From: Ismark Area: THE_OASIS To: All 22 Aug 93 07:11:00 Subject: ROBERTSON'S ANTICS UpdReq I just had to let everyone know: The other night I was sitting up, flipping channels on the box as I often do at such reficulous hours of the night, when I stumbled on the 700 club. Lo and behold there was old Patty on the screen taking calls from viewers who wanted financial advice. *Financial advice* of all things!!!! Hahahahahahaha, I couldn't believe it. God must've made him a financal adivisor or something. Any way, this poor sod called in and said that he was breaking even, that every bit he earned was paying his bills. He asked Robertson how much money he should have to put away in savings to have a decent future. Here's the greaaaaaat part. The first words out of Robertsons mouth weren't advice, they were, "You should take ten percent right off the top to give to the Lord." He went on to say that he didn't know how much should be put in savings and then told the poor guy to give 10% to God about a zillion more times. What great advice. It wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if you were starving and only making a dime a week, Robertson would want his, oops...I mean "God's" penny. I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle the guy. -> Alice4Mac 2.2b2 E QWK Eval:17Aug93 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Ismark Area: THE_OASIS To: Case 23 Aug 93 00:39:00 Subject: Re: ????? UpdReq In a message dated 08-19-93 CASE wrote to ISMARK: C> I wouldn't bash anybody for stating an opinion, I might argue with C> them but I try not to get to harsh. As for a subject of discussion, I I was having a grumpy day when I posted that, I didn't really think you'd bash me. C> have no idea. I just wanted to see if anybody was out there. Oh I've C> got an idea for a starting subject, how about musical tastes? Being a musicain, I could go for that but the rest of the users out there might become a little disenchanted with that one. C> (boring) or religious views? (probably a bad idea) or maybe even C> views on our government? (also probably a bad idea) Why don't you I don't think that I'd be all that wise to pursue those. Politics isn't any fun unless we're talking about the newest incompetent in office, and there's enough religon to go around a billion times over (g). C> pick or throw something in yourself? I'm open to anything. By the Let's just volley post back and forth until a subject emerges, that's how it happens between Rose and I. Usually something ridiculous turns into something interesting and intellegent. Which just goes to show that everything can be traced back to humor, and as such life shouldn't be taken seriously. C> way, I liked that one-liner "Desperation is the harbinger of genius" C> Did it just come to you or did you think that one out? That tagline camr straight from me little head. I'm probably one of the few people who takes about 15 miniutes before I answer my mail to think up a tagline. I always try to make them sound real profound so that everyone will think I'm a sage rather than the impetuous, impatient, overzealous, dingbat that I am (g). And when I can't think of a profound tagline I usually steal a profound quote from someone like Poe or Shakspeare so that everyone will think I'm learned and well read rather than the fast food, prepackaged, pop culture zombie that I am (G-again). And if that doesn't work I just steal lines from songs. I probably owe Neil Peart a fortune in gold for the lines I've copped from his songs. ...Everything doesn't happen for the best, it happens for us to make the best of. -> Alice4Mac 2.2b2 E QWK Eval:17Aug93 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718