From: Josh Norton Area: Mundane To: Icon 13 Jun 94 13:05:00 Subject: enviro-fun UpdReq Thus said Icon to Josh Norton concerning enviro-fun: JN> and TV stations. Look at the way they've capitalized on the JN> "Increasing JN> Crime in Our Society" issue, when the crime rate has really held JN> steady JN> for the last 30 years or so. Ic> Ic> Oh, so this is why I find a dozen new cartridges in my yard each week. Ic> Guess you picked the wrong neighborhood to live in! The "official" crime rate, compiled by the FBI from local and state reports, hasn't varied more than 5% around the median in that period. If it's increasing in some areas of town, that means it must be going down in others. Which seems to be the case here in Cincy; violent crime seems to be getting focused in the poor downtown areas and around a few "trouble magnets" like the university. ... Stwike him, centuwion, vewwy woughly. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Fir Area: Mundane To: Lady Witch 13 Jun 94 06:35:00 Subject: NY Chit Chat UpdReq LW> Did you perhaps attend the weekend workshop that Starhawk gave LW> Blue Star that summer of '81???? At the covenstead in LW> Queen's???? Sure did. As I recall there were quite a few people in that workshop with 8th house Suns. This was one of the first times I noticed that there is sometimes a common astrological denominator among attendees at a class, etc. I initially met Tzipora when she had the shop 'Tzipora and the Wizard' on Third Ave. Took a tarot class and then a Wicca 101 class with her. Blessed Be, Fir 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kevin Bold Area: Mundane To: All 14 Jun 94 19:07:28 Subject: Straightening the Record UpdReq 93! FS/GM> I see that while (Kevin Bold) is falsely accusing me of libel in a court of law, I have neither filed nor do I plan to file a lawsuit against Gary Martin. While I obviously wouldn't have trouble proving falsehood and malice, I _would_ have trouble proving that Gary's statements have damaged me, due to his low circulation and even lower credibility. Due to his financial situation, there would be nothing for me to collect, and lawyers don't take cases like that. FS/GM> ...the reason (Sharon) *hinted* that she might sue Bold, by the way, was simply that he had been harassing her by telephone and mail. Sharon explicitly threatened in writing to sue me for libel in August 1992. Her letter made no mention of prosecution for harassment, and to prove my point, I will send a photocopy of that letter to anyone who wants one. My address is 4885-A McKnight Road #247, Pittsburgh PA 15237. FS/GM>...the dreaded demon, G.M.Kelly... Naah. Just a guy who, as evidenced by his writings, is neither a knowledgeable person nor pleasant company. FS/GM> The fact of the matter is, within the pages of THE NEWAEON NEWSLETTER and the supplemental ENCYCLICAL LETTERS I *HAVE* proven my allegations, very often by quoting the very words of the gang as published in THE MAGICAL LINK, if not in other ways. Gary has made some bizarre _claims_, and yes, he has quoted _portions_ of letters and articles, but the only thing he's ever _proven_ is that a lot of people don't like him. FS/GM> What Bold expected me to do was to forward six volumes of TNN and all the many accompanying ELs to him absolutely free of charge... I never asked for any such thing. I asked for proof of his claims: who told him what and how could I contact them to check out their stories. He refused, despite my offer to compensate him for postage and any photocopying costs as well as to resign from the O.T.O. if I found it convincing. (I could go on to debate all of Gary's other "points", but why bother?) The saddest part is the fact that if Gary had learned how to control his ego, accept rejection as a fact of life, and get along with other people, he could have done some dynamite things for the occult in general as well as Thelema. (*sigh*) BTW, Gary _will_ be getting a copy of this by snail mail, since it means so much to him. 93--93/93... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: URHLA 11 Jun 94 20:51:00 Subject: life UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Urhla to Liana ... Ur> I think that that is a terrific subject to study. Ive always wanted Ur> to work with endangered species or be Gerald Durrel's wife. Have you Ur> ever been to a biosphere? Nope. I don't think I'd like it, actually. It creeps me out. I love the earth too much... I like knowing that there are deserts so vast and varied that some resemble wind-swept oceans... sigh. The most glorious desert I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing was the Negev from the summit of Mount Masada in Israel. Incredible. Ur> As for the piano, I must say that I adore the Chopin concertos. I was Ur> brought up by them. I sometimes wish that todays music could be more Ur> like Chopin or Mozart. Two of my favorites! I swear that Mozart lurks about all musicians in spirit... I cringe to think what he must think of my interpretation of his works (the snot is probably laughing his ass off right now ;) Ur> Do you have a catalogue for your used occult bookstore? What is the Ur> store called? Alas, I dont have crafts for sale, but I do know one or Ur> two people who do. The store is only in the planning stages, as of yet. Depending upon the amount of crafts I get, I may print up a catalogue. That's why I've posted about it here on PODS... I'd love to carry the work of people all over the nation. The name of the shop is The Magick Cat (rather appropriate for my household). If your friends are interested, I would be delighted to speak with them! I hope to open in the beginning of May, 1995. Ur> Thanks for the address. My pleasure! Hope you find what you need. Blessed Be. -l ... When you are out of your body, are you naked? ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 13 Jun 94 06:13:24 Subject: Eco-Paranoia? UpdReq GTP> GTP> Short of blowing Her to bits, we cannot destroy the GTP> GTP> Mother....only ourselves. GTP> GTP> LL> And a whole lot of other species. We aren't the only ones that GTP> LL> live here. GTP> GTP> LL> We are currently in the midst of one of the greatest GTP> LL> extinction spasms in geological history. A *conservative* GTP> LL> estimate is that we are losing 27,000 species per year -- GTP> LL> that's 3 every hour.* The primary causes are habitat GTP> LL> destruction, pollution, overhunting, and introduction of GTP> LL> exotic speices and diseases. GTP> GTP> LL> So no, we may not be able to destroy the Mother herself -- but GTP> LL> we're doing a damn good job of wiping out Her other children. GTP> GTP> All right....I'm a terrible person because I believe that humans GTP> have a right to live and grow and maybe learn to live in harmony GTP> with their environment... Excuse me, but how on Earth did you get *that* out of what I posted??? I didn't attack you, or anyone else...I just pointed out that our current way of life is damaging more than just ourselves. I don't think there was any call for you to take it as a personal attack. GTP> maybe you will all get lucky and the next time I'm cutting firewood GTP> I'll hit one of those spikes put in trees by the wonderful GTP> eco-terrorists and die.... 1. Unless you're cutting firewood in an endangered old-growth forest where a heated environmental battle is taking place, the chances of that happening are precisely zero. 2. Even if you did decide to go chop down a 200-foot-tall, 4,000-year-old cedar in Clayoquot Sound or wherever for firewood, the practice of groups that did use tree-spiking was generally to (a) place the spikes high enough up that they wouldn't be hit by a chainsaw, just by the sawmill later, and (b) to clearly post in the area that it had been spiked, as well as sending notices to the media, the police, the Forest Service or equivalent, and the company holding the timber license. The idea was to keep the trees fro mbeing cut in the first place, not to punish people for cutting them after the fact. 3. Any spikes you did run into (Assuming that you were cutting in an area such as described in #2, and standing on a very tall ladder to do so) would probably be very old, since most so-called "eco-terrorists" gave up that tactic some years back, mainly due to the bad publicity generated by those who didn't understant points 1 & 2 above. BTW, the total number of tree-spiking injuries recorded in North America is one, and that one was due to faulty safety equipment at a sawmill, and involved a spike that had been placed not by any environmental group, but by a right-wing conservative who owned property bordering the area being cut. GTP> after all, it's alright to kill humans, even if they aren't doing GTP> anything wrong, because they are human. I don't believe this and neither does any other radical environmentalist I have ever met. I really don't know why you assume that I think humans are evil, just because I pointed out that we are causing an accelerated rate of species extinctions. That's a leap that defies logic completely. Maybe you feel you have been personally attacked by environmentalists elsewhere, and are simply assuming that I must think whatever they do. If so, please don't. I am quite willing to take responsibility for the things that I do say and think, but not for things I don't. ___ * Freddie 1.2 * All men are brothers, we like to say, half-wishing sometimes in secret it were not true. But perhaps it is true. And is the evolutionary line from protozoa to Spinoza any less certain? That also may be true. We are obliged, therefore, to spread the news, painful and bitter though it may be for some to hear, that all living things are kindred. (Edward Abbey) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Eric Anderson Area: Mundane To: Paul Seymour 12 Jun 94 09:56:36 Subject: Christianity & Wicca UpdReq The Bible also states that Christ is the only, repeat only, name by which men can be saved. This would seem to preclude any other God or Goddess. John, in his first epistle, also states that no one overcomes the world, except those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God. We must overcome to be saved as well. Do these conditions apply to wiccans? Look these scriptures up with your Strongs concordance. AT S0=0 E1 V1 Q0 X4 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: Eric Anderson 14 Jun 94 14:14:18 Subject: Christianity & Wicca UpdReq On Jun 12 09:56 94, Eric Anderson of 93:9005/0 wrote: EA> The Bible also states that Christ is the only, repeat only, EA> name by which men can be saved. This would seem to preclude EA> any other God or Goddess. John, in his first epistle, also EA> states that no one overcomes the world, except those who EA> believe that Jesus is the Son of God. We must overcome to EA> be saved as well. Do these conditions apply to wiccans? EA> Look these scriptures up with your Strongs concordance. EA> AT S0=0 E1 V1 Q0 X4 EA> -!- ProBoard v2.01 [Reg] EA> ! Origin: Alternatives CBIS, Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.A. EA> (93:9005/0) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Greetings: The above message was found in the METAPHYSICAL echo. The Metaphysical Echo is for *Magazine Style Posts ONLY*. If you want to respond to an article posted in METAPHYSICAL, please do so in either Magicknet (for Magickal oriented subjects) or Mundane, whichever is appropriate. Failure to do so after repeated warnings can eventually result in your being barred from these echos. If you have any problems with this, then respond in the Mundane echo. Thank you for you compliance, Farrell McGovern /Magicknet Moderator Magicknet Trio - Mundane \Metaphysical I am also reachable on Usenet/Internet at: farrellj@pinetree.org ai474@freenet.carleton.ca 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Urhla Area: Mundane To: Mindrimmer 14 Jun 94 16:23:16 Subject: Directions and Definitions UpdReq Hi Mindrimmer. Welcome....the confusion that you feel is something to get used to. I feel it everyday and love it. It gives me more to learn and study. I can tell you what I did, when I started my search..... I let my gut lead me to books. I avoided hex books, books to me were out to lunch, etc. I wasnt lead astray. I thought of what I love. I love angels, so I checked out Enochian stuff and found it not my cup of tea. As for books...I started with Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: for the solitary practioner", Starhawk's "Spiral Dance". There is also a really neat overview book called the Magician's Companion, that I love. It gives you a knowledge overdose that packs quite a whallop! All I can say is follow your bliss and have a good time Brightest Blessings Urhla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718