From: Albertus Magnus Area: Mundane To: Farrell McGovern 21 Apr 94 01:59:08 Subject: enviro-fun UpdReq AM> The following comes to you via FidoNet-Debate. The thread is AM> between myself and this one Scott Nudds, from Canada. FM> You see, Fidonet can corrupt even a Canadian! I put an end to the thread when I jokingly told him he was ample evidence for the USA -not- to have a state-run health care plan. :) FM> (Former Fight-O-Net Sysop) Ah, but I still am and probably always will be. .\ .\.\ ... They seem to play an evil game. - King Diamond 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: John Machate Area: Mundane To: Andy Bender 22 Apr 94 07:51:18 Subject: What Is? UpdReq AB> Aha! You know, that makes perfect sense to me, and seems to be a AB> completely reasonable and worthwhile organization. When I first saw the AB> phrase "Military Pagan Network" I imagined wild mobs of unshaven men, AB> brandishing knives and rifles, screaming "IO PAN!" at the top of their AB> lungs and attacking anybody in their way. AB> Your explanation is a bit more sane. :-) AB> LVX AB> A. AB> ___ But your sounds more fuin :) John 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Albertus Magnus Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 22 Apr 94 19:37:12 Subject: greenhouse UpdReq GTP> run into problems....It's the coldest year on record. Well, the record GTP> is only 100 or so years old. We don't know anything near enough to GTP> draw any REAL conclusions. Real conclusions in either direction, really. We have statistics for 100 years. 100 years out of 5 billion or so isn't exactly what one could consider 'statisically signifigant'. GTP> Scary thought. Of course, (knock on wood) I haven't seen any up here GTP> in Woodland Park. I don't think the altitude would affect them that GTP> much, so it must be the aridity....or the fact that we only turned the GTP> heat on a handful of times this winter. The wood stove and the GTP> sun did the rest, but it got COLD late at night. Well, all the more reason to have someone to snuggle up with, right? I haven't seen a cockroach since I quit working for Burger King. :> AM> When human it's abortion; when it's a chicken, an omelet. - Carlin GTP> Stolen... One of my favorite tags, I must admit. .\ .\.\ ... Oh where, oh where can Jah love be now? - bad brains 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Cenobyte Area: Mundane To: Grendel Grettisson 20 Apr 94 23:10:32 Subject: Kurt Cobain & Resh UpdReq GG> I didn't but then I'm from Seattle and I liked him and listened to GG> him LONG before anyone outside of this area knew GG> who he was. GG> Wassail, GG> Grendel Grettisson GG> Internet:mimir@io.com Grendel, look deep inside yourself and remember the Child she still lurks just in another country I remember you, friend I hope you can remember me.... Child LyDiA 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Urhla Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 21 Apr 94 19:31:46 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq Did you say gossiping housewives? Now that sounds like fun. geez. you guys sure know alot about cooking, with all that talk about altitude adjustment. I usually make something and pray to the Goddess that it works. Are ritual robes easy to make. I personally enjoy wearing them, I feel that they add to the Mood and enhance my concentration. Im not much of a sewer but i do like to crochet and embroider. If you have any good recipes for cheap, easy to cook food, let me know. thanks for letting me bump in. urhla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Christeos Pir Area: Mundane To: Spider 22 Apr 94 21:28:30 Subject: Re: SECRET SOCIETY/GANGS POLICY UpdReq -=> Spider sent a message to Rose Dawn on 18 Apr 94 19:28:00 <=- -=> Re: Re: SECRET SOCIETY/GANGS POLICY <=- Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Sp> "The Ashland School District prohibits students to be members of . . So much for De Molay! Love is the law, love under will. - Christeos Pir ... they that sealed up the book into their blood were the chosen of ADNI 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: STAR HAWK 19 Apr 94 23:03:00 Subject: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Star Hawk to Liana ... [> LIANA [> Addendum: dynamite and a match in the hands of a five year [> old still makes a pretty big bang. SH> Only if there's a detonator attached that can be set off by SH> flame, otherwise it just burns. Oh, fine. Take my metaphor and tear it apart with literalism... feh. Detonator, match, same difference ... well, at least in a Bugs Bunny cartoon {wink} *BB* -l ... The Truth is in the middle -Anna Popova ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ALBERTUS MAGNUS 19 Apr 94 23:03:00 Subject: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Albertus Magnus to Liana ... LI> Jeez... don't even quote my lovely molecular analysis for posterity LI> (pout)... and even after I went back to Chemistry prof to refresh on LI> the details ;) AM> I was saving bandwidth. Yeah, that's as likely an excuse as any, I AM> suppose. Oh, suuuuuuuure AM> I agree, but the fact remains that there is indeed a price for AM> progress. Are we willing to toss aside all of our modern goodies AM> because of the ozone hole or because of a temperature shift? I really AM> don't think so. The problem is real, I just haven't heard a AM> reasonable solution to it. A reasonable action (not necessarily a solution) is to be aware of such potential affects for future technology. Another reasonable action is to continue to research ways to contain future damage and ways to even fix damage already done. First steps would to be to eliminate obvious factors that aren't necessary to human survival, i.e. spray cans that emit CFC's. Substition of a pump is a fairly practical solution, I should think. Actions for the future would need to separate themselves from (a) pressure from the media to "DO SOMETHING" and (b) pressure from industry to "MAKE IT GO AWAY." This is something that goes beyond human convenience. Arrogance has it's place (does it? oh, somewhere, I suppose...), but certainly not in this arena. My personal way to do my part is to earn my degree in Biology, continue with the Masters, etc., then work re-breeding endangered species. I'm not an activist by nature... I prefer concrete results to the ambiguous. But there is a need for activism... what good is there for me to successfully breed an endangered species, reintroduce into it's natural habitat, only for that habitat to be destroyed by our modern industries? Pf. Problems like these are so large, so overwhelming, that the only way that I see a person can cope is to (a) pretend it's not true or (b) do something positive about it, no matter how "small" that act appears. There are no small parts, only small actors. Blessed Be. -l ... Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ACE LIGHTNING 20 Apr 94 23:24:00 Subject: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Ace Lightning to Liana ... LI>Crisco shortening. Or schmaltz, when I'm messing with Jewish recipes or >insulting someone/thing AL> The only thing Crisco is good for is making perfectly white cake icing AL> (so that it takes the food coloring without a yellowish cast from the AL> butter). Oh, and greasing certain types of pans. Otherwise, it's AL> butter, lard, or some form of oil. Heh... I only use it to grease pans... that's what I assumed you were referring to... when a recipe calls for shortening, I usually either use butter or split the amount between margerine and butter. >which uses Granny Smith apples. A friend told me that you can make >persimmon bread, and that it's very moist. I can't find a recipe >though... you have one? AL> No, but you might try substituting persimmons in a recipe that calls AL> for plums or some similar fruit. Persimmon brown betty? For breakfast?? AL> (Obviously, you'll have to adjust the sugar content...) I'll give that a try. LI>Heh... if I do or don't do something it's because I want/don't want to, >whether it be fad or fancy. I love the so-called "non-conformist" who >conforms by not doing/buying something that is in fashion... so >predictable. }:> AL> I've got a tagline that says, "You nonconformists are all alike!" ;-) Stolen! LI>Actually, I don't use my grandma's rolling pin for cooking. It really >*is* my wand, and I oil it with essential oil, which isn't a very good >thing to mix with your dough ;) AL> Depends on *which* essential oil...there are a few that are approved AL> for use as flavorings. One of several, depending on my mood... usually amber essence, sometimes clove, sometimes sandlewood. AL> But I still love the idea of Grandmother's rolling pin as a "kitchen AL> witch" wand! {smile} LI>Cookies are a favorite of mine... I can whomp up a bunch and then bring >them to work to rid of them (I need to start a family or something... >sigh). Heh... my favorite cake *is* a mix... Bundt cake, Tunnel of >Fudge. Yum. AL> I used to make cookies and take them to school (HS and college) and/or AL> work, just to confuse people. I've always been a very "butch"-acting AL> person, more into machinery, electronics, and esoteric intellectual AL> pursuits than any "traditional" female/domestic role. But I am also a AL> damned good cook. Can you say, "cognitive dissonance", boyz'n'grrls? AL> ;-) Congi... contie... coGniTive dissonance... {whew!} LI>You bet. When I'm making a quick bread, and I'm stirring the dry into >the moist ingrediants, I like to send into the batter... or use the >wooden spoon to get an interesting pattern of stirring going... AL> Long before I studied magick, I understood that good cooking was equal AL> parts science (chemistry, physics) and alchemy (educated guesswork). AL> But, since I'm oathbound against working magick on another person AL> without their informed consent, I don't "charge" my cooking except for AL> very specific purposes (like if it's going to be the "cakes" for Well, I'm single and the only dependants I have are my cats who don't mind. I'm not usually directing specific energy anyhow... just tuning in to the Gods and pouring it into the batter... it has a trancing affect in a way. Blessed Be. -l ... Courage is the power to let go of the familiar ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Wizard Area: Mundane To: Gwenny The Pooh 16 Apr 94 23:52:00 Subject: Re: Greenhouse UpdReq And thus did say Gwenny The Pooh to Albertus Magnus, pertaining to: greenhouse, 04-08-94. GTP> BTW, Wild Hunter's father lead the Antarctic Expedition for a number GTP> of years, and he says there is evidence that a hole is the ozone is a GTP> naturally reoccuring phenomena.... Greetings Gwenny, being one who abides on the continent of Australia, you know the place with the highest incidence of Melanoma (skin cancer) in the world, I would just like to add: Holes in the ozone may well be naturally occurring phenomena, it is their ever increasing size that gives cause for concern (Artic/Europe as well as Antarctic/Australia). Research indicates that certain plant and animal species are failing (in part at lea st) because they are unable to cope with the increased UV radiation. Perhaps this is all just a part of evolution on this planet, perhaps we (down here) will just have to get used to the idea that going surfing has hazards other than sharks <>. Kind Regards, ~Wizard. ... Come to Australia! ... For Sun, Surf, Sand and Skin Cancer. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Wizard Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 18 Apr 94 01:23:00 Subject: Re: Greenhouse (error!) UpdReq Greetings Albertus Magnus. RE: Erroneous data, previous message: W> Research currently indicates that an Ice-age could occurr W> in less than 100 years, possibly as quickly as 35 years. Should read: possibly as quickly as 75 years (3 generations). Sheesh!, I hate it when that happens :) (Slightly more humble) Regards ~Wizard. ... Confidence (n): Absolute certainty in one's ability to err. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gregh Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 20 Apr 94 21:55:52 Subject: Slmr UpdReq AL> GR>Pretty Mundane stuff to old timers, I guess, but it's all new and AL> GR>bemusing to me. AL> AL> All this is so much random noise to me; I suppose that I'll have to AL> learn, though, when my teenage son sets up his BBS, and then gets bored AL> with it and leaves it to me... Only take it if you *really* want to carry the monkey. I never realised how much sheer *work* those menus I've been navigating for months represent. On the other hand, if you suspect your son may set up a BBS make sure you eavesdrop on whoever he asks for help; it'll help project that misleading glaze of self confidence when you face the task yourself. ...This copy of ProBoard has been unregistered for 36 days! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Jason Early 23 Apr 94 13:28:48 Subject: LYCANTHROPY UpdReq JE>The reason I am so interested in this subject is because I feel as though I >may be becoming one myself... hard to explain, when I am sitting by a creek >around here (Wolf Creek, aptly named) at night, I can feel myself as a wolf >better than I can as a human...?! Have you ever listened to the song, "Of Wolf And Man", on the most recent Metallica album (sometimes called "the black album", by analogy with the Beatles' "white album"; Metallica's album is simply labeled "Metallica", and the packaging is plain black). And even if you don't like heavy metal, listen to the tune before you retch at the thought. Also, how much do you already know about shamanism? I'm not that much of an expert myself, but it sounds to me as if an animal totem, in your case Wolf, is calling to you. And I've never heard of anyone literally, physically turning into a wolf (or any other animal), so the old horror stories needn't worry you *too* much. (I'm running a file search in my brain....hmmm...) Let's see... to become a werewolf, you could be bitten by an existing werewolf, or possibly just a regular wolf. You might prepare and ingest a potion containing something from a live wolf (hair, etc.), especially on the night of the Full Moon. Howl at the Moon...it might not turn you into a werewolf, but it feels good anyway! File your fingernails into clawlike shapes (and if you're rich and/or crazy, get a dentist to make your teeth a little more canine-looking). Hang out with the wolves at the nearest decent zoo. Listen to records containing wolf songs (either alone, or like Paul Winter once made, with human music as well). Rent the movie "Never Cry Wolf" (and/or read the book!). If you can get meat that you KNOW is not contaminated with bacteria (unfortunately, not easy to find any more), try eating raw meat with just your hands and teeth. That's all the folklore and magick I can come up with right now... Please don't take offense at the tagline! SLMR 2.0 Never moon a werewolf! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Mike Sinclair Area: Mundane To: Kayla Block 24 Apr 94 06:32:22 Subject: Elections? UpdReq -=> Note: Moved (from: SEX_MAGICK) by Mike Sinclair using timEd. Kayla Block wrote in a message to Mike Sinclair: KB> of course if the participants on the echo who haven't had KB> anything to say about getting it back on track are not There has scarcely been a word from the chatterboxes since this discussion started......... hmmmm interesting. KB> from what i understand, the biggest problem with this idea KB> is that it takes time (and can be a bit difficult), to get KB> something on the backbone, and this echo is already there. Yes, agreed entirely. I have gone full circle and posted accordingly yesterday. KB> LOL, , i can't believe that i KB> repeatedly make the assumption that everyone on these echoes is in U.S. Heh, heh. KB> i was in NZ for 2 months last year, and i'm planning on Yes, I noticed you had said that to Rose but there was a problem so I did not quiz you KB> going back sometime in may. it is probably the most KB> beautiful country i've ever seen. i really fell in love KB> with it there, and if i didn't have dogs, i would probably KB> be living there right now. It certainly is very pretty in places and has got some good whitewater too. I am a died in the wool kayaker so do appreciate that. KB> pardon my ignorance, but what is KB> 'the red island continent'? Australia, honey Australia. :-) I am in Brisbane, Queensland, a very big state. This is the closest we can get to paradise on earth. You think NZ is nice ? Humphh ! Come and have a life here. Regretably it is a cultural desert. NZ had a good mod. jazz scene and so do Sydney and Melbourne but Brisbane is very much behind. I am an ex jazz bassist and music is very important to me, both mod. jazz and classical. Anyways....... Queensland, is paradise. I can go kayaking in mid winter in bare feet, shorts and a light cotton shirt and if I work a bit I will get HOT. I do a lot of bushwalking, all year round in shorts and cotton top. The area is beautiful and with the weather we get out to enjoy it. I am off in about an hour to meet a nice lady and walk in Lamington National Park (rain forest) with a group for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I am taking another lady kayaking, on flat water. I paddle flat water also, marathons usually. It is Paradise honey, Paradise. Temp is sitting around 18-19 C at present. Will go to around 25 at midday. Dunno what that is in F. I am sitting here in shorty pyjamas with the windows wide open and it is very comfortable. KB> (you know, americans have a KB> reputation for being really ignorant of geography I TRY NOT TO BRING ATTENTION TO THAT. KB> Shift it to Oasis--'mundane' just KB> came to mind too.) Aw, Kayla, am I that bad ?? :-) KB> i'm really not familiar with buddhism, and didn't even know KB> that buddhism talked about kundalini, outside of tantric KB> buddhist sects. mmmmmmmmm it doesn't really. Vajrayana, is the Mahayana Tantric branch. It is very much an initiate branch. I doubt I will ever be involved as I can't see me going offshore and not being a "purist" is maybe more fun, but who knows. I am involved in Tantra from most other points of view. Partic. that of "mental health" KB> do you pick up KB> any of the buddhist echoes? The NTH Dimension is the sole Queensland Buddhist BBS. I carry both Dharma and Bodhi Nets and I am grateful for them. Buddhism is rather satisfying in many ways. I only took an interest in it a few months back and it was a bit like coming "home". I found, Hey! that is the way I have felt and thought for 100s of years. Well, much of my life anyway. There are one or two details that don't totally fit but that is no great hang up. The general direction and ethic is ME. Om Shanti, Mike. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718