. Yeah, the bumper sticker on my car says "Magick Happens!" but I mostly slapped it on there as a quick way to cover up the former owner's ol lady's "Mary Kay Cosmetics" sticker. LOL, can you imagine? Maybe I should've left it on...with me & Tami cruising around, Mary Kay would probably be bankrupt in a matter of months. ;> 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718