From: Joseph Max Area: MagickNet To: Rain 16 Jul 97 22:54:00 Subject: learning the basics UpdReq ... From center stage, Rain declaimed eloquently to Desperado ... RR> You might consider doing some reading about Paganism before RR> you go any further with trying to learn spellcraft. There are some RR> basic skills, procedures, safeguards and ethical rules that are RR> very, very important to keep you from hurting yourself or someone RR> else, and it's also important to dos some thinking about *why* you RR> want to learn magick, and how it will change your life and your RR> psyche. (It will, you know, in ways I doubt you can presently RR> imagine.) And now for a differing viewpoint... Magick is not _inherently_ bound up with Paganism, or any other religion. One can approach spellcraft as sheer technique with no moral baggage attached to it at all. It's a TOOL. A hammer can be used to build a house or tear one down -- morality has nothing to do with it. "There is nothing good nor evil, but that thinking makes it so", as Hamlet observed. Magical practice can be dangerous, but so is driving a car. In my experience, no one who is basically free of serious psychological problems has "hurt themselves" with magical practice, any more than a person who is basically free of physical problems has hurt themsleves learning a martial art. So don't let anyone scare you into following their moral system. Magic can have powerful effects on one's psyche, but usually only if it is specifically directed to do so. RELIGION certainly does, and Paganism is a religion. So if you approach magic from a Pagan direction, the religious angle will end up influencing your magic, and you will likely experience effects such as described above. But that's NOT built into the practice of magic TAKEN BY ITSELF. Magic and Paganism are not inseperable! In fact, in my humble opinion, religion and magic are directly antagonistic to each other. This explains why there's so much "danger" involved in approaching magical practice as a religion. The problem is NOT the magic, it's the religion! If you want to learn some effective magical technique WITHOUT having it tied to any particular system of morality, try: _Condensed Chaos_ by Phil Hine (New Falcon) _Practical Sigil Magic_ by Frater U.D. (Llewellyn) _Secrets of the Sex Magicians_ by Frater U.D. (Llewellyn) _Visual Magick_ by Jan Fries (New Falcon) _Stealing Fire From Heaven_ by Steven Mace (private) 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Joseph Max Area: MagickNet To: Magick 16 Jul 97 22:15:00 Subject: The Liber Kaos UpdReq ... From center stage, Magick declaimed eloquently to All ... MM> Hello. I was wondering if any of you owned or had read a MM> copy of _Liber_Kaos_ by Peter Carroll. A friend of mine has MM> recently recommended the work to me. He was talking about a MM> circle of 9 spheres connected to this book. Quite frankly, MM> I have long been interested in magick theory in any form, MM> even if it isn't one that I practice myself. Good example MM> would be my friendships with a few followers of the Left MM> Hand Path even though I most definitely do not follow it MM> myself. MM> MM> Thanks for the help. You're probably referring to "The Eight Colors Of Magic", part of Carroll's _Psychonomicon_, which is included in the _Liber Kaos_ publication. It's also available on the Internet, from Lysator's archives, I believe. Actually, it's a "circle" of 8 arrows, each one representing one of the seven classical planets plus "Ouranos", representing the "trans-Saturian" planets collectively. Each arrow has a corresponding color, and a particular area of magical interest, as follows: RED - Mars - Aggression ORANGE - Mercury - Thought PURPLE - Luna - Sex YELLOW - Sol - Ego GREEN - Venus - Love BLUE - Jupiter - Wealth BLACK - Saturn - Death OCTARINE - Ouranos - Magic This system describes the basic magical paradigm used by the Illuminates of Thanateros (IOT) order, also known as The Pact, which was founded by Carroll. Each type of magical endeavor falls under one of the catagories; for example, sexual workings are called "Purple Magic". Some of us who use this system regularly also designate a "9th" color (though this is not in Carroll's original conception) of Earth, usually brown, that is placed at the center of the circle. The distinction between this idea and what is usually associated with "Earth" in most magical systems is that it's not meant as a "grounding", but rather as a "centering"; a position from which any of the other eight directions can be taken. I personally like this idea -- it fits in with a heretical idea I once had: if one is practicing magick aboard a spacecraft, which way is "east"? How does one "ground" if the nearest ground is thousands or millions of miles away? Magic tradition is so very "earth-centric" that such questions make people's brains hurt... I wouldn't call the system "dark", but actually pretty neutral. "There is no good nor evil, but that thinking makes it so..." -- Hamlet _Liber Kaos_ is still in print, available from Weiser Books. - J:.M:.555 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718