From: Shadow Weaver Area: Mundane To: Amethyst 15 Oct 94 07:01:56 Subject: Anouncement UpdReq Amethyst, I read your message and I am so sorry for the things you had to go through. But if you think about it, that's what pro-choice is all about. You never had a choice. You were forced into something by someone who, apparently, didn't care about anything but her "reputation" and standing in the community. This was a crime and never should have happened. The choice was not hers, it was yours and was denied to you, the same way "pro-lifers" would deny it to anyone. I feel for you and wish this had never happened to you or anyone else. I am male and may never completely understand, but I know pain when I see it. I for one am willing to help. I agree with you about abortion for convenience, but you are not in a position to know the reasons that women go to abortion clinics. Many of them CAN'T have another child, not for convenience, but for survival. I lieved with a lady at one time. We loved each other very much and were raising her first child. The economy was shit and while I was working, it wasn't for great money, and was temp work. Having another child would have destroyed our family completely. This was not a case of unprotected sex or carelessness. The bloody pill didn't work. She was one of those 0.01 unlucky percent for whom the pill failed just once. We didn't know she was pregnant until she was about 6-8 weeks along, and had continued taking her pills regularly for the entire time. This was not an easy decision for either of us, and neither of us regarded the pregnancy as a "lump of flesh." I went through hell that week as we prepared for it. The day of our appointment, we were sitting in the waiting room when a bunch of "people" forced their way into the clinic, assaulted a nurse on the way in and chained themselves to the walls, beds, and anything else they could find. This did not make it any easier for either of us and added several days to the wait because the doctors would NOT go back to the clinic. As I said, I for one, do care. I don't participate in the protests on either side, as you don't. I don't think there should be protests. But I will say this. Friends of mine working clinic defense have mentioned to me that they have seen screaming women being verbally (and in some cases physically) assaulted as they tried to go to a clinic. Some of these women were there for pre-natal care, but none of the mindless morons spouting filth in the name of Christ would bother to listen. They were called whores and sluts for daring to be pregnant. I grant you, both sides make mistakes. But in the long run, I find myself on the side of freedom. Without these mindless idiots, it would be possible to counsel women on all the choices. But as it stands, they are to blame for the repression and lack of information preventing such counseling. They don't want kids to get pregnant, but they don't allow them to be taught how NOT to get pregnant. They put their ideals and religion above the welfare of people. For many of us who believe in choice, it's not a score-keeping match. It's really about choice. You were denied choice, just as they would deny choice to all. Forcing someone to have an abortion, as happened to you, is just as bad as forcing someone to keep a child they CAN NOT care for. I feel for you and keep you in my thoughts. Morgan 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718