From: Albertus Magnus Area: Metaphysical To: All 13 Mar 94 07:07:48 Subject: The Week in Death: Feb 25 - Mar 03 UpdReq QUOTE OF THE DAY ``Everybody is a-wondering what and where they all come from Everybody is worried where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done No one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me Think I'll just let the mystery be. ``Some say they're going to a place called Glory and I ain't sayin' it's not a fact, But I've heard that that I'm on the road to Purgatory and I don't like the sound of that I believe in love, and live my life accordingly; I just choose to let the mystery be. '' --Iris DeMent THE WEEK IN DEATH (February 25-March 3) Sir HAROLD ACTON (89), scholar/historian. At Oxford, Acton was described as an aesthete, and he took such a liking to the notion that he made being one a profession. He was one of those people who knew everybody of consequence of his generation so that he could introduce them to each other. Lt. Gen. LAURENCE CRAIGIE (92), aviator. America's first military jet fighter pilot. He was actually the second person to fly the Bell XP-59, after an unidentified civilian had taken it for a spin. AVERY FISHER (NA), philanthropist. This is a bad year for anyone who has a building named for them at Lincoln Center. First ALICE TULLY, now Fisher. Fisher built his fortune on very high-fidelity sound systems. LAURENCE HUGO (79), actor. Mike Karr on ``The Edge of Night'' (1961-72). ANITA MORRIS (50), actress. There are plenty of ways to do ``sexy'' -- vulnerable, ditz, aggressive, bombshell, waif, naif, etc., etc. -- and they don't always play with everybody, but TWIDMAN has yet to meet a human male immune to Morris' allure, especially when she was wearing that lace bodysuit from Nine. Ooh. We get goosebumps just thinking about it. Half of America (okay, okay, mostly the half sporting a Y chromosome) was let down when CBS censors wouldn't let her do the number ``A Call From The Vatican'' on the Tony award show. Let's give her credit due, tho. She was acting, and she was going to appear on the Tony's because she was nominated as best featured actress in a musical. Not that anyone was going to offer her the parts that STREEP turned down, but the converse is true too. Films include ``Ruthless People,'' ``The Hotel New Hampshire,'' and ``Absolute Beginners.'' GARY WOOD (52), athlete. A gritty little quarterback for the New York Giants, who ingratiated himself with fans by running frequent roll-outs and the occasional bootleg. He outperformed Y.A. TITTLE when Tittle went down with injury in 1964. CAROLYN WYETH (84), artist. A realist painter taught by her father, N.C. WYETH. From the Stats Department (SD): Using 1992 FBI statistics, for every time a firearm was used to kill an attacker, 48 lives ended in handgun murders, according to the Violence Policy Center. By including the estimated 12,500 gun-related suicides, the number goes up to 95:1. Almost half of all victims were related to (12%) or were acquainted with (35%) their murderers. Fourteen percent were killed by strangers. Twenty-nine percent of female victims were killed by husbands or boyfriends. Nine out of ten women were killed by men. Eighty-seven percent of men were killed by men. Ninety-four percent of the blacks slain were killed by blacks. Eighty-three percent of whites killed were killed by whites. According to the FBI, the majority of firearms deaths stem from arguments that turn deadly because of ready access to a gun. The National Health Interview Survey estimates that the number of nonfatal shootings to fatal shootings is 5:1. Have a nice day. (The Week in Death is by Brian Santo [B.SANTO@genie.geis.com].) ... Civilized people can talk about anything. * Clive Bell 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718