From: Urhla Area: Mundane To: Liana 29 Apr 94 18:33:52 Subject: KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq Can you give me the recipe for your quickbread. I unfortunately do go to the deli too often. I also cook a chili on sunday to last all week. You sound vegetarian. Ive tried to be vegetarian, but I find that my cooking make it bland. I know its me, cuz a veggie friend of mine is a terrific cook. Do you have other hobbies? let me know. urhla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Urhla Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 29 Apr 94 18:39:20 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq Hey thanks for the recipe. Ill give it a try. and for me the easier the better. thanks, btw I like your name Urhla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Crat Area: Mundane To: Thomas Izaguirre 28 Apr 94 20:24:54 Subject: Randoids UpdReq -=> Quoting Thomas Izaguirre to Crat <=- C> Dear me, and I thought we liked her because she suggested that when a C> government tries to do everything, it winds up doing C> it only for the few C> well-connected in the name of "the average person". TI> TI> Actually, many believe she is talking about the well-connected, since TI> it is not right for the mediocre to benefit at the expense of the TI> exceptional. You may have Rand confused with Barbara Marx Hubbard. I'm not sure that any of Rand's major characters or the people she addresses in her non-fiction could be considered "well-connected". It is the well-connected mediocre person (who often knows it, but cynically uses that position) that she rails against the most. My comment about it being in the "name of the average person" was not to imply that she agreed with that approach, just the opposite. Rand obviously thought the "average person" beneath her contempt and unworthy of extended consideration. I won't go that far, but I do think as a country we have extended the idea of equality beyond reason. All men are not born equal. Each has inherent abilities and learns different skills. Each person, man or woman, has a potential which they may or may not choose to attempt to pursue. What each person in the culture is promised by the Constitution is a right to pursue that potential unemcumbered by the government. When the government robs from its producers to encourage its nonproducers or when it steals property from those who use it productively to give it to those who want it for recreation, or when it ranks the "goodness" and "rightness" of people based on their race, sex, or ethnicity then it abrogates the social contract upon which this country was built. Rand may have been an obnoxious, egotistical, martinet, but she was right about a number of social phenomenon we are now suffering through. BTW, who is Barbara Marx Hubbard? ... Don't steal...the government hates competition! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Albertus Magnus Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 2 May 94 19:05:58 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq GTP> What did Socrates say....the only thing I know for certain is that I GTP> don't know everything... Something to that effect, yes. GTP> For some reason this reminded me of an article in a Playboy years and GTP> years ago about Zen sex....ah, well, we'll hafta settle for a cyber GTP> hug. <> I suppose I'll have to settle for what I can get, eh? .\ .\.\ ... Fuori i barbari! - Julius II 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ALBERTUS MAGNUS 30 Apr 94 00:46:00 Subject: Re: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Albertus Magnus to Liana ... LI> Oh, suuuuuuuure AM> Hey, I said it, hence I make it so. :> Jean-Luc! LI> Actions for the future would need to separate themselves from (a) LI> pressure from the media to "DO SOMETHING" and (b) pressure from LI> industry to "MAKE IT GO AWAY." This is something that goes beyond LI> human convenience. Arrogance has it's place (does it? oh, somewhere, LI> I suppose...), but certainly not in this arena. AM> I agree with you. I wish I could go on with lots of wonderful bits AM> and so forth on the thread, but we seem to be in general agreement, AM> so all I can really say is "Yup!" Of course it is kinda nice to be AM> able to say that every now and then an actually mean it. Well, gee, how... how... agreeable. Guess that means we could degenerate into silly irreverant gossip... ;) *BB* -l ... By Ma-at, be blessed. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: KAT 30 Apr 94 00:46:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Kat to Liana ... Ka> Take it from someone who knows the only thing that you need to Ka> worry about in yeast bread baking is that your yeast is still active. Ka> Be sure that you don't buy outdated yeast, and use it before the date Ka> expires. The best way to judge the temperature of the water is to Ka> stick your clean finger in it. It should be just a bit warmer than Ka> lukewarm. Not even enough to steam unless it's very cold in the Ka> house. Put the yeast into the water, and let it sit till it is like Ka> paste. Stir it with a scraper, and be sure that it's well mixed. You Ka> can tell how active yeast is before you use it by dropping a few Ka> grains of sugar into it. If the sugar foams you're in luck. Captured! And I tossed the three year old packet that's been sitting in the cupboard waiting for me to try yeast bread {grin} Ka> Kat p.s. Don't let the bread intimidate you. It's just bread. If Ka> you goof you can start again. The first kneeding should be rough, the Ka> second, after rising, gentle and after the second rising should be Ka> limited to only as much as you need to divide the dough and put it Ka> into pans. Thanks for the advice. I'm designating next weekend the great bread bake-off of Berkeley. My neighbors have been warned }:> Blessed Be. -l ... If you validate parking, do you invalidate parking tickets? ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: GOLLUM 30 Apr 94 00:46:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Gollum to Liana ... Go> If all else fails, go to a Home Brew supplier, and ask for a Brewers Go> thermometer, that should get you out of trouble. Okay... that makes sense. Go> I don't mind, but I feel guilty about posting it in this echo, do Go> you get Kitchen Witch? No matter method you use, keep going until Go> the dough has a smooth even texture. If it's fully developed, you Go> can take a small piece, and stretch it out very thin, without Go> tearing. Go> Let me know what cooking areas I can find you in, and I'll stick a Go> more detailed description in there. I'm in a few nets, so with a Go> bit of luck, we'll have at least one in common. I'm afraid I don't get any specific cooking echo off my local board... but isn't Mundane okay for general conversation? At least that's what this echo is called from my end... hm. Thanks again! *BB* -l ... There is no cure for birth and death, save to enjoy the interval ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ACE LIGHTNING 30 Apr 94 00:46:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Ace Lightning to Liana ... LI>Heh... I only use it to grease pans... that's what I assumed you were >referring to... when a recipe calls for shortening, I usually either use >butter or split the amount between margerine and butter. AL> Why margarine? It has the same calories and saturated fat as butter, AL> and doesn't taste anywhere near as good. I just like it... it seems to work better for cookies. LI>One of several, depending on my mood... usually amber essence, sometimes >clove, sometimes sandlewood. AL> Ah well...the only "edible" one is clove... ::smile:: > AL> damned good cook. Can you say, "cognitive dissonance", boyz'n'grrls? > AL> ;-) LI>Congi... contie... coGniTive dissonance... {whew!} AL> Oh come on...;-) AL> ("Cognitive dissonance" is another way of saying "I like to blow AL> people's minds"!) Heh... being of contrary nature myself, I think I can appreciate that. >in to the Gods and pouring it into the batter... it has a trancing >affect in a way. AL> You want something that'll trance you right out, knead yeast dough by AL> hand! I'm planning it for this weekend! *BB* -l ... Sitting is the gateway of truth to total liberation ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: KAT 30 Apr 94 10:14:00 Subject: RE: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Kat to Liana ... Ka> Try recipes that come from prior to world war I! *!* Wow. Between the two of us, we have both big wars covered... I've been toying with the idea of assembling a cookbook in honor of my grandmother... I'm not sure of copyright laws, though... most of them are clipped from magazines... but can you copyright a recipe? Doesn't seem logical. KA> I've got them Ka> cluttering up the office here, preparing to put them on disc, and Ka> having alot of trouble with ingredients. I mean who can go to the Ka> store now adays and buy a side of venison?! Anyone seen squirrel Ka> lately? How about opossom? Or even rabbit?! Anyone seen sweet Ka> breads lately? I've never even seen them, much less had them, though Ka> my mother said that they were delicious. {laughter} Opossom? I can't imagine that they'd be very good... seems like the meat would be tough. I would think you could get venison from the highway people (CalTrans here)... all that road kill. What *do* they do with the road kill that could be used? Sweet breads... aren't those the intestines? Or the entrails... heck of a word for it ;) Ka> Still some of the recipes Ka> are timeless. Like making your own yeast out of potato peelings. You Ka> soak them in water to cover, and the foam that rises to the top is the Ka> yeast. You have to keep it going by adding new peels all the time, Ka> but that's not so hard. Still the yeast makes an excellent sour Ka> dough. Gee... just let me learn to handle generic bought-at-the-supermarket bread before I start making my own Ka> Or like the cookie recipe. Or my great grandmother's Ka> Bridal bread recipe. Which I seem to have misplaced. I'll have to see Ka> if my sister has it. Bridal bread? That sounds very interesting. A friend of mine has just gotten engaged and is looking for any and all ways to save money... if you find this recipe, would you mind posting it up? Thanks, and blessings! -l ... All know the way; few actually walk it ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Mike Sinclair Area: Mundane To: Kayla Block 1 May 94 08:50:30 Subject: Elections? UpdReq Namaste Kayla....... Kayla Block wrote in a message to Mike Sinclair: MS> NZ is nice ? Humphh ! Come and have a life here. KB> really? i don't know that much about australia, KB> is it the interior that tends to be sort of desert-like? Yup, the coastal belt varies around 200 kms (125 mls. to you) and runs most of the coast. It was originally largely rainforest, on the east coast anyways.. Too much has been logged but there are still belts in National Parks and some controlled areas. KB> is it hot there? (i hate hot weather.... Brisbane midsummer can get to around 36. (96F) Our temps here are much more even than the southern states. I have seen 46 (116F) one year in Adelaide. I recall one guy telling me it got so hot one year in Sydney that railway lines were buckling and trains had to be stopped. We don't get anything like that up here Hummmmmmmmm.... Paradise. If you care to give me a Box number or postal address or something I will send you postcards now and again as I often visit remote spots and pick up local pics. You may also netmail an address if that is more comfortable for you. I am 93:9697/101 on PODS or 3:640/219 on Fido. Alternately , my postal is P.O. Box 591. Archerfield, Qld. 4108. Aust. KB> still working your way through responses to your ad? have KB> you met anyone interesting yet? Heh, heh. Yeah! Doing pretty good. I have spoken to 15 - 16 ladies. Met 6 of them, the last just yesterday. Won't pursue any any further except for number 5 with whom I and am going walking (in rainforest) tomorrow. This will be the third meeting with her *:-) Yay! She joined my bushwalking club on Wed night last as she had been looking for such a venue. At this moment she looks like she fits the profile of my needs, but you know what it's like. Introducing someone to Tantric thinking is not quite so easy. What is easy is that you "blow" it........ *:-) However she is a lovely gentle, cheerfull, highly motivated and energetic "almost" vegetarian who has awareness of pers. growth considerations and has intermittantly meditated. She is Qld. state sales mgr for an Aust. company so kinda switched on in plenty ways. 157 cms. and 50 kgs. Ummm..... 5' 2" and 8 stone to you. Lean, small and fit. Sound like a good start ? Hehehehehehe ! WahHoowwwellll. !! Or should it be Yyaaoouuwllll ? MS> 19 C at present. Will go to around 25 at midday. Dunno MS> what that is in F. I am sitting here in shorty pyjamas KB> me neither! I would guestimate' it at around 70'ish F.) Sorry, I was being lazy..... Ummm .... 19C = 68F 25C = 77F 36C = 96F 46C = 116F approx. Wheeeee. I am Bi. ie. measurement systems. (Funny Buddhist Eh ?) KB> it's weird because in my teenage years, at one time, i KB> wanted to become a buddhist, but didn't know how. ;> KB> maybe someday. Kayla, it is a very pleasant place to be. It has an intellectual satisfaction that is just not available in Christianity. The book I mentioned is a very reasonable intro. (Open Heart, Clear Mind) There are also some very good text files on the Dharma Net BBS systems. If you can't find any, and want to, then let me know and I will give you some file names and freq addresses. However, the essential ascetism of Vajrayana is something I must very carefully balance with my various other Tantric ideals. Not that I am in Vajrayama but theirs IS the main Buddhist view. KB> different echo), thank you for your invite to australia! KB> one of these days, i def want to try to make it out that way. Auckland is only about 2000 kms from Brisbane. One of my reasons for mentioning it is that I am sure you could get a flight with a stopover in Brisbane. Think about it. Since you are so very close by. KB> but, if you're anywhere around the north island in the next KB> few months---let me know! (still don't know how soon i can Well, as I mentioned before, I lived in Miarangi Bay on the North Shore of Auckland for many years, 30 total in NZ. I did have business interests there but not now. I don't expect to be in NZ in the forseeable. What work do you do and about how long have you been on the planet. KB> Love is the law, love under will. What a lovely place to be. MMmm? Hmmmmmmm.........! What IS your path ? Om Shanti, ( " a peacefull soul " ) Mike. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 2 May 94 00:03:52 Subject: Seidhr... UpdReq This message was from VALKYRIE to GRENDEL GRETTISSON in the Runes & Asatru conference, and was forwarded to you by ACE LIGHTNING. ------------------------- GG> The one I kicked out started comparing people to rapists after being fairly GG> rabid about not following moderator directives. Even this person's own syso GG> backed down when I showed him the messages in question. I seriously doubt GG> that an individual who doesn't even believe in the existance of gods can be GG> Seidhkonna. There was one comment about rapists and having been raped, which she said led to her to distrust all men. I have all the postings in question. It is your right to remove people from this echo regardless of anyone else's opinion, right or wrong. I'll bet you didn't show her SysOp the postings that you made which prompted her response. I don't care what you seriously doubt...or believe for that matter. In this case you aren't questioning Gwen's beliefs or statements you are questioning mine. And as a practicing and acknowledged seidhkonna I said that she was. An individual who has been through a period of not believing in the existance of gods can very definitely become a seidhkonna or a seidhmadhr. In fact, it is easier for them then for anyone else because they have let go of all their illusions and preconceptions and they know what it is to be truly alone and still survive and believe in their own ability to function amidst chaos. As Gwen pointed out, you have no idea of what she believes or who she believes in. If you had been paying close attention you would have realized it from her example and her actions. I don't blame her for not wanting to put her deepest held beliefs and feelings out to have people trample all over them. The concepts that she used from belief systems that she has been studying were thoroughly questioned and ridiculed as it was. I would support her under those conditions even if she were my worst enemy, let alone someone who I consider a friend and who I've watched grow and develop over the last year on PODS. In case you missed it in the other echo, I consider Gwenny the Pooh and Wild Hunter's Kindred Hall to be a true place of worship and their land hallowed by the harrow that they have built. And as long as I'm on a rant anyway, I might as well finish it. I am extremely angry that she would question whether we were still friends based soley on remarks by you concerning my joining the Ring of Troth and Asatru. I don't know what my joining means to you, but it sure as hell doesn't mean that my attitudes towards my friends have changed, if anything it has strengthened those bonds as well as a sense of kinship with them. VInternet: valkyrie@eskimo.com PODS: 93:9400/1734 Nuit/BeastNet: 666:666/1734 SLMR 2.1a The boat shall budge not which beareth thee... * Origin: -=Sidhe Mail=- Burien, WA, USA (206)241-7899 (93:9400/1734) SLMR 2.0 Computer Hacker Wanted: Must have own axe. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lazarus Long Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 1 May 94 08:05:00 Subject: My Address UpdReq al>And I wouldn't be surprised if they sell their al>mailing list to al>anyone else in the field of "the occult", including the al>hucksters and al>hustlers as well as the outright nutcases. Yeah, you're probably right. And then those guys sell the list to other people, ad infinitum.... al>And write to Llewellyn and tell them to keep your al>name off the al>list they sell; sound aggrieved, and threaten to stop buying al>their al>publications. I already *have* stopped buying their products! I got sort of nauseous after reading some of their stuff. Laz 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lazarus Long Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 1 May 94 08:07:00 Subject: My Address UpdReq gp>I'd be more likely to say Llewellyn, but it might be neither. Yes, I have come to that conclusion, also. I wish there was some way I could have known. I remember before I sent in the letter asking for a subscription I thought "I sure hope they don't give out my address." And, well, somebody did. Oh well. So it goes. Laz 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Star Hawk Area: Mundane To: Liana 2 May 94 13:29:42 Subject: GREENHOUSE UpdReq [> LIANA [> Addendum: dynamite and a match in the hands of a five year [> old still makes a pretty big bang. [> Star Hawk [> Only if there's a detonator attached that can be set off [> by flame, otherwise it just burns. [> LIANA [> Oh, fine. Take my metaphor and tear it apart with [> literalism... feh. Detonator, match, same difference ... well, [> at least in a Bugs Bunny cartoon {wink} Now, if it was _sweating_ dynamite... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: Lewis Stead 2 May 94 11:20:48 Subject: RE: HAIL TWITS! UpdReq On Apr 30 09:22 94, Lewis Stead of 93:9810/11 wrote: JM>> This is completely off-topic and I apologize: JM>> All hail the Twits: JM>> Grendel JM>> John Machate JM>> Angus Og JM>> Lew Stead (I think) JM>> Paul Seymoure JM>> What a joyous group we are... JM>> Hail TWITS. LS> I don't know about twits. That looks like a list of many LS> of the SUSSes tho. The only person on this list who thinks/been called S.U.S.S. is Lew Stead. As inventor of the term S.U.S.S., I would say that being a twit does not make you a S.U.S.S., but it helps. ttyl, Farrell 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Greymage Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 27 Apr 94 00:44:24 Subject: Re: The Cube of Shalube UpdReq AM> The Cube of Shalube AM> by Mr. Muess FAN-FUGGING-TASTIC!!!! reyMage P.S. Also loved the 'Pope has no power in Hell' anecdote in WiD! ... Gotta run. My neighbors just sighted Elvis making crop circles. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: Greymage 2 May 94 11:24:22 Subject: Re: The Cube of Shalube UpdReq On Apr 27 00:44 94, Greymage of 93:9640/0 wrote: AM>> The Cube of Shalube AM>> by Mr. Muess G> FAN-FUGGING-TASTIC!!!! G> G> G> reyMage G> P.S. Also loved the 'Pope has no power in Hell' anecdote in G> WiD! G> ... Gotta run. My neighbors just sighted Elvis making crop G> circles. -!- Blue Wave/TG v1.0 Q-Blue [NR] G> ! Origin: {Cerebral Babylon} E.Prov/RI 401-435-3576 v.32bis G> (93:9640/0.0) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Greetings: The above message was found in the METAPHYSICAL echo. The Metaphysical Echo is for *Magazine Style Posts ONLY*. If you want to respond to an article posted in METAPHYSICAL, please do so in either Magicknet (for Magickal oriented subjects) or Mundane, whichever is appropriate. Failure to do so after repeated warnings can eventually result in your being barred from these echos. If you have any problems with this, then respond in the Mundane echo. Thank you for you compliance, Farrell McGovern /Magicknet Moderator Magicknet Trio - Mundane \Metaphysical I am also reachable on Usenet/Internet at: farrellj@pinetree.org ai474@freenet.carleton.ca 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: The Hierophant Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 1 May 94 06:47:22 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq Re: greenhouse > Ah hell, cockroaches are kinda cute, I think. I just don't want them > in MY house. > .\ .\.\ In my Church, cockraoches are descended from the God o' Cockroaches, PACO. I have actually had occasion to meet Paco once. I shook him by the right upper limb, then immediately washed my hand. We're pretty sure that Paco is actually the Discordian St. Gulik, who is also a Roach. It could explain a few things. :) --The Hierophant-- Irreverend and High Kahuna of the Church of the Sacred Mushroom 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718