From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: All 22 May 95 10:32:34 Subject: Mourning for Nixon UpdReq From THE CAPITAL TIMES for the Weekend of May 20-21, 1995. YOUTHS NOSTALGIC FOR NIXON John Nichols Green Bay -- Richard Nixon's grinning mug stared out from the red, white, and blue political badge pinned to Mike Iwinski's shirt. Beneath the former president's image, a bold logo declared, "Legends never die!" "I really, really wish Nixon was still around," announced the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay sophomore as he prepared to watch the 1996 Republican candidates pitch their wares here this weekend. "These new guys are OK, but Nixon--well, Nixon was great." Iwinski's friend from College Republican clubs around the state nodded in solemn agreement. "Yes, yes," they chimed. "Too bad Nixon's gone." Then a broad smile crossed the cherubic face of Iwinski, who serves as vice chair of his school's College Republican group. "Reagan's still around!" he shouted. True, but the former president is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. "Hey!" cautioned Chris Rasmussen, executive director of the UW-Green Bay College Republicans, "Reagan with Alzheimer is still better than Clinton with a memory." With their "Do you believe Bill Clinton ot Genifer Flowers?" bumper stickers and their "Two Terms For Clinton--The Second One In Jail" badges, the Republican Youth left no doubt about their sentiments regarding the current president. But they were far less impassioned regarding the men who hope to replace the Democratic incumbent. "I really do wish we had a Nixon or a Reagan," Iwinski groused. "I feel like our generation is kind of cheated." While Bob Dole, Phil Gramm, Pete Wilson and Lamar Alexander are pulling out all the stops to impress Republicans from 13 states gathered here this weekend, the generation of GOPers that came of age in the Reagan-Bush era was in a decidedly nostalgic mood. "I'm really kind of disappointed that Dan Quayle isn't running," complained Judy Depies, a UW-Green Bay sophomore. "I've liked him ever since I was in junior high. He was right about just about everything, I mean, so what if he spelled 'potato' wrong?" "Yes, yes," the chorus agreed, "Quayle was great." But, really, said Matt Martini, a junior from UW-Stevens Point, Reagan was the best. "I'm going to weep when that men dies," he told his fellows. "He's not going to die," corrected Iwinski. "He's going to transform into his immortal self." With that, the College Republicans trotted off to hear Alan Keyes, a former Reagan aide and longshot 1996 candidate, who was the first of the contenders schedule to address the party`s Midwest Leadership Conference. Keyes, a militant foe of what he refers to as "this wicked doctrine of abortion," pulled out all the stops with a fiery address that drew racuous applause. When asked if he could work with pro-choice Republicans, Keyes declared, "They're certainly welcom e at the table. But when they invite us to serve up our offspring, that's where I draw the line." With that, the crowd was on its feet, whooping encouragement for the no-holds barred candidate. "Impressive," allowed Depies after Keyes finished. "But he's still no Reagan. I'm just afraid we'll never love anyone the way we love Reagan." 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: All 22 May 95 10:32:34 Subject: Mourning for Nixon UpdReq From THE CAPITAL TIMES for the Weekend of May 20-21, 1995. YOUTHS NOSTALGIC FOR NIXON John Nichols Green Bay -- Richard Nixon's grinning mug stared out from the red, white, and blue political badge pinned to Mike Iwinski's shirt. Beneath the former president's image, a bold logo declared, "Legends never die!" "I really, really wish Nixon was still around," announced the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay sophomore as he prepared to watch the 1996 Republican candidates pitch their wares here this weekend. "These new guys are OK, but Nixon--well, Nixon was great." Iwinski's friend from College Republican clubs around the state nodded in solemn agreement. "Yes, yes," they chimed. "Too bad Nixon's gone." Then a broad smile crossed the cherubic face of Iwinski, who serves as vice chair of his school's College Republican group. "Reagan's still around!" he shouted. True, but the former president is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. "Hey!" cautioned Chris Rasmussen, executive director of the UW-Green Bay College Republicans, "Reagan with Alzheimer is still better than Clinton with a memory." With their "Do you believe Bill Clinton ot Genifer Flowers?" bumper stickers and their "Two Terms For Clinton--The Second One In Jail" badges, the Republican Youth left no doubt about their sentiments regarding the current president. But they were far less impassioned regarding the men who hope to replace the Democratic incumbent. "I really do wish we had a Nixon or a Reagan," Iwinski groused. "I feel like our generation is kind of cheated." While Bob Dole, Phil Gramm, Pete Wilson and Lamar Alexander are pulling out all the stops to impress Republicans from 13 states gathered here this weekend, the generation of GOPers that came of age in the Reagan-Bush era was in a decidedly nostalgic mood. "I'm really kind of disappointed that Dan Quayle isn't running," complained Judy Depies, a UW-Green Bay sophomore. "I've liked him ever since I was in junior high. He was right about just about everything, I mean, so what if he spelled 'potato' wrong?" "Yes, yes," the chorus agreed, "Quayle was great." But, really, said Matt Martini, a junior from UW-Stevens Point, Reagan was the best. "I'm going to weep when that men dies," he told his fellows. "He's not going to die," corrected Iwinski. "He's going to transform into his immortal self." With that, the College Republicans trotted off to hear Alan Keyes, a former Reagan aide and longshot 1996 candidate, who was the first of the contenders schedule to address the party`s Midwest Leadership Conference. Keyes, a militant foe of what he refers to as "this wicked doctrine of abortion," pulled out all the stops with a fiery address that drew racuous applause. When asked if he could work with pro-choice Republicans, Keyes declared, "They're certainly welcom e at the table. But when they invite us to serve up our offspring, that's where I draw the line." With that, the crowd was on its feet, whooping encouragement for the no-holds barred candidate. "Impressive," allowed Depies after Keyes finished. "But he's still no Reagan. I'm just afraid we'll never love anyone the way we love Reagan." 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718