From: Dionysia Marqueza Area: THE_OASIS To: Sea Queen 4 Oct 92 21:16:30 Subject: GUNS AND COMMON GOOD UpdReq SQ > MINE!" I have YET to hear one of these paranoid gun folks talk SQ > about the COMMON good they hope to accomplish by stockpiling SQ > weapons, and ammo. No, I hear them talk about what they will get for SQ > THEMSELVES. Protection, food, safety, revenge. FOR THEMSELVES. Now Cogent point, and one I have seen the basis for all too often. However... what seems like a jurassiac age ago, I spent some time living on an Indian reservation. Many of the people who lived on this rez were old, and in some cases, moderately infirm. In that the traditional family structure had broken down from young people leaving the rez in search of the "good life" (HAH!) these older folks were left to tend there sheep and pick up the odd bit of game to supplement already poor diets as best they could...which was amazingly well, under the circumstances, but tremendously poor by mnay standards. I spent a -lot- of time helping defend flocks from feral dogs (far more the enemy of the shepherd than -ever- Coyote has been,) and pot-hunting small game such as rabbits, birds and squirrels with the occassional prize of a javelina. All of this was accomplished with a variety of non-mechanical bows and a Ruger .22 pistol and a Sharps .22 rifle, with the firearms being the primarily used weapons. More often than not, it wasn't -my- family's pot that got the game, nor my sheep in peril. Likewise, I was not paid to do this: it it simple sense (for me, anyway,) that you do not let your neighbors and elders starve or lose their livelihood to a common menace. I grant, I did not stockpile huge numbers of firearms: I had what I wanted (for the most part, anyway,) and was comfortable and competent to use. Ammo, however, I tended to get in the -hugest- portions I could afford, since the nearest town of any size was -not- near, and weather, roads and transport very uncertain. My ability to do any of this would have been *severely* limited and hampered by some of the gun control measures I have seen proposed. Mine is not as uncommon a case as you might think... so think of that kid on the reservation, when weighing the merit of firearms laws, please. Dio 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Sea Queen Area: THE_OASIS To: Narthoniel 5 Oct 92 00:29:12 Subject: THANX UpdReq > Hmmm...anything more? No -- that's enough for now. Be safe, Sea > Queen. > Thank you, Narthoniel. Your concern is GREATLY appreciated. I've been around the political scene too long to take most virulence too seriously. :) I have no fear of harm from quarters such as these, or from minds that merely toe the line and quote the status quo. Ya know? I have nothing to fear from the good hearted freedom loving souls on here. Right? > Patriarchy: The Great Phallusy HA! HA! HA! Too funny. Consider it stolen! Thanx again, dear. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Sea Queen Area: THE_OASIS To: Dionysia Marqueza 5 Oct 92 00:35:44 Subject: Re: GUNS AND COMMON GOOD UpdReq > ability to do any of this would have been *severely* limited and > hampered by some of the gun control measures I have seen proposed. > Mine is not as uncommon a case as you might think... so think of > that kid on the reservation, when weighing the merit of firearms > laws, please. For this nation, it is an exception. Most of go to the grocery store for food. Most people who are hurting for food apply for welfare, not gun liscences. As I'm sure you can well guess, guns for hunting necessary food is not what gun control is about. I, for one, can't see where a mandatory 5 day wait, like the Brady bill proposes, or a background check, or the requirement of safety testing in order to be liscenced (like a car), and prohibiting the sale of unregistered guns through the mail might all be places where we can prevent enormous loss of life, not to mention crime, without bringing harm to the people you mentioned. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718