From: Magick Area: MagickNet To: All 15 Sep 96 14:22:00 Subject: A small essay.... UpdReq Greetings, All! The following text is part of an essay that I'm still in the midst of editting/writing. I'm new to this forum so I thought that posting this bit might serve to introduce me. Please feel free to send me feedback on it. Peace and all of that.... NOTES ON MAGICK by C. Douglas Uptegraft ======================= Premise for a Personal Magickal Style: -------------------------------------- "Living the Dream" (i.e. magick) is what I do and how I work. I reach deeply within myself to tap my passion and let it flood through my vision like some torrent, only to await the precious moment known as manifestation. Anything is possible in this reality if only we dream true enough. My spirit seems alive only when I am lucid dreaming with my eyes open. Like the Kithain yet not Fae myself, music, emotion, passion, and spirituality move me. Religion is too structured to work real magick; Living the dream is more interesting. Basic Summary: -------------- 1.) Real magick is true Passion focused by personal Will and stores of Quintessence (sometimes called Prime Mover, Prime Material or just Prime) to cause an alteration of reality's Fabric. In other words: Magickal manifestation equals passion times vision. 2.) Magick always carries some Price. At times it is just fatigue or mild irrational thinking. In the worst cases it can be cascade failure of one's immediate reality via "bad luck", excessive/unwarranted pride, insanity, or poor health; Some people would call this karma. This cost however has more to do with the magician's expectations of what will happen to hir than divine laws. Remember: Self-fulfilling prophecies come true most of the time. 3.) Learning magick means that one can never look on ordinary reality again the same way. The level of expertise gained is often inversely proportional to the magician's sanity. Also, never expect someone even of similar outlook to understand magick at the same level as you do. 4.) One can never truly become all-knowing or all-powerful through either the understanding or usage of magick. Even if possible, such things never come quickly or easily. The illusion or delusion of possessing great wisdom or ability can be quite real. However, clarity of vision and honesty with one's self are paramountly more important attributes. Explainations: -------------- Quintessence (sometimes called Prime Material) forms the basis for all matter, energy and time in any reality. It is the core of all spiritforms and mystical energies/patterns. Magick is calling on will to move quintessence that changes the reality's fabrick. Impassioned will is the key to true magick. The truest and strongest magicks never come when beckoned but rather when the emotional need is great. Indeed, a willworker or mage works hir strongest spells when s/he becomes the magick rather than attempts to control/manipulate energies. With practice, one can expand upon these simple wisdoms to learn to do some extraordinary acts of faith. The real definition of a willworking is passion focused by will and personal quintessence to move the strings of the fabrick. True magick is a simple formula that sometimes takes years to really understand. I believe that there are likely people who are real adepts who never come into their own potential. Instead, these people read books or follow old religions in an attempt to learn how to work magick. They never receive the revelation that the real power is within them or how uncomplicated spellcraft really can be.. --- * UniQWK v3.3a* If at Faust you don't succeed, try another school. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kandilokai Ach Ishte Area: MagickNet To: Magick 15 Sep 96 21:50:00 Subject: A small essay.... UpdReq M=>Greetings, All! M=> The following text is part of an essay that I'm still in the midst of M=>editting/writing. I'm new to this forum so I thought that posting this bit M=>might serve to introduce me. Please feel free to send me feedback on it. M=> Peace and all of that.... djala, Edo-kai! I have seen anything like that before. I have always though of what you call magick as a science that most humans fail to acknowledge and more fail to understand. I have never thought to try to define it though. Interesting reading. (Little dry, but then so are almost all scientific essays! ) Hope you're here for more than just a minute now! There's a lot of interesting conversation here, as well as elsewhere in the "old" nets. See you around. Walk in Light, Kandilokai Ach Ishte --- * OLXWin 1.00b * May your skies always have dragons 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Magick Area: MagickNet To: Kandilokai Ach Ishte 17 Sep 96 00:48:00 Subject: A small essay.... UpdReq Kandilokai, KA>djala, Edo-kai! I have never seen anything like that before. I have always KA>though of what you call magick as a science that most humans fail to KA>acknowledge and more fail to understand. I have never thought to try to KA>define it though. Interesting reading. (Little dry, but then so are KA>almost all scientific essays! ) *Bows* Thank you, Ishte. I was hoping that the essay would garner some attention. It is something cobbled together from my journal entries, mixed with some insights gather from reading White Wolf Games' property _Mage:TheAscension_ (a role-playing game about magick-users from the makers of _Wraith_ and _Vampire_). I have posted this bit elsewhere and was overwhelmed with negative comments. Apparently, my second and third rules of magick were very unpleasant to some people. *Shrugz* I stand by the thoughts that there is a price to be paid for working magick and am not willing to think that it is "just karma" or some punishment alone. KA>Hope you're here for more than just a minute now! There's a lot of KA>interesting conversation here, as well as elsewhere in the "old" nets. KA>See you around. You will indeed. I hope that I am welcomed here as warmly by the others. Peace and all of that.... Doug --- * UniQWK v3.3a* If at Faust you don't succeed, try another school. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kandilokai Ach Ishte Area: MagickNet To: Magick 17 Sep 96 22:11:00 Subject: A small essay.... UpdReq M=>some insights gather from reading White Wolf Games' property M=>_Mage:TheAscension_ (a role-playing game about magick-users from the makers fM=>_Wraith_ and _Vampire_). I have posted this bit elsewhere and was overwhelme M=>with negative comments. Apparently, my second and third rules of magick were M=>very unpleasant to some people. *Shrugz* I stand by the thoughts that there sM=>a price to be paid for working magick and am not willing to think that it is M=>"just karma" or some punishment alone. Well, you know, I've never liked the term magick, because I don't really consider it that. The term invites ridicule in my opinion. But I agree that working with these energies has its price. One must be careful, and very prepared for the consequences. Ishte! --- * OLXWin 1.00b * Awright! Who double parked their dragon?! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kandilokai Ach Ishte Area: MagickNet To: Jade 12 Sep 96 06:04:00 Subject: an it harm none UpdReq J=>I am not sure I understand, but then I am hardly capable of understanding J=>everything. I have my limits. I do respect your point of view though, and as J=>long as you respect mine. No harm no foul. J=>As far as the New Age and becoming like Gods. I hope it won't happen all at J=>once. What kind of god would a mass murderer make? A deadly one I suppose. God of Murder?? I know, I know... "It's a bad joke... just shut up Ishte... Don't make anymore terrible jokes like that, Ishte!" ;) Walk in Light, Ishte --- * OLXWin 1.00b * A Dragon in the hand is worth 5 charred fingers 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718