From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Urhla 26 Apr 94 13:19:24 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq UR>Did you say gossiping housewives? Now that sounds like fun. geez. you guys >sure know alot about cooking, with all that talk about altitude adjustment. >usually make something and pray to the Goddess that it works. Are ritual ro >easy to make. I personally enjoy wearing them, I feel that they add to the >Mood and enhance my concentration. Im not much of a sewer but i do like to >crochet and embroider. If you have any good recipes for cheap, easy to cook >food, let me know. thanks for letting me bump in. Since *all* forms of leavening (yeast, baking powder, baking soda/food acid, beaten eggs) depend on the expansion of gas bubbles to do their work, the ambient pressure has an effect on the way the food turns out. Many mixes, and possibly some cookbooks, offer "high altitude adjustments" to take this into account. Never having lived at an altitude where it mattered, I can't really offer any advice about this. Ritual robes are as easy or hard to make as you want them to be. You can make a simple "pillowcase with sleeves" out of feed sacks, or you can buy expensive silk and velvet and tailor yourself something that can double as SCA "garb"...or anywhere in between. The coven I belong to works skyclad indoors, and in street clothes outdoors (our definition of "street clothes" is fairly liberal, though ;-)), so I don't have a lot of use for a robe. But it's handy to have at least one for festivals, joint rituals with other covens (who may not be used to working skyclad), private workings, etc. Hmmm...."cheap, easy-to-cook food"...how "easy" does it have to be? BASIC PILAF 2 tb. olive oil 1 tb. butter Seasonings: garlic, basil, turmeric, black pepper, curry powder, and whatever else falls off the spice shelf... 1 medium-small onion, chopped 1 cup brown rice, raw 2 cups hot water or broth (I use bouillon cubes or powder) 1/4 cup sherry or your favorite cooking wine (optional) 1 small can sliced mushrooms (store brand) frozen peas In a large frying pan with a lid, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the seasonings and the onion and cook and stir until the onion begins to look transparent. Add the rice and cook until each grain is well coated with the seasoned oil. Pour in the liquids; they should boil up quickly. When everything is boiling, put the lid on the frying pan and turn the heat down AS LOW AS IT WILL GO. Don't uncover it for at least 30 minutes! Check it at 30 minutes; stir, check to see that it's not burning, see if it needs more water, etc. Add the mushrooms and a handful or so of frozen peas, stir, cover, and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Serve as a combination grain/vegetable side dish. Or, add diced leftover meat along with the veggies and have a one-dish meal (or stir-fry diced raw meat in the beginning; leave it there when you add the rice!) OK? SLMR 2.0 Out of the broom closet, into the sky! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: GardenStone 25 Apr 94 15:22:42 Subject: towers UpdReq In a msg on , GardenStone of 93:9200/1 writes: G> Hello Drui. D>> The "people" do not need an opinion about the wizards as D>> long as the wizards stay in the tower. G> Hmm...that gives a smell of a well-knowm doctrine of the Roman G> Emperors. What's the USE for the Earth of wizards living in a G> tower? D>> It's a modern sickness that the "public" should have an D>> opinion on everything.... G> Lack of knowledge lead already too often to horrible situaties. G> It might f.i. frighten 'people'and that could result in G> blowing up that tower. D>> I have no opinions on auto mechanics, team sports,....... G> There are things on which I don't have knowledge. I hope, I do G> not have an opinion on those things either. You're sounding G> very convinced that you really don't have an opinion on all G> the things you mentioned. How do you manage that? It's hardly G> to believe! D>> As said, there are other wizards in the tower. They may not D>> be "people" but they are human. "People" is worthless as D>> it/themselves. Individuals are highly valuable. One must D>> separate one from the other. You cannot eat "food": you eat D>> an apple or lettice or a pork-chop (or junk poison because D>> "people" call and sell it as "food"). G> The individual component is very valuable indeed. But by saying G> that 'people is worthless I could read an underestimation of G> the power of 'people' as a masse. That 'Masse-power' can be G> manipulated and it is done, very often in a negative way. G> Do the wizards in that tower feel themselves better humans, more G> valuable humans, etc. than the humans outside? (Not offensive G> ment). What is the use of the tower? D>> .....if van Gogh wrote poetry like he painted, you'd have D>> me! G> :-)) He didn't as you'll know. G> Perhaps you are interested in the paintings of a G> fellow-wizard.... It's Cesar Manrique, who lived at Lanzarote, G> one of the Canarian Islands. I've been there recently and I G> was very impressed of his paintings, his architecture and the G> way he influenced the local people there to paint there G> houses white and the doors and windowframes green. Though he G> moved to the Summerlands two years ago, his magickal influence G> is still very deep there. G> I'm for about twenty years now 'involved' in Wicca. That way of G> life leads to great interest in Wizardry, Magick in it's many G> forms, shamanism, etc. You said you published many. I didn't G> met the name Drui yet in books and articles. Did you write G> under another name? Did it reach Europe? Resuming: What did G> you write and is it publicly published? G> Blessed Be, G> GardenStone. G> -!- GEcho 1.02+ G> ! Origin: Occult Mail- & File Centre: Boudicca's Bard G> (93:9200/1) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Greetings: The above message was found in the METAPHYSICAL echo. The Metaphysical Echo is for *Magazine Style Posts ONLY*. If you want to respond to an article posted in METAPHYSICAL, please do so in either Magicknet (for Magickal oriented subjects) or Mundane, whichever is appropriate. Failure to do so after repeated warnings can eventually result in your being barred from these echos. If you have any problems with this, then respond in the Mundane echo. Thank you for you compliance, Farrell McGovern /Magicknet Moderator Magicknet Trio - Mundane \Metaphysical I'm also reachable on Usenet/Internet at: farrellj@pinetree.org farrellj@freenet.carleton.ca 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Malakus-Consus Area: Mundane To: PAUL SEYMOUR 26 Apr 94 13:24:20 Subject: Re: Announcement UpdReq -=> Quoting Paul Seymour to All <=- PS> As many of you know, I have been collecting materials from any where PS> I can acquire them and compiling a mammoth Book of Shadows. I just PS> finished compiling Vol. 6 for a total of 2856 pages! It is avilable PS> from 93:9500/0 or 1:128/101 for File Request as BOS#6.ZIP. This is PS> the WP5.0 version. I do not have the BOS#6-A. ZIP ASCII version PS> available yet. .Greetings Paul! Is ther any possible way to get copies of the above mention Books of Shadows here in Canada. I too have compiled a large Book of Shadows (unfortuately it is original hand and not on computer). I would be interested in taking a look at the first five volumes as of course your latest endeavour. How would I go about getting copies of these volumes? Is there a possible way for you to copy these volumes to disk for us here in the North Lands. I can send you the required number of 3.5 - 720 disks with a return mailer postage prepaid. I am sure that there are members of the Pagan/Wiccan community would would be interested in viewing them. Let me know if this arrangement is acceptable with you. Thanking you in advance for you cooperation .Blessing of Dana and The Green Man, .Malakus - Consus ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 24 Apr 94 13:12:36 Subject: Re: greenhouse UpdReq My guess is that if mankind is replaced it will be by the ant. I mean anyone ever tried to get rid of fire ants? The darned things mutate year after year so that what kills them one year they eat with relish the next. Or maybe the flea. Though is mammals were all destroyed the flea would die too. Hmmm..... Bright Blessings Kat 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: LIANA 24 Apr 94 13:24:38 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq Take it from someone who knows the only thing that you need to worry about in yeast bread baking is that your yeast is still active. Be sure that you don't buy outdated yeast, and use it before the date expires. The best way to judge the temperature of the water is to stick your clean finger in it. It should be just a bit warmer than lukewarm. Not even enough to steam unless it's very cold in the house. Put the yeast into the water, and let it sit till it is like paste. Stir it with a scraper, and be sure that it's well mixed. You can tell how active yeast is before you use it by dropping a few grains of sugar into it. If the sugar foams you're in luck. Bright Blessings Kat p.s. Don't let the bread intimidate you. It's just bread. If you goof you can start again. The first kneeding should be rough, the second, after rising, gentle and after the second rising should be limited to only as much as you need to divide the dough and put it into pans. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 24 Apr 94 13:27:56 Subject: Re: Kitchen Witch UpdReq Sure and don't forget that coisants are high class too. (Grin.) Bright Blessings Kat 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Captain Rock Area: Mundane To: Kat 24 Apr 94 16:00:52 Subject: Re: greenhouse UpdReq Mystics from on high have received clear images of Kat writing to Gwenny The Pooh: Ka> My guess is that if mankind is replaced it will be by the Ka> ant. I mean anyone ever tried to get rid of fire ants? The Ka> darned things mutate year after year so that what kills them one Ka> year they eat with relish the next. Or maybe the flea. Though Ka> is mammals were all destroyed the flea would die too. Hmmm..... Ortho kills fire ants just fine... maybe you're thinking of roaches? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718