From: Albertus Magnus Area: Metaphysical To: All 29 Aug 94 04:11:38 Subject: The Week in Death: August 12-18 UpdReq QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "May 21 "Yesterday a man came in with his personality on the stretcher after getting shrapnel to the head. We have a zombie now. A woman buried alive in a mass grave dug herself out after 12 hours. She's pretty freaked out. I would be. "May 25 "Bunkered in today. Mortar hit Red Cross compound next door, killing two and wounding five. Hospital staff leaves and wounded pour in. Fifty more today. Putting them everywhere on the ground now. No more tents. Sixty out of one hundred staff have left. Twenty cases to operate on but tomorrow will be another day of shelling. Phillip, our four-pack-a-day Swiss director, reassured us today that we were =not= a political target, only in a bad geographic place. Politically correct, geographically incorrect." -- John Sundin, a Red Cross volunteer surgeon in Rwanda; from correspondence reprinted in "Harper's" (August, 1994) THE WEEK IN DEATH (August 12-August 18) Paul Anderson (61), athlete. Anderson was a completely unknown weightlifter before the first U.S.-Soviet athletic competition in 1955. The American champion was injured, and the 340-pound, 5'9'' Anderson was inserted in his place at the last minute. The Soviet audience laughed when he asked for a weight of 402.4 pounds, 30 pounds over the record, but he lifted it. During the 1956 Olympics Anderson won the gold with a new Olympic record of 413 pounds, despite having a 103 temperature. In 1957, he lifted a table laden with 6,270 pounds of weight, a feat never duplicated. He retired to a barnstorming career giving inspirational talks and performing feats of strength. Elias Canetti (89), author. The 1981 Nobelist in Literature, Canetti's focus was on authoritarianism and mobs. He must have had some true insight into the phenomenon because his first book, "Auto-da-fe," was banned in Nazi Germany. His ``Crowds and Power'' explored the allure of dictators, and probably brought him to the attention of the Nobel committee. Alice Childress (77), novelist/playwright. Her best-known work is "A Hero Ain't Nothin' but a Sandwich," about a 13-year-old heroin addict. Her frank use of language and willingness to examine controversial subject matter on occasion raised controversies of their own. In the 1970s, a Long Island school district tried to ban "A Hero," and for years she was unable to get produced her play on interracial marriage, "Wedding Band." Jerome Minskoff (78), producer. Produced "Can-Can," "Noises Off," and "Sweet Charity" at his Minskoff Theatre in Times Square, along with several films, including "Tell Them Willy Boy is Here." Ernst Pawel (74), biographer. "The Nightmare of Reason," his biography of Franz Kafka, won the Alfred Harcourt Award. Jack Sharkey (91), athlete. In 1932, Sharkey won the heavyweight title from Max Schmeling, and lost it in his next fight, one year later, against somebody named Prima Carnera. Two of the most enduring quotes from boxing referred to Sharkey: In a 1927 fight against Jack Dempsey, Dempsey hit Sharkey low. When Sharkey turned to complain to the ref, Dempsey hit him so hard that when Sharkey woke up, he thought it was the day before and the fight had yet to occur. When asked about blind-siding his opponent, Dempsey said "What was I supposed to do? Mail him a letter?" It was Dempsey's last victory. In his title fight against Schmeling, Sharkey won in a split decision, causing Schmeling's manager, Joe Jacobs, to scream "We wuz robbed!" Vazgen I (85), the Catholicos of the Armenian Apostolic Church. Billy Wilson (59), director, choreographer. His Broadway shows included "Bubbling Brown Sugar" and "Eubie." He also choreographed the kid show "Zoom." (The Week in Death is by Brian Santo, [B.SANTO@genie.geis.com].) ... The only way to entertain some folks is to listen to them. * Hubbard 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Albertus Magnus Area: Metaphysical To: The Black Dog 30 Aug 94 01:28:14 Subject: Re: Metaphysics? UpdReq *** Quoting The Black Dog to All *** TBD> I thought this area was for 'magazine type articles' ? TBD> The last 100 or so posts haven't been at all interesting to TBD> me as a practising magician wanting to keep abreast of new TBD> developments. And that's what you've seen. If they haven't been interesting to you personally, tough. I get netmail complaints if I don't post the TWID. Personally, if you haven't found this echo interesting, I heartily suggest you forego your magical endeavors and check to see if you have a pulse. .\lbertus .\.\agnus 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718