From: Q Area: Night Side To: Steven Craig 4 Sep 93 23:01:30 Subject: Scaling UpdReq SC> Hmm, the only specifics I've heard along these lines is that 7th SC> intervals were forbidden as demonic and evil. Personally, I think SC> flattened fifths sound way more sinister... SC> Do you know what specific scales & modes the church forbade? As a SC> musician, it would be nice to have a thorough database of devices to SC> terrify the pious... :-) In the early church, scales, such as we know them, were arranged and approached differently. Without going into to much detail, they didn't "transpose" like we do. That is to say, a melody which started on one note would sound totally different if it started on a different one. To "transpose" means keeping the relationship between the notes (i.e. the amount of space between them) consistent, no matter what note you start with. When they moved a melody up or down, the relationships changed. You can hear the effects of this by playing a "C" scale on the piano. Next, play another 8-note scale, only start on a different key and play only the white notes. When one starts on a "D," the mode is called Dorian. Starting on the "E" makes a Lydian mode. There are names for all the modes, but I don't remember them all. One was strictly forbidden. It is called the Locrian mode. You may hear this blasphemous mode by starting your scale on a "B" and playing only the white keys to the next "B." The reason this mode was forbidden was because it contained the "flattened fifth" you mentioned (called a "diminished fifth" or a "tritone" in musical terms). This was the Devil's interval. (other modes may have this same interval, but it was in such a place as one didn't really notice it for reasons too complex to go into here.) BTW, the music to "West Side Story" is based on the tritone interval. Q 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Ismark Area: Night Side To: Deep Black 2 Sep 93 15:59:00 Subject: Re: SHAMANISTIC C.M. UpdReq In a message dated 08-28-93 DEEP BLACK wrote to JONATHON BLAKE: JB> It is a rythm that the holy roman catholic empire forbade JB> people to play, as they believed it invoked the devil. DB> DB> In learning scales on the guitar, I found that the R.C. church DB> forbade all but a few. These "diabolical" scales were termed "the DB> lustful inventions." What _didn't_ they screw with? What *didn't* they screw with? Well, I'd guess the Lydian and Aeloian modes of the C scale, that's about it. Why some old hymns are written in A minor I could never figure, always seemed rather gloomy to me. ...Resolve in the face of adversity. -> Alice4Mac 2.2b2 E QWK Eval:17Aug93 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Twitch The Vorpal Bu Area: Night Side To: Steve Bedard 3 Sep 93 15:00:00 Subject: Re: Any Satanists? UpdReq -=> On 08-30-93 13:17, Steve bantered to Hector about Any Satanists? <=- SB> If the Jews had no knowledge of Satan, why would Jesus mention him so SB> much to them? Simple, he didn't. Monks already brainwashed by mother church did. Get edukatid, go ask a Rabbi what the Jewish believe in. He'll be all to happy to explain that Jewish do not, and never have subscribed to the Xtian myth of Satan. ... Won't find a Babble Fish on my car. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Steven Craig Area: Night Side To: Eulenspygel 6 Sep 93 13:58:06 Subject: Chaos Theory/Magic UpdReq E> Would you recomment to use a sigil _plus_ a chant for _one_ certain E> goal or would it be a waste of effort? If I may add my $0.02, I think that the more different ways in which you can approach a goal, the better. Thus, I would advise going ahead with both chant and sigil, with consideration given to divine petition, positive affirmation, and Secret Gypsy Candle Magic as well. My philosophy for working with sigils is a bit different than Spare's in at least one aspect (or at least so it seems - I've not studied Spare enough to be an authority). He recommends that after charging a sigil, one should lock it away in a box and utterly forget about it. While I do exactly that with the physical talisman itself, I think it is very important to keep the energy of the sigil constantly on your mind, while at the same time not thinking about the intended purpose of the sigil. For example, if I were doing a working to manifest a more elegant, aesthetic lifestyle, I might draw a picture of a gorgeous, curvaceous woman in a $2300 red dress, wearing pearls & diamonds and drinking champagne. By pondering this image every day, I am not saying over and over "I'm going to be rich and famous!" (which probably wouldn't have a hell of a lot of effect), but rather exposing myself to an image which is pleasing and inspiring to think about, and draws lots of associations deep in the subconcious, where the imprint of the sigil was placed during its charging. For this reason, my sigils recently have become of a more complex character than the composite lineal figures which Spare suggests. I like to get really artsy with it, but generally, the sigil art is of a nature that if anyone else looked at it, they would have a difficult time figuring out what the purpose of the sigil is - I think it's important not to have too obvious an association. ___ X MMST 2.09 UnRegistered * ...and we would spread so far, just like Arcadia... 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718