From: Aqualyra Area: Mundane To: Thomas Izaguirre 29 Jul 96 12:59:10 Subject: New Oppression in Tibet - sacred lake in dangerUpdReq Hi Thomas - thanks for posting that... You might be interested to know that China is busy planning the building of a hydroelectric generating facility on the shores of Lake Yamdrok, or Yamdrok Tso. The lake is precipitation only fed and the plan is to drain it to use turbines, with no plan to recirculate the water. So ecologically this just sucks dead bears. Here's the kicker, though, from a spiritual perspective. Tibetans, much like First nations people in North America, consider the land to be sacred... lakes and mountains are especial sites of spiritual significance. The Tibettans have a concept called bla [pronounced la] which roughly means soul, and this soul is linked with a special repository place, often a mountain or lake. If something happens to the place where one's bla is seated, then certain harm will come to that person. *ahem* So guess what Yamdrok tso is the bla for? :( The nation of Tibet - the Tibetan people themselves. The Chinese have a not unfamiliar concept - feng shui -> ley lines. and in this are recogtnized masters - they are very much aware what draining the sacred lake will do , if nothing else, at least psychologically to the Tibetans. It's evil - that's all I can say. The Chinese gov't. I mean. They know damn well what thsi will do and I believe it is a deliberate abnd insidious attempt to end Tibettans concept of themselves, which so far regular methods of oppression have been unable to do. If anyone is interested and they have Internet access, there is a site with more information on what to do to help. URL: http://www.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca/dams Or do a search for the Dam-Reservoir Impact and Information Archive or for Yamdrok Tso. Please pass this information around - pagans of all people can appreciate what a downright rotten thing it is to drain the alke in which the soul of a nation and people is located. *shudder* :( -thanks for any help with this... May the Spirit that animates the universe light your path for you! -'lyra 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718