From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Urhla 22 Jun 94 18:10:08 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq UR>As for trance states............what do you find the most effective way to >enter into a trance state, other than bunny nose rubbing. UR>I always find that an incense helps. Frankincense sends me right off. I jus >love it!!!! My first trance states were completely spontaneous, and involved controlled substances and unrequited lust. I learned how to "get there" without the "road maps", though, and now all I have to do to trance is usually to just *want* to. In fact, I have more of a problem now with having to KEEP myself from slipping into a trance at times (you can't stare in adoration at the Moon while you're driving!). Ummm....lessee... Certain pieces of music, most of which wouldn't do a thing for another person because their value lies in their personal meaning to *me*. Certain TYPES of music - a lot of the "New Agey" stuff is pretty good. Wearing stereo headphones intensifies the effect. The "Isis, Astarte, Diana, Hekate, Demeter, Kali, Inanna!" chant. Lots of other chants. Staring at a point source of light, like a candle flame or a reflection of sunlight on sparkling water. Staring up at the full Moon. Abstract-design stained glass windows with the light streaming through them. A good kaleidoscope will do, or one of those spinning disc tops with the prismatic material on the surface. The scent of honeysuckle (plentiful around here right now). The incense we use in Circle (which is actually "church" incense, called "Gloria" - so, if the "vibes" don't weird me out, I can trance in a Catholic or Episcopal church). It has frankincense and myrrh in it, and I think cinnamon and a few other things. A gentle, sensual-but-not-explicitly-sexual massage or back/neck rub. Some people with a lot of magick in their hands (they are generally Healers) can just touch my hand or my shoulder or my forehead or something and send me into trance (or bring me back out). Some people's voices are natural trance-inducers, too. If someone with that kind of a voice is doing a pathworking....I may not *want* to come back! I used to trance spontaneously sometimes when I was using my Tarot cards or Runestones. These days, I allow myself to trance on purpose before I start. I almost forgot to mention DRUMMING! --- SLMR 2.0 Effing the effing ineffable... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Urhla 22 Jun 94 18:10:10 Subject: giggling UpdReq UR>Your coven sounds like you have a great sense of humour. I really feel that >that is important. What a terrific idea about celebrating other traditiona >holidays. Some of them mean a lot to me, especially thanksgiving. My High Priestess always has a potluck Thanksgiving dinner; she makes the turkey, and people bring veggies, breads, salads, desserts, etc. She calls it "Waifs and Strays" Thanksgiving; it's for people who don't have relatives to go to (or can't get to them). I've never been to one, because I always had family to deal with; since my mother and mother-in-law are both gone now, I'm the one who does the whole production for the family (and it's just my husband, our son, and my father...we're running out of relatives...). But Thanksgiving is ultimately a Harvest festival, and quite small-p pagan in nature. BTW, one of my ancestors was actually *at* that "first Thanksgiving". Not that it matters. --- SLMR 2.0 Your tribe's customs are NOT the laws of the Universe! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718