From: Gollum Area: Mundane To: LIANA 27 Apr 94 08:33:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq Hey LIANA, I replied telepathically But just in case... LI> Golly, that's a good 'un ;) Thanks, I've been using it for a while now. Keeps us on topic too Go> I couldn't resist the urge to help here. Bakers yeast is happiest Go> at around 27 degrees celcius. Don't worry too much about method, LI> Oh goody!!! *How* do you know when it's at 27 degrees? I looked and LI> they make meat thermometers and people thermometors and weather LI> thermometers but not yeast and water thermometers. When it comes to If all else fails, go to a Home Brew supplier, and ask for a Brewers thermometer, that should get you out of trouble. LI> kneading, every cookbook says something else... would you mind posting LI> a basic technique for making yeast-bread for the beginner? I have a LI> knack for baking, but I seem to have an aversion to trying this without LI> some sort of knowledge to fall back on! I don't mind, but I feel guilty about posting it in this echo, do you get Kitchen Witch? No matter method you use, keep going until the dough has a smooth even texture. If it's fully developed, you can take a small piece, and stretch it out very thin, without tearing. Let me know what cooking areas I can find you in, and I'll stick a more detailed description in there. I'm in a few nets, so with a bit of luck, we'll have at least one in common. LI> Thank you so much for you reply! No trouble at all, makes me feel useful. B*B Gollum ... Milli Vanilli Burned in Kitchen, Someone Else Screams! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gollum Area: Mundane To: LIANA 27 Apr 94 10:17:02 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq Hey LIANA, I replied telepathically But just in case... LI> ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Kat to Liana ... Ka> Try real bread sometime. (Grin.) Now there's a good way to get Ka> out all the frustrations of life. Just punch it into the dough. I LI> I'm working on it... Gollum is a baker! Aw what the heck, I'm in the mood now! The % figures in the formula can be used to work out different size doughs, just use them as a percentage of the flower weight. Flour (Bakers or Wholemeal) 2 kg Salt 40 g 2% Yeast 60 g 3% Shortening 40 g 2% Sugar 40 g 2% Water 1.34 l 67% +/- Wholemeal will need more. Try to get bakers flour as it has a higher protein (gluten) level than ordinary cake flour. The protein forms the "cells" in the bread. The yeast figure is for compressed yeast, if you use dry yeast, most manufactures suggest a third of that, I think half might work better. You can increase the shortening and sugar to make a softer bread, sugar will also make a darker crust. Also, a pinch of ascorbic acid, if you have any, will help develop the dough. Shortening can be any fat/oil type substance you like, but if you use butter/marg, make it a salt free one. Too much salt will slow or even kill the yeast. Water straight from the tap should be fine, but if you want to be technical with temperature, use 42-(Room temp), to work out a resonable water temperature. That's in celcius BTW. Mix the yeast with part of the water. Give all other ingredients a dry mix, then throw them on the table (yep, straight on the table, saves cleaning a bowl). Form the dry ingredients in to a circle, and pour the water and yeast into the middle. Now you get your hands dirty. Slowly incorporate the ingredients into the water, being careful not to wreck the circle, at least not until the mix is thick enough to avoid running everywhere Once you have formed something that can be kneaded, get stuck into it, any method you've seen before should be fine. I like a "scissors" action myself, with arms crossed, tearing the dough sideways, rolling it up and repeating the "scissors" action again. the dough should be soft, but not sticky, you can add water or flour until it feels right. Keep kneading for about 15 - 20 minutes. If you have a thermometer, the dough should finish about 27 degrees celcius. Cut the dough into whatever size pieces you like. The 2kg mix would make about 5 decent size loaves. Or make some pieces into rolls, whatever. If you can find a warm moist place to let the dough rise, use it. Otherwise, just keep the surface of the dough a little moist while this is happening. Let the dough "prove" this way until it has at least doubled in size, or reached the top of the tin, if your using a tin. Probably about 45 mins would be a safe time estimate. Almost finished now. Bake in an oven around 230 degrees celcius until a nice golden brown, or whatever colour you desire. Time would depend on the size of the pieces, somewhere around 30 mins, but possibly more for large loaves. You can add whatever you like to the basic formula. For fruit varieties, just add the fruit in the final kneading stage, and increase the sugar and add a touch of mixed spice. Of for something savoury, how about mixing a little cheese and bacon pieces into the dough, and more sprinkled on top. Well, I like it like that. There you go, nothing really hard about it, just don't try to rush anything, take your time and enjoy the finished product. B*B Gollum ... No wanna work. Wanna bang on keyboard. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lazarus Long Area: Mundane To: All 26 Apr 94 20:25:00 Subject: My Address UpdReq Greetings All! Somebody has been selling my address to lots of junky fake-o occult groups and stuff! I don't know who it is. Lots of people have it....but the two that I can think of off the top of my head are the Foundation for Shamanic Studies (and they don't seem like the type) and Llewellyn (I got their magazine for a year or two). Is there any way to stop this? I'm getting all of these stupid pamphlets "Send $65 to Dr. Bob and We'll Make you Psychic!" and whatnot. Many Blessings, Lazarus Long earneson@ednet1.osl.or.gov 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Josh Norton 28 Apr 94 01:03:16 Subject: message received UpdReq hi josh! JN> Got the message you left on our BBS. I'm just finishing up some stuff JN> and will probably have it ready to ship by monday. muchos gracias!!! (just got this message. for some reason, though i keep marking this area to be scanned, it keeps getting 'unmarked', and i end up missing messages.) :( as for the database that i have. i'm afraid that i'm going to have to end up just omitting the greek, since i haven't figured out a good way to transliterate it. if you want me to keep it in, so that you wouldn't necessarily have the specific words, but would still have which greek words add to what, let me know. (the greek part of my database is only a very small portion of the entries, anyway.) TTYL! -----kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Mike Sinclair 28 Apr 94 01:14:06 Subject: Elections? UpdReq Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. namaste mike! KB> pardon my ignorance, but what is KB> 'the red island continent'? MS> Australia, honey Australia. :-) I am in Brisbane, Queensland, a very duh, i guess that would make sense. :-\ MS> big state. This is the closest we can get to paradise on earth. You think MS> NZ is nice ? Humphh ! Come and have a life here. really? i don't know that much about australia, but most of the pictures that i've seen of it, have tended to look like the uglier rural parts of california, (ie. dry, brown grass, etc.) i would assume that the climate would vary quite a bit from one part of the country to another, though. is it the interior that tends to be sort of desert-like? MS> Queensland, is paradise. I can go kayaking in mid MS> winter in bare feet, shorts and a light cotton shirt is it hot there? (i hate hot weather....don't even ask me why i live in southern california!) MS> lady and walk in Lamington National Park (rain forest) MS> with a group for the rest of the day. MS> Tomorrow I am taking another lady kayaking, on flat still working your way through responses to your ad? have you met anyone interesting yet? MS> is Paradise honey, Paradise. Temp is sitting around 18- MS> 19 C at present. Will go to around 25 at midday. Dunno MS> what that is in F. I am sitting here in shorty pyjamas me neither! (and centigrade means virtually nothing to me. the conversions from one to the other are rather tricky too. but, from your description, i would 'guesstimate' it at around 70'ish F.) MS> only took an interest in it a few months back and it MS> was a bit like coming "home". I found, Hey! that is the MS> way I have felt and thought for 100s of years. Well, MS> much of my life anyway. There are one or two details it's weird because in my teenage years, at one time, i wanted to become a buddhist, but didn't know how. ;> i didn't know any buddhists, didn't know of any buddhist temples, etc. but, in more recent times, i've found had an almost impossible time reading anything buddhist. seems to be some sort of aversion there, which i think is really weird. given the particular path that i follow, i really *should* have at least some basic knowledge of buddhism. maybe someday. on another topic, (since i don't have anyway to quote from a different echo), thank you for your invite to australia! one of these days, i definitely want to try to make it out that way. though, i must admit that i was really surprised when i found out just how far oz and NZ are from each other! but, if you're anywhere around the north island in the next few months---let me know! (still don't know how soon i can get out of here, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed!) Love is the law, love under will. -----kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: Drew O'Leary 27 Apr 94 17:35:26 Subject: Greetings UpdReq Call it presumptuous, but I had no idea the alternatively religioned were about in Milwaukee. Who are you and how many of you all are out there? Any of you into science-fiction fandom? I await your reply! Cordially I am Quark of Borg. Never let assimilation stand in the way of profit. Rule of Acquisition #254. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Albertus Magnus Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 28 Apr 94 22:06:06 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq GTP> And those stats are only for populated areas. We have no bloody idea GTP> what has been going on in significant portions of the planet. Heck, GTP> they've found two new deer-type creatures in Vietnam in the last couple GTP> of years. And these are big critters. We know nothing. Well, we know something, we simply don't know as much as we'd like to think we do. GTP> Oops, busted......I need a REASON to snuggle ? Well, you're all the way over THERE, and I'm all the way over HERE, so as much as I'd consider offering, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment. GTP> Glad I never eat at Burger King...bleck! Ah hell, cockroaches are kinda cute, I think. I just don't want them in MY house. GTP> Hey, I heard a rumor that Carlin got born again....know anything about GTP> that? I hope this is some sort of hoax. .\ .\.\ ... A lil' bit closer... a lil' bit closer... Vampira. - Misfits 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718