From: Serpens Area: THE_OASIS To: Diane Vera 20 Apr 92 20:22:46 Subject: Re: PENTAGRAMS Rec'd UpdReq Diane - I dunno if I am knowledgeable about the history of occultism - I have a "database" that serves my purposes, but I would hardly call it scholarly. Off the top of my head... - the GD definitely was down on averse pentagrams. The instruction in its use, symbolism, etc. was very strong on that point. There was no direct reference to Satanism, but I believe the bit abot symbolizing the ascension of the material over the spiritual was cited. - my own take on Reguli is that it is designed, by its substitution of Aeon of Horus symbols and sequences for cognate Aeon of Osiris elements, to "kick start" the Thelemic Current, as envisioned by AC, in the practitioner's aura/consciousness/whatever. If this hypothesis is correct, then Crowley's use of the symbol denominated evil by Mathers would be a deliberate refutation of the GD teaching described above. (whether this represented an esoteric version of a Crowleyan "shocker," a deliberate magical break with the Osirian egregore of the GD, or another kick at Mathers for being another failed father-substitute for Crowley (or all of the above) is a decision each must make for themselves). - I am trying to remember if Dennis Wheatley (when comes such another(g)) refers to the averse 'gram in his "black magic" novels, which certainly predate LaVey. As far as I know, the Sigil of Leviathan originated with LaVey. Hmmm - ironic note: it is plastered on the front of Wheatley's late novel "The Satanist" (in a 1972 printing). In fact, the Leviathan sigil was used as the trademark on all Ballantine's "Black Magic Series" reprints of Wheatley. I assume they paid LaVey for the license? - certainly all the pentagrams in the grimoires were point-up (viz. the Goetia), as far as I know. Hmm - one source I would check is Levi. A lot of the neoromantic Satanic revival (as well as the neoromantic occult revival in general) traces back to the Levi. I'll do some digging there. It seems to me that pentagrams played a role in the Vintras/Boullan wiz-war of that period too, but their direction I do not recall. Paul 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718