From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Julian 2 Feb 94 06:24:40 Subject: Crowleyites UpdReq 93 julian, J> Our legal system is one of those topic on which I can quickly become J> pretty inflamed. yeah, it's one that can get me going pretty quickly too. J> I jump around. Sometimes I want a sharpening stone for my mind; J> sometimes I just want to read Calvin & Hobbes books. Dune, though, was i tend to like to go for the real trash, sometimes sinking as low as cheesy fiction, (you know, the kind you get at a supermarket). though i probably tend to mostly go for the 'easy to read' but intelligently written stuff, like phillip k. dick, etc. J> a series I loved from start to finish. Fascinating characters. Did you J> have any favorites? i read it back in early 1980, and i can't say that i remember it that well now. i don't recall that i had any favorites though. in fact, i think that my opinion at the time was that herbert was a bit thin on character development, and better at creating a plot. i seem to recall that i had a hard time keeping track of characters. (i think the other difficulty that i had with the book was trying to remember what all of the various jargon/words meant. i had the same problem with 'clockwork orange' , though i loved that book so much, that the jargon just made me try harder.) J> Kinda nice to have people wishing you well who have some ability to J> maybe affect the situation, eh? :) and hey, it must be working.....i've only been earth surfing for a few milleseconds a day for about the last 72 hours! ;> KB->(BTW, if you want to, you can reply to this in KB->mundane. i scan that echo, KB->also.) well guess what? i lied. somehow my scanner-thing was set so that i wasn't finding any of my mail posted here. just turned it back on again today when i realized that another post that i was expecting had not shown up.) TTYL 93, --kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Julian 2 Feb 94 06:33:56 Subject: _mystical Qabalah_ UpdReq 93 julian! J> Or perhaps the persons involved are more interested in new knowledge and J> ideas than in their personal power and ego trips. In any event, as I J> scale back my PODS involvement a bit with the onset of a new job next congratulations on your new job! i hope it is doing something that you like. J> week, I know I'll keep this echo turned on and plan to read it all--as J> opposed to PaganYack, which I now mostly skip through. In some ways, J> it's serving its purpose; but my purpose and its may not coincide. J> There *is* life after PaganChat. :) that has been mostly my feelings about magicknet. too much noise, not enough signal, or something like that. i used to read the whole thing, and now i only skim it when i think about it. i sometimes think about taking a 'board vacation' for a few weeks. probably will, one of these days. sometimes i think it's a form of addiction. ;> J> the only people who use KB->that word are fundies.) J> It was on CultInfo. I like the word too; it sounds so evil when the wasn't that the echo with the slanderous anti-crowley post that was x-posted to thelema recently? my board doesn't carry that echo. J> bible-thumpers rail against it, and it's much politer than other words J> beginning with the same letter. it's a fun word to use in non-fundie contexts. always throughs people for a loop! KB-> J> and suggested he try it sometime. (I should J> in the past, and hoped to do it again more frequently in the future. J> Sometimes open defiance can be really fun. You know what I was tempted J> to do? Ever hear of the debate between Abbie Hoffman and Gordon Liddy J> awhile back, when Hoffman bellowed out a question to G.: "I have a J> question for you, Liddy: DO YOU EAT PUSSY? ANSWER ME! DO YOU EAT J> PUSSY?" If I didn't have a personal objection to using slang terms for J> body parts in this way, I would have said exactly the same thing to this J> individual. But not only am I a co-moderator there...but moreover, I ROTFLMAO! the liddy/hoffman story sounds _vaguely_ familiar, but i actually did laugh out loud while reading your post! 93, ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kayla Block Area: Mundane To: Julian 2 Feb 94 06:46:44 Subject: Operation Rescue UpdReq 93 julian, KB->and further....how is it that most of them are 'pro- KB->life' and also in favor KB->of the death penalty? J> *Precisely* my objection to the seeming hypocrisy of the term J> 'pro-life'. 'Pro-choice' suffers from the same problem; how many J> 'pro-choice' people are for increased government restriction of things ummm...actually, i would say that 'pro-life' by *definition* should, theoretically equate to 'anti death penalty'. whereas, 'pro-choice' groups have never said that they are 'pro-choice' about all governmental issues. i don't think that i'm articulating myself too well here, and maybe it's because my argument to the contrary isn't quite up to snuff. but, in essence, i'm saying that i don't think it's a fair comparison. (though,it often does amaze me how much the extreme right and the extreme left can start to sounds like one another---i.e. censorship, etc.) J> like guns and basically any freedom that isn't PC? I'm not saying I'm J> pro- or anti-abortion, because I view it as a women's issue that I J> cannot possibly relate to intelligently. And people then tell me that J> by default I'm 'pro-choice'. Sigh and groan. To me, pro-choice and actually, i could argue it in either direction, and in fact could make a good case for putting you into the other camp, as well as the defacto 'pro-choice'. J> pro-life are euphemisms to avoid the hard fact that abortion is an issue J> in which someone, or something, is going to get hurt no matter what. I J> can't see an easy or totally kind and happy solution to the question. though there are no easy answers, i don't think that i would want to assume that 'someone or something' is, by definition, hurt. i think that the primary 'intervention' should be well-practiced birth control. (i hate seeing people use abortion as a substitute for more 'obvious' methods of birth control.) i am personally anti-abortion, and don't think that i would ever consider it to be an option for myself, except under some very particular sets of circumstances, (i.e. rape, etc.) but, until someone can prove scientifically, when the 'soul' enters a fetus or when 'life begins', i think that abortion is a personal decision that individuals probably need to figure out for themselves. but, i do think that our schools/government, etc. need to put more emphasis on responsible birth control rather than the 'just say no' crap that doesn't work. (BTW, since it takes 2 to 'tango', i do think that it is a male issue as much as a female issue. if you got a woman pregnant, do you really believe that it would be none of your business whether she chose to abort or carry to term? i can see some politically good reasons for saying that it is a woman's issue. but, the reality of it is that even though it is the woman who carries the fetus, that same fetus is the result of 2 people, male & female.) whew, rant mode off. (i guess this topic is one where people tend to froth at the mouth. i'm definitely no exception.) J> Which is *really* not PC to say. J> Sorry...that hit a really responsive chord. I'm glad J> I'm not the only one that sees the inconsistency. abortion is probably a great topic for a flamewar. };-> luckily, i don't flame easily! ;> 93, ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718