From: Thomas Izaguirre Area: Mundane To: Crat 24 Apr 94 10:01:00 Subject: Randoids UpdReq C> Dear me, and I thought we liked her because she suggested that when a C> government tries to do everything, it winds up doing C> it only for the few C> well-connected in the name of "the average person". Actually, many believe she is talking about the well-connected, since it is not right for the mediocre to benefit at the expense of the exceptional. You may have Rand confused with Barbara Marx Hubbard. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gwenny The Pooh Area: Mundane To: Wizard 25 Apr 94 07:47:00 Subject: Greenhouse UpdReq While bumping down stairs, Gwenny the Pooh heard Wizard say: Wi> being one who abides on the continent of Australia, Wi> you know the place with the highest incidence of Melanoma (skin Wi> cancer) in the world, I would just like to add: I live in Colorado...I don't know what the stats are, but I bet they are bad. Living at 9000 feet we have almost two miles less atmosphere to filter the sun. You can get sunburned SKIing! Of course, that's a 14,000 feet. But I know what ya mean....In North Carolina I couldn swim for an hour or more without feeling any results....here I get pink walking to the mail box. Wi> Holes in the ozone may well be naturally occurring phenomena, it is Wi> their ever increasing size that gives cause for concern (Artic/Europe Wi> as well as Antarctic/Australia). Research indicates that certain plant Wi> and animal species are failing (in part at lea st) because they are Wi> unable to cope with the increased UV radiation. What I am going to say is going to sound hard, but it isn't intended as hard. It's just reality. I don't know if we are adding to the ozone hole or not. I don't know if we are just finally getting a taste of what life was really like on Earth before the last Ice Age (the ice core from the Artic area shows massive fluctuations in climate). But whatever happens, it is part of evolution...just Mom adapting to changing conditions. Sure, we've killed lots of species....and lots of species have adapted and are co-habiting our cities...sometimes the worst parts...with us. You change and grow. We are what we are because life put stresses on us that caused us to change and develop larger brains. We will either survive and adapt to what is happening or we will go the way of the dinosaur. The earth is not ours, it was not make for our sole enjoyment and plundering, in spite of what the Middle Eastern scriptures say. Wi> Perhaps this is all just a part of evolution on this planet, perhaps Wi> we (down here) will just have to get used to the idea that going Wi> surfing has hazards other than sharks <>. Oops, should have put my reply here....oh, well. Get out the sunscreen. If you can wear it....I can't use it on my face. What a bummer. Bright Blessings, Gwenny ... Darwin's Law -- If you're Dumb, you Die! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Jason Early Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 26 Apr 94 07:49:00 Subject: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq al>JE>The reason I am so interested in this subject is because I feel as al>though I al> >may be becoming one myself... hard to explain, when I am sitting by a al>creek al> >around here (Wolf Creek, aptly named) at night, I can feel myself as a al>wolf al> >better than I can as a human...?! al>Have you ever listened to the song, "Of Wolf And Man", on the al>most al>recent Metallica album (sometimes called "the black album", al>by analogy al>with the Beatles' "white album"; Metallica's album is simply al>labeled al>"Metallica", and the packaging is plain black). And even if al>you don't al>like heavy metal, listen to the tune before you retch at the al>thought. "Off through the new day's mist I run" "Off through the new day's mist I have come" "I hunt" "Therefore I am" "Harvest the land" "Taking of the fallen lamb!" If you want the rest, call this BBS! I put the whole thing on poetry, as well as Danzig's Killer Wolf song from Lucifuge II! What self-respecting werewolf wouldn't listen? al>Also, how much do you already know about shamanism? I'm not al>that much of al>an expert myself, but it sounds to me as if an animal totem, al>in your al>case Wolf, is calling to you. Well, I'm finding out I know less than I thought, like reading a comic book to learn to fly a boeng! However, I have read and re-read the part about "wolf energies", and it only sounds correct. al>And I've never heard of anyone literally, physically turning al>into a wolf al>(or any other animal), so the old horror stories needn't al>worry you *too* al>much. al>(I'm running a file search in my brain....hmmm...) Let's al>see... to al>become a werewolf, you could be bitten by an existing al>werewolf, or al>possibly just a regular wolf. You might prepare and ingest a al>potion al>containing something from a live wolf (hair, etc.), al>especially on the al>night of the Full Moon. Howl at the Moon...it might not turn al>you into a al>werewolf, but it feels good anyway! File your fingernails al>into clawlike al>shapes (and if you're rich and/or crazy, get a dentist to al>make your al>teeth a little more canine-looking). Hang out with the wolves al>at the al>nearest decent zoo. Listen to records containing wolf songs al>(either al>alone, or like Paul Winter once made, with human music as al>well). Rent al>the movie "Never Cry Wolf" (and/or read the book!). If you al>can get meat al>that you KNOW is not contaminated with bacteria al>(unfortunately, not easy al>to find any more), try eating raw meat with just your hands al>and teeth. al>That's all the folklore and magick I can come up with right al>now... Well, thanks, I guess I'll try it, why not? al>Please don't take offense at the tagline! al> SLMR 2.0 Never moon a werewolf! Love it! ;-) --Alph Wolf 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Bill Moore Area: Mundane To: Farrell McGovern 26 Apr 94 18:59:00 Subject: Re: greenhouse UpdReq Wonder if this wil get to you, your node # is unpublished. net mail me at 1:128/50 (fido) or 93:9900/0 (pods) if you will with q number which I can contact you. Thanks Bill Moore 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718