From: Valkyrie Area: MagickNet To: Lady Sondrea 22 May 95 09:16:00 Subject: Re: Meditation/OBE's UpdReq In a message dated 05-12-95 LADY SONDREA wrote to ALL: LS> I NEED help please.....I have been working on meditation for two LS> years now...I really want to accomplish it, and move on to Astral LS> Projection... But the problem I am having, is I don't know the LS> basics on how to start.. I do the deep breathing, but It's my LS> thoughts that I can not clear away, and when I do lay there for a LS> while, I just fall asleep and wake up the next morining...Should I LS> stop working on it when I go to bed, and start working on it during LS> the day time? I just don't know what to do about it.. Please can LS> someone help me.? Blessed Be!!! Lady Sondrea There are several approaches to meditation and to astral traveling. Within the Northern traditions there is a form of meditation known as _utiseta_, or "sitting out." It is a shamanically based practice. The vigil is something similar. The practice differs significantly from Eastern and Western meditative methods in that the thoughts that come up should be explored or wandered through, as though listening to a conversation. You've probably had times when you were doing something like driving and people were talking to you, and you were paying attention enough to tell yourself to remember the important things, and to ask about them later. Tell yourself as you begin that you'll remember the important things and let the others go. The "conversation" may continue or it will fall off as you become more aware of what it is you are doing... Your focus while driving shifts naturally. You're aware of how you feel...if you're sick or not. You're aware of people in the car and to some extent what it is that they are doing, but unless it poses an immediate danger or concern of some kind you aren't "paying attention" to what they're doing. One of the skills that you develop as you drive a car is being aware of what is all around you. You use the rear view mirrors and learn not to focus on the small patch of road immediately in front of the hood of the car, and *especially* not to watch the dotted lines flashing past. You learn how to steer, operate the pedals, watch traffic and deal with distractions. It's the same thing with developing the meditative state that you need. A more accurate way of stating it would be obtaining an appropriate *alternative state of consciousness.* There are many levels and states of consciousness and we cycle through them all the time. During a day dream you may have found yourself thinking of a place and experiencing it as though you were there...then suddenly "came to your senses" and were back where you were supposed to be. That is the simplest form of astral projection. If you realize what it is it makes it a little easier. One of the things that you're probably going to have to do is to do it at other times then when you're ready for bed. Try laying on the floor with a pillow and a blanket. Some people become cold during the process and a blanket will help keep you comfortable as well as making you feel more secure. You can also just sit, which is the method that is used in "sitting out." Here again, a blanket might make it more comfortable for you, and if you're sitting one that is large enough can be wrapped around you then folded and tucked so that it provides some support for your back and under your knees if you are sitting cross-legged. As you relax you let yourself become more and more aware of your surroundings. "Looking" at things with your mind, and feeling them around you. You will be in familiar surroundings, and will be aware of what is behind you. When you find yourself looking at something that *is* behind you you've achieved "astral project". Since you're aware that this can happen you won't be startled at the realization. When you realize that you're looking at something you shouldn't be able to see, or hearing something, or touching something...(everyone has different ways of experiencing astral projection), focus on your "feelings" or the sensations so that you'll recognize them again. Cross into another room and look around. Find something specific to focus on and try and remember as much about the object as you can. Where it is, the position, the color (and colors can change or be different), any details that seem significant. Then go back to where you started and gather your thoughts...to use a useful cliche, and become aware of where you are sitting and the physical sensations. Take a moment to compare the feelings. Don't stand up right away if you feel at all dizzy. When you're ready, go look for the object that you found and compare what it is that you observed. Keeping a journal or diary will help. Good luck. :) Ves Heil, Val Internet: valkyrie@eskimo.com -> Alice4Mac 2.4.2 E QWK Eval:17Mar95 Origin: Alice strikes back @ 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Lady Sondrea Area: MagickNet To: Doug Nelson 19 May 95 14:39:32 Subject: Re: Meditation/OBE's UpdReq |-----------------|Doug Nelson wrote: DN>The trick with meditating the way you are trying to do it is that DN>the mind wants to focus on things. Some mediatation techniques use a DN>candle or other object as a focus, some use mantras, some focus on DN>breathing. The way you are trying to do it is IMHO one of the hardest DN>for most people. DN>The best way to get where you want to go is to pretend you are DN>sitting in a crowded place or a room with a radio on, and tune the DN>"noise" out. I'm sure that you do it when you are reading, or deep in DN>a conversation with someone. This is the same thing, except the noise DN>is coming from inside your head. :) When a thought comes in don't get DN>upset, just say to yourself "thats just a thought", and go on DN>meditating. DN>The best book that I know of for concentration and visualization DN>exercises is "Mind Games" by Master & Houston. The forward says that DN>their objective in writing the book is "to put the first man on DN>earth." :) DN>B*B -Doug |-------------------------------------| I never looked at tuning the noise out the same way I do when I get into a good book as a way to get where I want to go...That is very interesting... I am willing to try anything, I've got candles, and incense, that I could possibly use to try and concentrat on, there's more ways than I thought to actually go into mediation..Really like how the replys come in and inform me...The book Mind Games, I've never hear of it yet...I've got some books on meditation and stuff from people like Edger Cacey and people like that, but they don't seem to help me much....I do thank you, and I will keep everyone updated...Thanks.. Blessed Be... Lady Sondrea ... At such times, the Wise Cat retires to meditate. --- * TLX v4.00 * ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718