From: Josh Norton Area: Mundane To: Balanone 14 Aug 94 15:19:00 Subject: Turtle soup / meat UpdReq Thus said Balanone to All concerning Turtle soup / meat: Ba> My wife (the compu-phobic one) has been trying to make some Ba> turtle soup, but she's been unable to find any local or mail-order Ba> source for turtle meat. Does anyone know of a (legal) source Ba> where we can buy turtle meat? I don't have any sources, but I do have a word of caution. Turtle meat goes bad really FAST. Less than a day. After water-borne diseases, eating rancid turtle meat (even when well-cooked) is the major cause of illness for Yanquis visiting Mexico. Refrigeration helps a little, but only complete freezing stops it. If you're getting it from some mail-order source, make sure beforehand that they freeze it immediately upon butchering, and that they pack it in enough dry ice to keep it completely frozen until it gets to you. ... Man, that was a tough banishment... Hey, where's Balanone? ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Almighty Lord Of Cheese Area: Mundane To: All 16 Aug 94 21:04:00 Subject: meagick study UpdReq Hi :). I'm interested in the study of magick, have been for quite a while, but my resources were nil until just lately. Now a flood of imformation has engulfed me, and for maybe the first time i feel that maybe religion is not just some bullshit made up by an ignorant fool. i have endless questions about magick, which may come off as attacks on it, but i really do intend them to be questions: religion started when man noticed things; he saw the sun rising and falling, he saw the day end with the moon and begin with the day, he saw that when it rained clouds came, and that lightning sometimes struck the earth-not having an answer for any of it, he started to make answers up that made sense to him : the sun rised every morning because the sun spirit took his daily ride and climbed to the top of a large mountain, then went back home to rest. The moon came out to take her daily ride after the sun, because she was afraid to come out during the day, in fear of the sun (this is just an example..=) Now man knew he needed the sun spirit to take his ride every day, so that light could provide them the ability to hunt and gather food, and he knew he needed the moon spirit to come out at night so that it wasn't pitch black and man was vulnerable to the beasts of the wild. So, to keep the sun spirit happy, he went to the top of a mountain, and made sacrafices in honor of him. And he did the same for every other spirit that he needed. Soon, special men said that they knew which sacrafices to make to keep the gods especially happy, and since they could make the gods so happy, the gods [or spirits] would grant them special abilities, or do special things for them.. thus, the birth of magick.. Something like that happened in every early culture, and religions like that (called nature worship, since man is essentially worshipping nature), still very much exist-ShinTao, for example. Who's to say that all magick is, is that? Somebody saying that they can make spirits really happy, thus granting them spiffy gifts or doing groovy things for them-whatever? I guess this is more celtic magick then white or red or black magick.. That last thingy really could be a question for anybody believing in any sort of god, as well. Who's to say that all gods are, are mans false explanation for things he doesn't understand? There's two questions.. Numero 3: Other forms of magick-I believe in magick. But I don't think it has anything to do with a god. I think it's man, creating his own energy, building it up, then directing it at a focused target..this isn't a question, but a statement i'd be interested in the replies of :) I would like to gather some people to spellcast and meditate. I am about as beginner as it gets, though, and don't know ow useful I'd be in spellcasting.. o 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Grendel Grettisson Area: Mundane To: The Almighty Lord Of Cheese 17 Aug 94 00:46:00 Subject: meagick study UpdReq > religion started when man noticed things; he saw the sun rising > and falling, he saw the day end with the moon and begin with the day, he > saw that when it rained clouds came, and that lightning sometimes struck > the earth-not having an answer for any of it, he started to make answers > up that made sense to him : the sun rised every morning because the sun > spirit took his daily ride and climbed to the top of a large mountain, > then went back home to rest. The moon came out to take her daily ride > after the sun, because she was afraid to come out during the day, in > fear of the sun (this is just an example..=) Some would say religion started when humanity first became aware of the gods which already existed and began to interact with them. Wassail, Grendel Grettisson Internet:mimir@io.com 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Almighty Lord Of Cheese Area: Mundane To: Grendel Grettisson 17 Aug 94 02:42:00 Subject: meagick study UpdReq So are you saying tht the guy who said "we've gotta do this and that to keep this god happy" was a prophet? somebody chosen by the gods to tell everybody about themselves? GG> > religion started when man noticed things; he saw the GG> sun rising GG> > and falling, he saw the day end with the moon and begin with GG> the day, he GG> > saw that when it rained clouds came, and that lightning GG> sometimes struck GG> > the earth-not having an answer for any of it, he started to GG> make answers GG> > up that made sense to him : the sun rised every morning GG> because the sun GG> > spirit took his daily ride and climbed to the top of a large GG> mountain, GG> > then went back home to rest. The moon came out to take her GG> daily ride GG> > after the sun, because she was afraid to come out during the GG> day, in GG> > fear of the sun (this is just an example..=) GG> GG> Some would say religion started when humanity first became GG> aware of the gods which already existed and began to interact GG> with them. GG> GG> Wassail, GG> Grendel Grettisson GG> Internet:mimir@io.com GG> GG> --- GG> * Origin: -= The Sacred Grove =- Seattle, WA V.32 GG> (206)322-5450 (1:343/56) o 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718