From: Gwenny The Pooh Area: Mundane To: Kat 3 May 94 07:21:00 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq While bumping down stairs, Gwenny the Pooh heard Kat say: Ka> I just see it now. Acres and acres of greenhouses covering Ka> fields of wheat, corn, soybean and beets. The old midwestern Ka> breadbasket you know. (Grin.) Actually it probably won't affect us Ka> much down here either, heat wise. This past winter was so mild that we Ka> almost didn't know we had it. Only a very few cold days. What a thought. Actually, I would be happy with the one Wild Hunter is building me to replace the rickety deck we have now. If this greenhouse effect thing does happen, you would be in trouble in another way. Most of Florida is barely about sealevel (Wild Hunter went to college in Miami and he says the I95 overpass there is the highest point in the state) (he also says that the only reason Florida is tolerable is for the scuba diving) I remember that Edgar Casce (my mom was really into him for awhile) predicted that California and New York City would fall into the ocean and that would cause the sea level to rise and inundate Florida. Cheerful, no? Gwenny ... Dragon riders do it in flight. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Highland Mystic Area: Mundane To: Lazarus Long 4 May 94 19:20:00 Subject: Re: My Address UpdReq Sure... Go talk to the PastMaster at your local postoffice and let them know that you don't want ANY third-Class mail delivered to you... This will cut out all the CRAP that one gets in the mail... I did it and Don't have to worry about ANY of the "junk mail"... There is one draw-back though...If you want a catalog sent it will not come unless you send the company the envolope or mone to put it into a higher class postage... HM 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ARAIGUMA 2 May 94 00:36:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Araiguma to Liana ... Ka> but that's not so hard. Still the yeast makes an excellent sour Ka> dough. Li> Gee... just let me learn to handle generic bought-at-the-supermarket Li> bread before I start making my own Ar> Truth to tell, the sourdough may be a bit easier in some ways. My Ar> mother's been going for years on a sourdough my grandmother gave her. Ar> She "nourishes" it with water from cooking potatoes and vegetables. Ar> When she worked, she had it all worked out to where she'd mix up the Ar> sponge, let it rise in the oven overnight, knead the rest of the Ar> ingredients in before work, let it rise again all day, then bake it Ar> when she got home. Yummy stuff. I'll have to arrange some way of Ar> smuggling some starter back the next time I visit. Ooh! I'd like some if you get it! Ar> And, contributed for your pleasure (from The Poor Poets' Cookbook, a Ar> rather odd little number from (if I remember correctly) the thirties or Ar> forties: Ar> "A Yeast Bread for Busy Poets Ar> (with asides from your humble typist...) {laughter} The Araiguma Annotated Version. Ar> Most yeast breads result in a floury kitchen and considerable time Ar> consumed. A large bowl of rising dough is a bed adored by kittens Ar> (Araiguma says "I've never had a problem with it myself..."). Ar> Contrarily, this yeast bread only requires one bowl and a baking pan. Ar> And a cardboard carton turned over the rising dough will foil even the Ar> most charming kitten. Y'know, that's just something roommate's cat Barney would do... Ar> 1 pound (this is about 4 cups sifted) whole wheat flour Ar> (from experience, I'd suggest half regular white flour and half whole Ar> wheat. This produces a nice, dense, chewy loaf, where the entirely Ar> whole wheat can be um, sort of massive) {snort} Ar> 1 package dry yeast Ar> 1T sugar : {sacrificed to Betty Crocker} : Ar> Pour the dough into a *well*-greased bread pan, cover with a cloth, and Ar> set in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes. Ar> (Harold, McGee, in _On Food and Cooking_, says that 80 degrees F Ar> is the optimal temperature for rising, and that 95* will cause a more Ar> sour taste and smell, and result in a stickier, messier dough.[this Ar> book is really good for nitty-gritty "science of cooking, how it all Ar> works, where kitchen lore comes from, and what of it is actually Ar> correct" Highly recommended]) I think I'll pick this one up... Ar> The dough should just come to the top of the pan. Bake at 425 for Ar> about 1 hour. A good test for doneness is to thump the bottom of the Ar> loaf (um, it's still in a hot pan...I thump the top a bit, thanks.), it Ar> should sound hollow. Heh... I think I'll follow your advice here ;) Ar> This is a heavy (like, say, neutron star density), moist loaf, and Ar> those with more delicate tastes might prefer using half white flour" Sounds like my banana bread... DENSE. Ar> she of the stained cookbooks crammed full of equally messy Ar> clippings... You would love the boxes of clippings and stained messy cookbooks I have from my grandmother. I've browsed through them... sorting it out will take at least a week or three... stuff all the way back to WWII. Thanks for the recipe! I like it enough to try it before Gollum's (I'll try that next, I promise!). Blessed Be. -l ... The present moment is a powerful Goddess - Goethe ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: URHLA 2 May 94 00:36:00 Subject: Re: KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Urhla to Liana ... Ur> Can you give me the recipe for your quickbread. I unfortunately do go Ur> to the deli too often. I also cook a chili on sunday to last all week. Well, here's my two favorites: Granny Smith Apple Bread Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F if your pan has the black non-stick coating). Grease and flour 9x5 baking pan (I just lightly coat it with Crisco). Sift together and set aside: 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour 1/2 t. salt 1/4 t. baking soda 2 t. baking powder 1 t. cinnamon 1/2 t. ginger 1/4 t. cloves (ground) In a mixing bowl, beat: 2 eggs Stir into the eggs, in this order: 1 c. brown sugar 1/2 c. oil 1/3 c. milk 1 1/2 c. peeled, coarsley chopped Granny Smith apples (two medium usually does the trick) Add flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in: 1 c. coursely chopped walnuts Turn into prepared pan. Bake at 350 F (or 325 F) for one hour or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. You can wrap in foil to store. I use a glass cake pan lined with wax paper. Notes: I usually add 1/2 c. of raisins with the walnuts... makes it a little moister and takes about 5-6 more minutes to bake, but I love the things. Also, when you stir the stuff into the eggs, add each ingredient and stir it until it's mixed thoroughly... I've tried it different ways and that way tastes the best, especially after you add the oil. Stir until it truly blends. The spices are pricey, but they last a good long time. Also, after you've added the dry ingredients, I've discovered that it's best to fold it in... don't worry about the "just until moistened" bit. I keep going until I can't find any more dry stuff, and then some. It's my favorite part. My other favorite recipe: Banana Bread 1 1/4 c. sugar 1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened (30 seconds in the microwave is usually perfect) 2 eggs 1 1/2 c. mashed ripe bananas (4 small or 3 big) 1/2 c. buttermilk 1 t. vanilla 2 1/2 c. all-purpouse flour 1 t. baking soda 1 t. salt 1 c. chopped walnuts Heat oven to 350 (325 for non-stick pan). Grease bottom only 9x5 pan. Cream the sugar and the margarine... this means mushing the butter into the sugar with a wooden spoon until you don't spot any loose grains. If the butter is the right consistancy, it won't be too liquid. It's like mushing lard. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until smooth (a good time to get the butter off the spoon, too). Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pan. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until wooden pick comes clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan and turn out onto wire rack. I also add raisins to this one. It's a very solid bread... a good hunk will tide me over from lunch until 9:30pm when I get home from class/lab. Ur> You sound vegetarian. Ive tried to be vegetarian, but I find that my Ur> cooking make it bland. I know its me, cuz a veggie friend of mine is a Ur> terrific cook. Do you have other hobbies? let me know. urhla Heh... I'm not vegetarian, just busy and averse to spending the time and energy to cook for only me... I imagine that once I have a family to impress, I'll start putting together meals. For now I'd rather have nuts and cereal and fruit or order a turkey sandwich. Other hobbies? Ooooh, boy, lots! Music, music, music, writing, reading, dancing, hiking, books, cats, computers, Yoga, climbing, laughing, martial arts (I keep getting impromptu lessons from people I know who are learning the stuff), animals, science, candles, inking, pencils, the Gods. You? Blessed Be. -l ... Observe things as they are and don't pay attention to other people ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lazarus Long Area: Mundane To: Captain Rock 4 May 94 05:23:00 Subject: Hello? UpdReq Good Day, eh? Captain, are you still out there? I tried sending you mail, but your modem made weird noises, so I called Information in your area code and asked for your phone number, but got your modem number instead. Could you please reply if you're out there? Before Friday, if probable. Thanks a ton. I've been sort of wondering, you know, haven't been getting any netmail replies or RockNet stuff..... Many Blessings, Lazarus Long earneson@ednet1.osl.or.gov 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: LIANA 5 May 94 14:48:00 Subject: WHO ARE YOU????? UpdReq WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 12 Apr 94 04:12:16 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq AM> Funny that during this rough winter we never heard a peep about the AM> greenhouse effect, isn't it? Actually, some scientists, among them James Lovelock, co-originator (with Lynn Margulis) of the Gaia hypothesis, have theorized that the greenhouse effect could trigger another Ice Age.... Any anyway, climatic change is measured by overall averages, not by the local weather in any particular region. ___ * Freddie 1.2 * I felt a shiver in the heat wave The waiting time is over For a moment stop breathing She wakes and stirs beneath our feet... (New Model Army) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lynna Landstreet Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 5 May 94 05:05:14 Subject: enviro-fun UpdReq AM> I was talking about this all in the broadest general public sense. AM> In the mass media, how much did we hear about the greenhouse effect AM> this past winter? Not a bloody lot. You know why? Because the AM> environmental fundamentalists who harp on this issue know damn well AM> that if they brought it up, your basic Joe Smith is going to say: AM> "Hey buddy, I've got 15 inches of snow in my yard and you're talking AM> global warming?" Doesn't matter if they're right or wrong about AM> it... the fact remains that the enviro-lobby picks and chooses its AM> time to fight its causes in the public arena. Two points: 1. The mass media is not controlled by "environmental fundamentalists." (Would that it were!) The mass media's primary focus is to sell papers (or attract viewers/listeners, etc.). Telling people something they don't want to hear isn't going to help the bottom line. 2. ANY reasonably intelligent political movement "picks and chooses its time to fight its causes in the public arena." It's just common sense. There are many different important environmental issues out there. Which one(s) you concentrate on at any given point in time is invariably going to be influence by which of them you feel you'll have better luck reaching people with. 'Tis the logical thing to do... ___ * Freddie 1.2 * We ought not to be blindly against progress, but against blind progress. (David Brower) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: Crat 4 May 94 15:13:20 Subject: Randoids UpdReq C> When C> the government robs C> from its producers to encourage its nonproducers or C> when it steals property C> from those who use it productively to give it to those who want it for C> recreation, or when it ranks the "goodness" and C> "rightness" of people based C> on their race, sex, or ethnicity then it abrogates C> the social contract upon C> which this country was built. e Problem is, what do you consider to be the producers in this society? Mere creation and circulation of wealth requires no great intelligence nor ingenuity, especially since much of that wealth gets shunted out of the system where it would do more good. Ideally, surpluses should be re-invested back into the business so that it can maintain a level of quality but that has not been done. All the Reagan-era deregulation did was give said producers an excuse to get fat and lazy as opposed to fit and trim and burgeoning with health, and the country suffers accordingly. Herman Kahn would probably never admit that the trickle-down that was supposed to occur was merely an intermittent drip... I read Rand's interview with Playboy in 1965, where she immediately excoriated William F. Buckley and his conservative movement for requiring that the politiclly correct capitalist must be a believer in God. Yet, her philosophy is much the same; wealth = virtue, only that Ego takes the place of the Deity. She never got around to fully attacking that position though and spent the next 17 years of her life engaged in petty sexual politics within her clique and trying to clarify her dogma. When fans and devotees of her philosophy wonder why they can't seem to get a foot into the door in the conservative movement, one need only look at the erratic history of its founder Ayn Rand. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718