From: Ace Lightning Area: Mundane To: Gregh 17 Apr 94 02:50:04 Subject: Slmr UpdReq GR>Oh yes, I can feel for this. We use `professional' software at work. >TeleReplica and Co-Session. Yuk. TeleReplica has to be the most user >unfriendly modem software I've ever met. It's awkward to use and not >very flexible, and it's not even particularly good at what it does. GR>At present I use RIPTerm. Well, at least it's pretty anyway. :) I'm *still* using Unicom. It's simple-minded, and the nag screens are a total pain in the arse, but it does what I want it to do. GR>I've just finished setting up BNU and FrontDoor in case any of the >Sysops who've offered ever get around to actually carrying through on >their offers of pointhood. I was astonished: after unpacking the >various files and setting up the directories, installing BNU in my >autoexec, compiling the nodelist, etc, I ran the program ... and the >bloody thing worked! First time, too, though I had probs with FDNC >and think that as a result my FD is suffering the delusion that *it* >is the BBS I got the info from. I still need a mail tosser and >I haven't yet written the scripts or batch files to make it all hang >together and work while I sleep. All in good time. GR>I've not yet dared use it to dial a BBS; not game to till I know I have >someone who knows what they're doing watching me arrive at the other end, >ready to rescue things if I stuff up. So I don't know how successful >my installation has been. But it all works locally. GR>Pretty Mundane stuff to old timers, I guess, but it's all new and >bemusing to me. All this is so much random noise to me; I suppose that I'll have to learn, though, when my teenage son sets up his BBS, and then gets bored with it and leaves it to me... SLMR 2.0 SYSTEM ERROR: place sacrifice on keyboard to continue. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: Mundane To: Kayla Block 16 Apr 94 11:54:02 Subject: message received UpdReq Hi Kayla! Got the message you left on our BBS. I'm just finishing up some stuff and will probably have it ready to ship by monday. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Charles Senescall Area: Mundane To: Albertus Magnus 17 Apr 94 21:43:12 Subject: enviro-fun UpdReq Hi Albert, > The following comes to you via FidoNet-Debate. The thread is > between > myself and this one Scott Nudds, from Canada. > * Area: DEBATE *************** > ************************************************ > Msg#: 26 Date: 15 > Apr 94 05:06:30 > From: Todd Rourke > To: Scott Nudds > Subj: greenhouse > ****************************** > ************************************************ > SN> Hmmm.. Dogs, can't smell their own backsides either! So this is the stimulating posts we can look foward to in Fido_Debate! [...text deleted...] BTW I agree with the thrust of your arguements...give it to em! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Gwenny The Pooh Area: Mundane To: Ace Lightning 16 Apr 94 07:43:00 Subject: Kitchen Witch UpdReq While bumping down stairs, Gwenny the Pooh heard Ace Lightning say: AL> "Betty Crocker"? No way! MY grandmother didn't use mixes! (Although my AL> mother did.) I prefer to do it the hard way, with flour, butter, AL> sugar, milk, baking powder, etc. They put out good cookbooks, too. I have a neat 'puter cookbook from them about cooking Italian--we use about six large jars of Prego every two weeks. We LOVE Italian. AL> I do a lot with yeast breads; that's one of the "ancestral" skills in AL> my family. I also do good corn muffins, baking powder biscuits (you AL> *do* use lard for the shortening, don't you?), pancakes, and popovers. AL> Another "ancestral" recipe/skill is pie crust (which is what the AL> rolling pin suggested to me); again, it really does come out better if AL> you use lard, no matter how politically incorrect pigfat might be. Yeast bread don't like me now that we have moved to 9000 feet. But I agree about the piecrust. My great-grandmother, may the Goddess rest her bigotted soul, made AWESOME pie. And it was the lard. Her recipe is STILL the family recipe. **** politically correct, my attitude is: Don't drink, don't smoke, eat right...die anyway. AL> I also do cakes; I learned to decorate from my mother, who did it AL> semi-professionally, although my "style" is completely different from AL> hers. I'm doing a semi-mundane wedding cake in May, and a handfasting AL> cake in June. Cool! My mom did cakes, too, but I stick to sewing. AL> Good cooking is equal parts science and magick anyway...and I've AL> always been good at both... I cook good "down-home" stuff, but Wild Hunter was raised upper class. Can you imagine living in Virginia for twenty years and never tasting grits or collard greens (mmmmmmm, mmmmmm)?? So I'm trying to learn to cook Cordon Bleu style. Ick....it's so expensive!! Gwenny ... The pain of your presence is equalled by the pleasure of your absence. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: Mundane To: All 17 Apr 94 02:44:46 Subject: CAN*CON '94 UpdReq \ ************************ / ********** > C A N - C O N ' 9 4 < ********** / ************************ \ May 13, 14, and 15, 1994 -- The Talisman Hotel, Ottawa, Ontario The Third Annual Conference on Canadian Content in Speculative Literature Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Alternate Histories and Worlds... *** Special Themes for 1994: The Impact of The Information Highway *** *** Virtual Reality ** Interactive Multimedia ** OmniMedia Authoring *** ***** Guest Of Honour: S. M. Stirling ***** Author of numerous novels including the Draka series and Snowbrother; co-author of such books as The City Who Fought (with Anne McCaffrey), the Spartan series (with Jerry Pournelle), the Fifth Millenium series (with Shirley Meier and Karen Wehrstein), and the General series (with Dave Drake); and editor of several anthologies. CAN-CON Memberships are $25 in Advance ($30 at the Event) Single/Double Hotel Room $90 ** Triple/Quad Hotel Room $100 CAN-CON Memberships, Hotel Reservations, and Information are Available Coast to Coast across Canada By Calling or Stopping By Your Local TICKETMASTER Outlet! Ottawa (613) 755-1111 Montreal (514) 790-1111 Toronto (416) 870-8000 Contact us directly for special rates for students, seniors, fixed incomes... The special rate is $20 and is available by writing to CAN-CON, PO Box 5752, Merivale Depot, Nepean, Ontario, K2C 3M1 or by calling (613) 723-4135 and giving us your name and address so we can reserve you a ticket at the door. (All taxes included in the above prices. Hotel reservations only available from TicketMaster by phone. TicketMaster service charges extra.) ***** New For This Year: Computer Expo featuring ***** MIDNIGHT STRANGER from Animatics (on the Macintosh). Be among the First in North America to experience the subtleties of what they call "Virtual Intimacy" with this revolutionary Social Interaction Multimedia CD-ROM. Grab Your BFGs and get ready for a Fraggin' Good Time in our ROOM OF DOOM! This is your chance to play the hottest game so far this decade -- on-line and multi-player networked virtual reality for the PC! Get a first-hand look at MOSAIC, explore The Internet through a PPP link courtesy of Resudox, and attend a workshop on how to set up an Internet node from your home or office PC to get real FTP, Telnet, Gopher, IRC... ***** A Few Other Attendies ***** Authors Donald Kingsbury, Tom Henighan, Bertrand Desbiens, Ron Holla, and many more... Aurora Award winner Paul Valcour will be discussing the Canadian SF and Fantasy scene. Cath Jackel from the magazine ON SPEC will be here from Edmonton to promote it and participate in our panels on Canadian SF! Alfredo Coppola and Jeff Green from Animatics will be on hand to discuss Midnight Stranger and their upcoming projects. Paul Wilson (BNR) and Sian Reid (Sociologist) will discuss the Information Highway. San Mehet from Resudox will be giving a workshop on how you can set up an Internet machine at home. And local celebrities Dextra and Hound will be there to DJ and discuss sub-cultures. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ALBERTUS MAGNUS 15 Apr 94 14:35:00 Subject: Re: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Albertus Magnus to Liana ... LI> I'd say it's real alright. AM> I've seen what the CFC's can do to an ozone molecule, you're right... AM> not a pretty sight at all. I don't deny the existence of the ozone AM> hole, but I do believe it's more seasonal than man-made. Sure, we've AM> contributed to the problem, but it also appears that it's been there AM> for some time and probably was there long before we actually started AM> pumping CFC's into the atmosphere. My whole initial bend on this all AM> was in relation to the greenhouse effect itself, not the ozone AM> hole... altho I admit the two are connected. Jeez... don't even quote my lovely molecular analysis for posterity (pout)... and even after I went back to Chemistry prof to refresh on the details ;) I've just read the post you've quoted from FIDOnet... interesting. While I agree that MoM can take care of herself, I'm not of the mind that assumes this gives us permission to behave like irresponsible two year olds. We may not be clear on the details, but it's relatively obvious that, given the very complexity of the system, the introduction of our man-made materials into the atmosphere *is* going to have affect. All I have to remember are the many species that we've wiped out to remind myself that we *do* make a difference. Speculation that the ozone hole existed prior to our awareness of it or even prior to the discovery of fire is hardly permission pretend it doesn't matter. At the very least, knowledge that human activites are increasing something at such a rate appears to me as an indicator that such activities are harmful and should be re-evaluated. Blessed Be. -l ... I need, therefore I imagine ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: SILVEROAK 15 Apr 94 14:35:00 Subject: Re: GREENHOUSE UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by David Arnold to Silveroak ... > To seriously believe that one species could accidentelly destroy > everything Nature has borne over the millenia is a little off the > wall. To Believe that the youngest species cold do so is laughable. DA> [...] > When the two are in conflict, bet heavilly on good old Gaia. DA> never underestimate the power of the stupid few. Addendum: dynamite and a match in the hands of a five year old still makes a pretty big bang. ... Imagination is the highest kite one can fly ... - Lauren Bacall ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: LIANA Area: Mundane To: ACE LIGHTNING 15 Apr 94 14:35:00 Subject: Re: RE. KITCHEN WITCH UpdReq ... An owl hooted in my ear of words by Ace Lightning to Liana ... LI>It's neat, especially because I have memories of her using it to bake (I >love to bake, especially quick breads). To Betty Crocker, may she continue >to thrive! AL> "Betty Crocker"? No way! MY grandmother didn't use mixes! (Although my AL> mother did.) I prefer to do it the hard way, with flour, butter, AL> sugar, milk, baking powder, etc. The Betty Crocker *cookbook*, not cake mixes {sniff} Really. How very common they are... oh, Miffy? Miffy, dear? Some more tea, if you will... {geez, I amuse myself } AL> I do a lot with yeast breads; that's one of the "ancestral" skills in AL> my family. I also do good corn muffins, baking powder biscuits (you AL> *do* use lard for the shortening, don't you?), pancakes, and popovers. Crisco shortening. Or schmaltz, when I'm messing with Jewish recipes or insulting someone/thing I haven't graduated to yeast breads yet... I get nervous at the thought. The different cookbooks give different ways of using yeast, judging the temperature, etc., and different ways of dealing with the bread. I'm a quick bread queen, though... it started because it's an inexpensive and healthy way for me to have lunch all week! Yum. Banana bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, and I have this great recipe for apple bread which uses Granny Smith apples. A friend told me that you can make persimmon bread, and that it's very moist. I can't find a recipe though... you have one? AL> Another "ancestral" recipe/skill is pie crust (which is what the AL> rolling pin suggested to me); again, it really does come out better if AL> you use lard, no matter how politically incorrect pigfat might be. Heh... if I do or don't do something it's because I want/don't want to, whether it be fad or fancy. I love the so-called "non-conformist" who conforms by not doing/buying something that is in fashion... so predictable. }:> Actually, I don't use my grandma's rolling pin for cooking. It really *is* my wand, and I oil it with essential oil, which isn't a very good thing to mix with your dough ;) AL> I also do cakes; I learned to decorate from my mother, who did it AL> semi-professionally, although my "style" is completely different from AL> hers. I'm doing a semi-mundane wedding cake in May, and a handfasting AL> cake in June. Cookies are a favorite of mine... I can whomp up a bunch and then bring them to work to rid of them (I need to start a family or something... sigh). Heh... my favorite cake *is* a mix... Bundt cake, Tunnel of Fudge. Yum. AL> Good cooking is equal parts science and magick anyway...and I've AL> always been good at both... You bet. When I'm making a quick bread, and I'm stirring the dry into the moist ingrediants, I like to send into the batter... or use the wooden spoon to get an interesting pattern of stirring going... Blessings! -l ... The Truth is in the middle -Anna Popova ... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718