From: ARAIGUMA Area: Mundane To: LIANA 2 May 94 23:28:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq -=> Quoting Liana to Araiguma <=- Li> Gee... just let me learn to handle generic bought-at-the-supermarket Li> bread before I start making my own Ar> Truth to tell, the sourdough may be a bit easier in some ways. My Ar> mother's been going for years on a sourdough my grandmother gave her. Ar> She "nourishes" it with water from cooking potatoes and vegetables. Ar> When she worked, she had it all worked out to where she'd mix up the Ar> sponge, let it rise in the oven overnight, knead the rest of the Ar> ingredients in before work, let it rise again all day, then bake it Ar> when she got home. Yummy stuff. I'll have to arrange some way of Ar> smuggling some starter back the next time I visit. Li> Ooh! I'd like some if you get it! Okay...we'll see if we can manage to get up to the Northwest this summer. It's been over a year now... Ar> And, contributed for your pleasure (from The Poor Poets' Cookbook, a Ar> rather odd little number from (if I remember correctly) the thirties or Ar> forties: Ar> "A Yeast Bread for Busy Poets Ar> (with asides from your humble typist...) Li> {laughter} The Araiguma Annotated Version. Ar> Most yeast breads result in a floury kitchen and considerable time Ar> consumed. A large bowl of rising dough is a bed adored by kittens Ar> (Araiguma says "I've never had a problem with it myself..."). Ar> Contrarily, this yeast bread only requires one bowl and a baking pan. Ar> And a cardboard carton turned over the rising dough will foil even the Ar> most charming kitten. Li> Y'know, that's just something roommate's cat Barney would do... Sounds like the oven may be a good rising place then. (I just had a weird thoughtflash to the effect of "I'm an Aquarius sun with Bread Dough rising...") Ar> 1 pound (this is about 4 cups sifted) whole wheat flour Ar> (from experience, I'd suggest half regular white flour and half whole Ar> wheat. This produces a nice, dense, chewy loaf, where the entirely Ar> whole wheat can be um, sort of massive) Li> {snort} Like eating a rather tasty brick. Ar> 1 package dry yeast Ar> 1T sugar Li> : Li> {sacrificed to Betty Crocker} Li> : Ar> Pour the dough into a *well*-greased bread pan, cover with a cloth, and Ar> set in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes. Ar> (Harold, McGee, in _On Food and Cooking_, says that 80 degrees F Ar> is the optimal temperature for rising, and that 95* will cause a more Ar> sour taste and smell, and result in a stickier, messier dough.[this Ar> book is really good for nitty-gritty "science of cooking, how it all Ar> works, where kitchen lore comes from, and what of it is actually Ar> correct" Highly recommended]) Li> I think I'll pick this one up... I got my copy at Moe's. Big teal-blue-with-pink-trim paperback. $21 list, $18.90 at Moes. (bibliotrivia such as ISBN# available upon request.) Ar> The dough should just come to the top of the pan. Bake at 425 for Ar> about 1 hour. A good test for doneness is to thump the bottom of the Ar> loaf (um, it's still in a hot pan...I thump the top a bit, thanks.), it Ar> should sound hollow. Li> Heh... I think I'll follow your advice here ;) Good plan. Ar> This is a heavy (like, say, neutron star density), moist loaf, and Ar> those with more delicate tastes might prefer using half white flour" Li> Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Makes holiday fruitcakes look wimpy. Serves as a doorstop... Ar> she of the stained cookbooks crammed full of equally messy Ar> clippings... Li> You would love the boxes of clippings and stained messy cookbooks I Li> have from my grandmother. I've browsed through them... sorting it out Li> will take at least a week or three... stuff all the way back to WWII. Sounds like my mother-in-law's, except hers only go back to the 50's. Among other things, she used to teach Home Ec. Li> Thanks for the recipe! I like it enough to try it before Gollum's Li> (I'll try that next, I promise!). Gosh! I'm flattered! Flour-smeared blessings Araiguma ... "You got a possum on your head, girlie?" -- MST3k ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Wizard Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 4 May 94 10:50:00 Subject: Greenhorse UpdReq Greetings Gwenny, I agree re: your reply. Whatever the past may appear to tell us, whether we continue to exist will depend on our adaptability. (Hindsight is only 20/20 vision while the memory is clear.) All research is but well meaning (and hopefully) intelligent deduction based on available information. It is at best a guide and no more so than common-sense allows. BTW, loves mountains, think I'd like Colorado . As one who finds that magic/mysticism is as a lense to focus (and thereby amplify) Karma, I tend to think that there is a good deal scope for change. But, what a responsibility! Any thoughts? GTP> Oops, should have put my reply here....oh, well. Get out the GTP> sunscreen. If you can wear it....I can't use it on my face. GTP> What a bummer. Carcenogens: foods, cigarettes, pollutants, UV radiation etc., now they think maybe sunscreens. Get out that long sleeved shirt and don't forget the hat! Warning: Living could be dangerous to your health. Keep Well, Kind Regards ~Wizard. GTP> ... Darwin's Law -- If you're Dumb, you Die! ... Stupid people must be very clever to have become so prolific ... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Lazarus Long 5 May 94 10:51:44 Subject: My Address UpdReq LL>Yeah, you're probably right. And then those guys sell the list to other >people, ad infinitum.... There's supposed to be a form you can fill out at the Post Office or something that will keep your name from being sold. LL>I already *have* stopped buying their products! I got sort of nauseou >after reading some of their stuff. The trouble is, they DO publish some absolutely vomitous material, but they're sort of "the only game in town" (or one of) for occult materials. If you stop buying *everything* Llewellyn puts out, you'll miss out on a lot of useful and interesting stuff. You just have to kind of hold your nose while sorting through the garbage for the goodies... SLMR 2.0 Of *course* it's a stick shift! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Urhla 5 May 94 10:51:50 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq UR>Hey thanks for the recipe. Ill give it a try. and for me the easier the bet >thanks, btw I like your name No problem! And thank you! The name has a long story behind it; if you really want to know, ask me (and I'll ask about your name!). SLMR 2.0 The 4 food groups: salt, sugar, cholesterol, caffeine. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Liana 5 May 94 10:51:50 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq LI> AL> Why margarine? It has the same calories and saturated fat as butter, > AL> and doesn't taste anywhere near as good. LI> I just like it... it seems to work better for cookies. I just use butter for almost everything. > AL> ("Cognitive dissonance" is another way of saying "I like to blow > AL> people's minds"!) LI>Heh... being of contrary nature myself, I think I can appreciate that. Letting people assume something about me, and then confounding their assumptions, is one of my favorite pastimes. LI> AL> You want something that'll trance you right out, knead yeast dough by > AL> hand! LI>I'm planning it for this weekend! It's also a good exercise for muscle tone in the upper arms ;-) SLMR 2.0 Chocolate...it isn't just for breakfast any more! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: Mundane To: Lynna Landstreet 6 May 94 13:59:04 Subject: enviro-fun UpdReq Thus said Lynna Landstreet to Albertus Magnus concerning enviro-fun: LL> Two points: LL> 1. The mass media is not controlled by "environmental LL> fundamentalists." (Would that it were!) The mass media's primary LL> focus is to sell papers (or attract viewers/listeners, etc.). LL> Telling people something they don't want to hear isn't going to LL> help the bottom line. I dunno.... bad news seems to be a major selling point for most papers and TV stations. Look at the way they've capitalized on the "Increasing Crime in Our Society" issue, when the crime rate has really held steady for the last 30 years or so. ... Oh, yes! Scan me NOW! |X||||X||X||X|| ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Judy Area: Mundane To: Farrell McGovern 6 May 94 22:14:48 Subject: RE: HAIL TWITS! UpdReq FM> The only person on this list who thinks/been called FM> S.U.S.S. is Lew Stead. As inventor of the term FM> S.U.S.S., I would say that being a twit does not make FM> you a S.U.S.S., but it helps. Aw, dang. Here we go on another of those definitional things again... Can't you be a SUSS if you wanna? Isn't self-identification enough? Or does any SUSS-wannabe have to be called such by the coiner of the term in order to be one? And if so, could you tell us how to apply? I can think of several people not on John's list who would be crushed to know they may not actually be SUSSes :) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Spider Area: Mundane To: Rose Dawn 6 May 94 20:26:56 Subject: Re: SECRET SOCIETY/GANGS POLICY UpdReq I'm sorry if I'm out of it but I havn't got the slightest idea what your talking about?? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: Delphine Darkmoon 5 May 94 19:58:22 Subject: Queries UpdReq I sent an SASE to you a while ago in regards to your networking/pen friends project and have yet to receive a reply. Also, are you involved at all in sci-fi/fantasy fandom around the Metro area? I used to attend the conventions like Unicon and Disclave religiously until I moved out to the Mid-West. I look forward to your reply. --Overheard on a computer dating network: "I hear you output." 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: WITCH'S BREW Area: Mundane To: All 5 May 94 10:21:54 Subject: If I may.. UpdReq I really hate to change the subject....please feel free to ignore me and keep going with the ant discussion.....anyways for those of you who might know the answer to this problem, please reply. I didn't know where exactly to post this so I figured mundane general conv. would at least be safe. I'm co-sysop of a BBS and we've just recently gone Multi-Node. The program the BBS is ran on is Wildcat. Anyways when a new caller goes to call-back verifier door and uses this option...it crashes the node that they are on. We wind up having to go back into the system and restarting the node. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? There are a total of 3 nodes and it doesn't matter which node it is. If its used, it crashes and tends to also wipe out the user database. Please post or E-mail your reply. Thanks. Witch's Brew 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ARAIGUMA 4 May 94 00:34:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Araiguma to Liana ... Ar> when she got home. Yummy stuff. I'll have to arrange some way of Ar> smuggling some starter back the next time I visit. Li> Ooh! I'd like some if you get it! Ar> Okay...we'll see if we can manage to get up to the Northwest this Ar> summer. It's been over a year now... {clapping hands} Goody! Is that where you're originally from? Ar> consumed. A large bowl of rising dough is a bed adored by kittens Ar> (Araiguma says "I've never had a problem with it myself..."). Ar> Contrarily, this yeast bread only requires one bowl and a baking pan. Ar> And a cardboard carton turned over the rising dough will foil even the Ar> most charming kitten. Li> Y'know, that's just something roommate's cat Barney would do... Ar> Sounds like the oven may be a good rising place then. Ar> (I just had a weird thoughtflash to the effect of "I'm an Aquarius sun Ar> with Bread Dough rising...") {erkle} Ar> (from experience, I'd suggest half regular white flour and half whole Ar> wheat. This produces a nice, dense, chewy loaf, where the entirely Ar> whole wheat can be um, sort of massive) Li> {snort} Ar> Like eating a rather tasty brick. {laughing} And when have you tasted brick? 'Specially in earthquake country... Ar> (Harold, McGee, in _On Food and Cooking_, says that 80 degrees F Ar> is the optimal temperature for rising, and that 95* will cause a more Ar> sour taste and smell, and result in a stickier, messier dough.[this Ar> book is really good for nitty-gritty "science of cooking, how it all Ar> works, where kitchen lore comes from, and what of it is actually Ar> correct" Highly recommended]) Li> I think I'll pick this one up... Ar> I got my copy at Moe's. Big teal-blue-with-pink-trim paperback. $21 Ar> list, $18.90 at Moes. (bibliotrivia such as ISBN# available upon Ar> request.) Hey, if I get the part-time job there this summer, maybe I'll get DISCOUNTS!!! Ooooh... Ar> This is a heavy (like, say, neutron star density), moist loaf, and Ar> those with more delicate tastes might prefer using half white flour" Li> Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Ar> Makes holiday fruitcakes look wimpy. Serves as a doorstop... Ig. Jews pass around kougle... serves a similar purpose. Li> You would love the boxes of clippings and stained messy cookbooks I Li> have from my grandmother. I've browsed through them... sorting it out Li> will take at least a week or three... stuff all the way back to WWII. Ar> Sounds like my mother-in-law's, except hers only go back to the 50's. Ar> Among other things, she used to teach Home Ec. Ahhh... must be nice during family get togethers. Li> Thanks for the recipe! I like it enough to try it before Gollum's Li> (I'll try that next, I promise!). Ar> Gosh! I'm flattered! I do my best ;) Ar> Flour-smeared blessings Would you settle for flour dusted? {g} Blessed Be. -l ... Observe things as they are and don't pay attention to other people ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Alpha Wolf 6 May 94 10:17:36 Subject: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq >Hmmm, sounds pretty cool! I guess I might have to try to communicate with >Brother Wolf (as the indians called him in some of their ledgends... >uh-------------------^^^^^^^ Native Americans, have to be pollitically >correct...) If Wolf wants you, He/She knows where to find you. And YOU will definitely know if She/He wants you! But putting yourself into as "wolf- receptive" a state as possible is probably a good idea, anyway. AW>al>JE>Well, thanks, I guess I'll try it, why not? AW>al>I suggested a number of things...which one(s) did you intend >al>to try? >Well, most of them-- I'm not rich enough to get the canine like teeth, but >meat tastes really good! I was eating our dinner ham before it was put into >the oven, and my mom was going berserk trying to fight me back! It was pret >gory, with all the blood and fat juices drooling all over... I already WAS >howling, quite regularly. And the neighbors' dogs seem to think I'm doing a >good job, too! Uh-- what else did you suggest? -- Hanging out with the wolves at the nearest decent zoo or wildlife park. -- Making and ingesting a "potion" containing something taken from a live wolf (like hair that's been shed - check with the zoo), perhaps under a full Moon. -- Making and wearing/carrying a wolf talisman (also including something from a live wolf - see above), also under a full Moon. -- Getting a tattoo of a wolf's head or pawprint. -- Filing your fingernails into clawlike shapes. -- Listening to recordings of wolves, either by themselves or accompanied by human music. -- Shamanic dancing; dance your Wolf. To appropriate drumming (live or recorded), get down on all fours and dance! (You'll need a helper, both for the music, and to serve as "ground control" if you start getting too deeply into it.) >al>aaaoohwwOOOOOOooooooo! >Don't get TOO carried away, dear! ;-) I have no calling to any animal spirit at all -- but even *I* like to howl at the Moon sometimes! AW> --Alph Wolf > The howling one. > (This was made up by my good friend Saduker! Cool?) But of course! SLMR 2.0 Logic for computers; intuition for everyday life. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718