From: Albertus Magnus Area: Metaphysical To: All 7 Mar 94 22:25:10 Subject: Obituary - John Candy UpdReq As seen in the Chicago Tribune Saturday, March 5, 1994; SOURCE: Associated Press. Tribune writer Kenan Heise contributed to this report. DATELINE: LOS ANGELES POPULAR COMIC ACTOR JOHN CANDY EX-SECOND CITY STAR, 43, WAS AT PEAK OF MOVIE CAREER John Candy, the lovable, overweight comic actor who rose from Chicago's Second City to television skits to starring roles in some of Hollywood's most successful comedies, died of a heart attack Friday on a movie set. He was 43. The star of "Uncle Buck," "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and many other films was found dead in his residence during filming of the Western comedy "Wagons East" near Durango, Mexico, said Gary Goodman, the film's producer. Hector Partida, spokesman for the Durango state government, said Mr. Candy had a heart attack in his sleep and was dead when paramedics arrived. The production of "Wagons East" was suspended. Mr. Candy played the drunken wagonmaster of an 1860s prairie schooner heading the wrong way. Born and reared in Toronto, Mr. Candy co-starred in last year's "Cool Runnings," a hit film about the Jamaican bobsled team. He also had a small part in the comedy blockbuster "Home Alone." He appeared in the 1991 drama "Only the Lonely," about a Chicago police officer, and the comedies "Stripes," "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Splash" and "The Great Outdoors." Mr. Candy recently completed directing a made-for-TV comedy, "Hostage for a Day," his debut behind the camera. He was cast with Steve Martin in 1987's "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" as a slob whose Neanderthal habits disguise a lonely, tender man. And in 1989's "Uncle Buck," he portrayed a ne'er-do-well left in charge of his sister's rampaging children. The sentimental story showed that, despite being a slob, Uncle Buck was in fact a loving guardian. While he often played obnoxious characters, friends and colleagues said he was reserved and self-effacing. "John Candy was a gentleman and a great comic talent," Martin said. "I count myself extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to work with him." Before his prominent parts in the hit comedies "Stripes," "The Blues Brothers," "National Lampoon's Vacation" and "Volunteers," Mr. Candy was a fixture on the cult hit TV series "Second City TV." Canada's rendering of the "Saturday Night Live" format brought Mr. Candy two Emmy Awards. The show ran from 1976 to 1983. On it, Mr. Candy impersonated Julia Child, Orson Welles, Shelley Winters and others. His characters included Johnny LaRue, Dr. Tongue and polka fanatic Yosh Schmenge. Mr. Candy began acting in high school but planned to become a journalist. He started getting bit parts in plays and radio and television shows, and in 1972 joined Second City, the Chicago-based comedy troupe whose alumni include John Belushi, Bill Murray, Laraine Newman and Mike Nichols. "Second City has lost one of its best friends and most respected leaders," said Andrew Alexander, executive producer and a co-owner of Second City. "His talents, incredibly warm heart and spirit touched everyone who knew him. The Second City was truly blessed to count John as one of its family members. The world was a funnier and more human place because of John." A Tribune review Aug. 12, 1974, by Will Leonard reported Mr. Candy's first appearance at Second City under a headline, "Refreshing humor blows in from Canada." Six comedians from Toronto's Second City group were performing in Chicago in a review titled "The Canadian Show I" or "Upper U.S.A." Besides Mr. Candy, they included Dan Ackroyd, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara, Rosemary Radcliffe and Gilda Radner. In one skit, Mr. Candy portrayed a loudmouth who showed up for a vasectomy and then chickened out. Leonard's prophetic comment on the group was, "There probably are a few names in that youthful company you will be hearing about again somewhere on a grand scale." Mr. Candy also was a sports investor and owned the Toronto Argonauts football team with Wayne Gretzky and Los Angeles Kings owner Bruce McNall. Survivors include his wife, Rosemary Margaret; a daughter, Jennifer, and a son, Christopher. Transmitted: 94-03-05 13:37:22 EST 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: GardenStone Area: Metaphysical To: Drui 2 Mar 94 17:04:06 Subject: request for aid UpdReq Hello Drui...Merry Meet. D> 1) why do the people think HE (and his friend wizards up D> in the tower) are "bigots" because they want to talk about D> such things, and the people don't consider themselves D> equally so for scorning such topics? In general people does have opinions about other people. There is nothing wrong with that. It might be pity that often the most extreme opinions come from people who know very little, almost nothing about the subject of that opinion. If a wizard lives in a tower, people outside can't get enough knowledge about those wizards to get a better based opinion. I suppose those wizards are humans. :-) And humans do have many facets. And if the wizard shows other facets to 'people', opinions might get more 'balanced'. Maybe some still say: 'He's a bit a bigot on Magick, but all in all he's a good friend. D> 2) should he climb back up the tower and he and his friends D> just go on as they were before he tried coming down? Well, if he don't care for 'people', if he don't need 'people', he might get back into the tower. But getting back means neglecting many human facets of his personality. In fact, I did not met someone who isn't a bit a bigot om some item. I myself am a solitary Wiccan and I don't want to be involved in some coven. But I love to talk with others about my religion. As Paul Seymour wrote: "Wicca is my religion, Witchcraft is my lifestyle": that does not include he should be a heremit. And that should fit you too. Blessed Be, GardenbStone. P.S. After reading, I felt not really succeeded in answering your questions. As Dutch is my dayly language, I could answer much more subtle in Dutch, but knowing you're a wizard, you should be able to read the rest in between. P.P.S. As this echo is ment for articles and similar things and should mostly be 'read-only', we'd better move this topic to other echo's as f.i. New Age, Magicknet or Pagan_chat. I won't get 'hurt' by the moderator. :-) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718