From: Kayla Block Area: Magical Plants To: David Arnold 3 Feb 94 00:26:48 Subject: Netmail UpdReq 93 david, > quake, i've found myself feeling irritable, depressed, anxious, and > generally stressed out. DA> oooh :( i take it you didn't grow up with them then. by "missing them" though i didn't grow up with them, i had become fairly used to them. (been in california for 14 years now, and have been through quite a few. including a 6.7 where i was very close to the epicenter. it was no comparison to this one.) i have never been scared by a quake before, (except maybe the first one i was in, before i knew much about them.) but, now that we're down to 1-2 small aftershocks/day, (on average), my stress level has improved a bit. :) DA> she thinks of these tiny human creatures that think DA> they rule her. i am definitely in tune and yes, DA> centered, when it comes to an earthquake. i guess that it's hard for me to believe that anyone would have remained centered in the midst of this particular quake, but i guess it *could* happen. DA> when it comes to quakes. from what i've heard, this DA> fault shifting went up and down rather than sideways, DA> so i guess it was more a buckling than shifting. but DA> being more attuned to it and taking it for what it is yes, it was a thrust fault, rather than a slip-strike fault. the s.f. valley is now a few feet higher than it used to be. DA> on a spiritual plane, might help with the next time. DA> (remember, there will always be these things in DA> California, no sense pretending not.) that's why i've 'battened down the furniture'. ;> 93, ---kayla 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: David Arnold Area: Magical Plants To: Kayla Block 3 Feb 94 01:23:00 Subject: Finally! UpdReq hi Kayla, Kayla Block spake thusly to The Heretic: > well, at least, they seem to have become more open to the idea of trying > to find the medical/psychiatric value of some of these substances. i > don't think they're into prescribing cannibas for chemo quite yet i heard a few years ago that cannibis was legally prescribed for chemotherapy symptom alleviation already. not sure, but there was a feature on "60 Minutes". can't remember whether it's smoked or comes in capsules. i seem to remember the patients on 60 Minutes smoking it. as for psychiatry, i distrust the whole profession intensely. psychology is a different matter. psychiatry is a branch of medicine, whereas psychology is not. psychology centers itself on the mind-related problems, whereas psychiatry centers on the brain. modern psychiatry seems concerned nowadays with just feeding people all kinds of drugs and ECT and sticking them in a mental hospital, rather than giving them psychotherapy and helping them to solve their problems. i disagree that all mental problems are chemically related. note that i didn't say mental "illness". also, psychiatry is not an exact science as non-brain medicine is, since causes and results are demonstratable in medicine but are really flaky in psychiatry. of course, the whole medical world in this country has major foundational problems anyway. at least we are starting to see more homeopaths and herbalists being given accreditation by alternative organizations (they still are looked on highly antagonistically by the American Medical Association). i wonder if there could be developed, a new type of doctor, devoted to alternative mind-altering drugs. is there any such thing yet? the current alt-medicine doctors (herbalists, homeopaths, etc.) won't touch entheogens. maybe a witch? david 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718