From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: All 9 Feb 97 23:58:30 Subject: PODCON: The Gathering UpdReq * Original Area: magicknet * Original To : All (93:9610/0) Greetings: For over a decade now, first on Magicknet, then PODnet, many of us have been conversing, exchanging ideas, and yes, sometimes even fighting...but through that all we have slowly been building a community throughout our little portion of Cyberspace. We've helped people get over death, near death, financial crisis's, and a great variety of other crisis...and we have celebrated friend's great joys, births, joinings, and generally getting their lives togther. Many virtual hugs of comfort and joy have been exchanged over the years. But in all of this, we have missed one thing: Meeting each other face to face to make those hugs actual rather than virtual. A few of us would like to change that, and we are looking for some people to help us with that. We have started a new echo called PODCON Planning, echotag "podcon_planning". It is available from 93:9000/0 and myself (93:9610/0) right now. Moderator is myself. A few inital details about this initiative: - We are aiming, very tentativly, at the holding it the weekend before, or the weekend after the World Science Fiction Convention in San Antonio, Texax this year. - Location, again very tenativly, is somewhere in the Austin Area. - There is a strong push to have it in the format of a camping festival, and a weeker push to have it in a hotel in a convention format, ala a Science Fiction convention. (late news...we might have found a site that gives us both!) So, if you feel you can give us a hand in anyway, shape or form, please pick up ask your Sysop this echo, and jump in once you are connected! Thank you very much for you time. ttyl Farrell 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Vulpie Area: Mundane To: Jrtm 12 Feb 97 15:14:02 Subject: Sex Offenders UpdReq JR> * Crossposted from: FIDO Civil Liberties Echo JR>Now I'm not in favor of sex crimes, but neither am I in favor of JR>this first cousin to _ex post facto_ legislation. We, the people JR>(actually they, the people of Kansas), through elected JR>representatives, decided at one time that the punishment for child JR>sexual molestation was five to 20 years. By what right can the JR>Kansas Legislature impose a virtual life sentence on someone who JR>already was sentenced to a lesser term? I'm against a life sentence for sex offenders, too. See my tagline. It tells my opinion so well. Blessed be. ___ X SLMR 2.0 X An executed child molestor doesn't reoffend. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Eileen O'Croinan Area: Mundane To: Farrell McGovern 25 Feb 97 22:16:54 Subject: PODCON: The Gathering UpdReq FM> But in all of this, we have missed one thing: Meeting FM> each other face to face to make those hugs actual rather than FM> virtual. FM> A few of us would like to change that, and we are looking FM> for some people to help us with that. FM> We have started a new echo called PODCON Planning, FM> echotag "podcon_planning". It is available from 93:9000/0 and FM> myself (93:9610/0) right now. Moderator is myself. FM> A few inital details about this initiative: FM> - We are aiming, very tentativly, at the holding it the FM> weekend before, or the weekend after the World Science Fiction FM> Convention in San Antonio, Texas this year. Welcome, neighbor! FM> - Location, again very tenativly, is somewhere in the Austin FM> Area. FM> - There is a strong push to have it in the format of a camping FM> festival, and a weeker push to have it in a hotel in a convention FM> format, ala a Science Fiction convention. (late news...we might FM> have found a site that gives us both!) >>>wow<<< Let me know where, so that I might make arangements to work nearby (I'm a TX Registered Massage Therapist, with contacts for paying clients in most major municipalities in-state) FM> So, if you feel you can give us a hand in anyway, shape FM> or form, please pick up ask your Sysop this echo, and jump in FM> once you are connected! I'd like to be there... Will cross-post this to StarChild, since I'd be dragging him along! FM> Thank you very much for you time. Thank You, for the courtesy of the notice! B*B! Eileen 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718