From: Lantis Area: Mundane To: Eulenspygel 24 Aug 93 20:28:00 Subject: Subject Change UpdReq Hi Eulenspygel.. > Well from sunny & snowy Germany the origin of many good > philosophers & jesters. Actually I don't feel any strong > ties to any country or any group. I'm here now 9 years > but there was no homesickness or urge to go back so far. Are you an Australian citizen? So do you prefer the sun or the snow..we've been having a lot of sunny weather lately which isn't my preference (you figure it out) > BTW do you get the new PODS Soultravel yet in ACT, I'm > sure you would like it. Yes we've had it for a while, but there hasn't been anything of interest so far. I noticed some interesting posts from Ken, I think they were from some books on Eckankar...but I didn't get a chance to read them. Next time I looked all the messages seemed to have been deleted... I read something about a technique to slow down time, how do you think it would be done? From what I have read the Third Eye can be used in such a way. bye for now.. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Charles Dean Area: Mundane To: Bunz 24 Aug 93 20:38:00 Subject: I'm here! UpdReq Yo Rabbit! I have got my modem and have ordered yours. Your modem should be in in a couple of days. I can pick it up any day after Thur 26/8. So get in contact with me and give me MONEY $1838732428.00 should cover it. If you want a slightly more realistic price ring me at home (2516043) or work (2954976) as I have to get my price list. What are you doing Friday eve/night I am going with Charlie to the virtual reality cafe then back here for drinking. Griz and girlfriend, Hugh and Robin will be turning up at sometime. So it should be a good one. Talk to ya soon charles. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Bunz Area: Mundane To: Charles Dean 25 Aug 93 00:13:06 Subject: I'm here! UpdReq CD> Yo Rabbit! Yo Chuckles! CD> I have got my modem and have ordered yours. Your modem CD> should be in CD> in a couple of days. I can pick it up any day after Thur CD> 26/8. Most excellent, dude! (O god, I really said that?) PPppffthtthhhh CD> So get in contact with me and give me MONEY $1838732428.00 CD> should cover it. Will a rain cheque do? CD> If you want a slightly more realistic price ring me at home CD> (2516043) or work (2954976) as I have to get my price list. Ooooh, er, he just posted his phone number internationally! CD> What are you doing Friday eve/night I am going with Charlie CD> to the virtual reality cafe then back here for drinking. Collecting Tax, I'm afraid. I can probably get there after 2320.... Your place. Not hard to find. Oh, and congratulations on choosing the 2nd most appropriate echo! ACT CHAT may have been marginally better. This here particular one deals with the mundane aspects of magic/occult/paganism. In a way, exactly what we were talking about. C ya, Bun ... Eat, drink.....get fat and drunk 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Bunz Area: Mundane To: Eulenspygel 25 Aug 93 10:58:04 Subject: Gods etc UpdReq Hi Eulenspygel, Just a note to let you know I'm not ignoring the Real Gods thread, just 'tied up' elsewhere, and I don't have enough time right now to answer anything I want to think about much. I'll get back to you ASAP. Promise. TTFN Bun ... Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor? Eulenspygel 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: White Rose Area: Mundane To: Lynna Landstreet 23 Aug 93 20:46:06 Subject: 10 Recommended Attitudes UpdReq LL>BTW, I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, or at least not LL>with the extent to which he takes it. But I think there's definitely LL>something there... LL> TEN RECOMMENDED ATTITUDES ABOUT TECHNOLOGY LL> By Jerry Mander Good grief. This guy would by skeptical about fire and pointy sticks. Now that we've left the trees to walk upright, we can't go back, although there are those who would like to take us part of the way there. What is the background of JM? Typically the people who are most put off by technology in its contemporary incarnations are those steeped in the humanities only (I go back and forth between both worlds; I am both technoid and artist). Lack of knowledge breeds fear. ___ X OLX 2.1 TD X ...Not tonight, dear. I have a modem. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: White Rose Area: Mundane To: Lynna Landstreet 23 Aug 93 21:04:10 Subject: 10 Recommended Attitudes UpdReq LL>BTW, I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, or at least not LL>with the extent to which he takes it. But I think there's definitely LL>something there... I get queasy when somebody tries to tell me what to think. I've spent about 40 years learning enough so that I could think for myself. For whom is he recommending this stuff? If it's for general consumption...wow, who made him God of Thought? LL> TEN RECOMMENDED ATTITUDES ABOUT TECHNOLOGY LL> By Jerry Mander LL>1. Since most of what we are told about new technology comes from its LL> proponents, be deeply skeptical of all claims. But be even more skeptical of anyone of any persuasion of whatever kind of ax to grind who wants to tell you how to think. What is this fellow's background? I'll be surprized if he's in the hard sciences. LL>2. Assume all technology "guilty until proven innocent." Probably including pointy sticks and fire. LL> Negativity is positive Sounds like 1984's Doublespeak. I just looked at this turkey's name. "Jerry Mander" indeed! If it's real, I think I would use a nickname. I love it. I'm going to keep my pointy sticks, and not even think negative thoughts about them. ___ X OLX 2.1 TD X ...Not tonight, dear. I have a modem. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: White Rose Area: Mundane To: Farrell Mcgovern 25 Aug 93 13:09:10 Subject: Nuclear Power UpdReq FM> Wind can be effective, but suffers greatly from the FM>"not made here" syndrome...There are safe, effective tech FM>for this use...and it is Canadian too. It is what is know FM>as the "eggbeater" design. It is fairly quiet, and can FM>reside on a roof. Since there is no "propeller", there is FM>no slice&dice problem. It handles gusts of winds quite FM>nicely, since it the "blades" are fairly elastic, and FM>change shape depending on how fast the wind is blowing. FM> In many ways, it all comes down to money. Gigadollar FM>Oil firms have too much invested in fossil fuels, But they can continue to make piles of $$$ selling crude petroleum as feedstock for synthetic processes. FM> One thing that really annoys me is the whole NIMBY Kindly explain the acronym to me. FM> If we don't have a functioning orbital/lunar civilization in the next 50 I fervently believe in the need for a real space program instead of the silly space shuttle efforts (anybody out there remember something called Dynasoar, back from the late '50's. Any embryonic Space Shuttle...) which merely skims the beginning of space, and the repetitive launching of satellites by various countries using old, old, old technology. It's high time to move beyond, go back to the Moon, and get on to Mars. We've already made good progress towards that Dark Age. We live in an increasingly nonliterate society, and I come across a lot of hostility towards the printed word. If you read, if you think, well, you're just trying to show off, be better than the rest, pick one...do you know where the transcripts from the Apollo missions are? In an archive, preserved until we need to go back and study them again? No, they're trashed in a LANDFILL. You might not know that the Saturn 5 boosters could have been used for a Mars mission. But we don't have anymore Saturns. FM>that "Dark Age" the Roman Catholic Church didn't have Don't be too mean to the church. At least they kept some literacy skills alive, and when science and Greek culture came back to the West via the Arabs, Europeans could apply those skills to someething other than Bibles. And don't give corporations credit for too much craftiness, either. I've personally watched from an uncomfortable short distance the fortunes of four major industrial empires go to hell, or get a running start in that direction: Eastman Kodak, Xerox, Procter & Gamble and GE/Aircraft Engines. Corporations turn out to be quite stupid. ___ X OLX 2.1 TD X The outrageous becomes more normal everyday -John Drake 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Tumbleweed Area: Mundane To: Fir 26 Aug 93 15:18:00 Subject: Seattle UpdReq > Seattle has a Lot of California transplants. Is this good or bad? *grin* .. Time was invented by an Irish guy named O'Clock. -- MR/2 1.52 #34 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: Lynna Landstreet 23 Aug 93 18:40:44 Subject: Re: NUCLEAR POWER UpdReq I don't know but some may try to keep power centralized. In our area our power company actually gives you a discount if you own a solar powered water heater. Bright Blessings Kat 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Kat Area: Mundane To: Endora 24 Aug 93 02:48:22 Subject: Re: deitie's names UpdReq Endora has been charged with the crime of consorting with Kat. The evidence: En> Hi, youself darlin' and yes, I am busy...but I do try to keep up En> with my posting...(damn thing gets addicting at times and its En> becoming a stress release for me) Boy do I know what you mean! I've had several blackouts on other nets, and I found myself climbing the walls! En> Sounds intriguing. Got a publisher yet? No. I'm going to make it available to everyone on the nets that I'm on first, and then if it goes over well then I will consider it seriously. I am really not in this to make the money, though I won't pretend that it wouldn't be nice, I'm writing it because I see a need for it. The only cost that I'm going to charge from the Net people is print cost. About 4 cents a sheet, and postage. En> *soft smile* From one die hard solitaire to another...*wink* You don't think so? Good. (Grin.) Poor Jon. He was so enthusiastic about finding a coven that he could be a part of, but when he found it he got a really bad taste in his mouth for their attitude, and what he said was their surprising lack of individual knowledge. He said they didn't seem to have any spontanaety (Sp?) and that he didn't even want to think about letting his own hard won ability atrophy as they seem to have. His words, not mine. I just think that I'm too much of an individualist for a coven. I had to learn the hard way, and I'll be damned if I'm going to give control over how I talk to the gods to some other person or persons. What do you think? En> Augh! A capricorn daughter.....Augh! I'm a cappy and know what En> a handful I am now....my energies to you on this one.... I've En> two of my own with several step-children, but none live with me En> currently....my own two were the case of religious En> discrimination, which changed to a money issue and WA state En> jurisdiction.... Uh huh! And I've been telling my mother that she was just a normal Cappy, and Mother kept giving me these looks! She loves water, and we can't seem to keep her out of the sink in the bathroom. Can you say backstroke? It's becoming commonplace to come in and find the bathroom with an inch of water on the floor. Thank the gods it's tiled! Not only this, but she seems to have an abundance of energy that I just can't keep up with. Gods I wish I could bottle it and sell it! I'd be a Kazillionaire in a week! She's super intelligent too, already knows the alphabet all the way through, with a bit of trouble with just two letters, can count to twenty, and has figured out how to use the remote control to turn the channel on the television. She also loves heights. She regularly climbs the furniture, and I had to take her out of her baby bed, a six year bed by the way, by the time she turned two. She was caught one morning walking the rail. Without holding on to even the wall! She nearly scared me to death! Now for two Sagi's, myself and my mother, this is driving us nearly bonkers! And to top all of this off we live with a Tarus. Can you imagine the sparks that fly! My Step-Dad is about to have kittens on a regular basis. (Grin.) Sorry to let all of this fly, but at last I've found someone who understands! I've had my run in with HRS down here in Florida. Though religion wasn't the issue. I had to do a fast tuck and run job to keep it from becoming one, however. The case worker drove a rolling church! Every icon one can buy to put in a car was in there. She even had the nerve to ask me what religion I was. I lied, and claimed my mother's church, or she'd have moved heaven and earth to get my daughter from me. I never want to go through that ever again! En> Interesting. I've only come across two children who have shown En> such abilities...and have yet to get the chance to discover them En> further concering these kids... She only knows when it's someone she knows. Such as her great grandmother, her step-grandfather, Jon-past student, Sean-a kid we've known since he was 9, or a lady from my mother's church that absolutely adores her. Before it even rings she will get a listening attitude, point to the phone and say "telephone, Mama." I'll ask her who it is and she'll tell me outright. It's really freaked out Sean and Jon both. My Grandmother is still out on this one, but that's as good as an admission from her. My step-dad has gotten so used to it that it doesn't even phase him anymore. As for the telekinesis? She's been able to make things appear in her bed since she was six months old. I would deliberately put something in another room, leave while she took a nap, and go back in when she woke up to find her playing with it. At first I thought that my mother was playing a joke on me, but it has since happened when Mother and I were together ever second while she napped. She couldn't have done it. I've never seen her do it, but something has to be going on! Percy, our resident spirit, claims that it's not him doing it. En> Mind tellin' me what traditon and/or path you work with? I'm a bit eclectic. I don't claim any one trad. I tried that for awhile, but just wasn't happy. You see I started out on my own, without even books to learn from. Almost seventeen years ago in Louisiana. The only thing I had was a brief discription, the rede, and the law of returns. Mostly, for my own learning, I've taken the pantheon of the Celts and Egyptians to heart. Isis/Auset and Osiris/Ausar I feel closer to than other goddess and gods. Maybe because two of my past lives were in Egypt. One as a lowly priest of Ra. I'm a firm believer that any name will do, for they are a part of all gods. I do use the threefold goddess, and the threefold god, ideas however. It still fits in with the Egyptian mythos. What of you? What trad do you follow? Bright Blessings Kat 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718