From: Josh Norton Area: MagickNet To: Rose Dawn 7 Nov 94 13:21:00 Subject: Chaos UpdReq > > (confused) Eh? RD> RD> Just a joke, son...I quoted something you'd said in another RD> context on a wholly different thread, but I thought it was RD> kinda germaine so I didn't ask if it was Ok first. RD> Heh. Sure it's OK -- this is public discussion, ain't it? Don't think it's possible to copyright a net-message... > Elmer's a bit too anal-retentive for Horus, though his fondness for > weapons might be Horus-like. More Osirian, maybe? He does represent > Established Authority -- notice how often he shows up in the cartoons in > uniforms? RD> RD> Maybe Yosemite Sam as Horus? Where do Coyote and Road RD> Runner fit in? I thought I remembered you discoursing most RD> learne'dly on that pair at one point. always hated the RR...y'know, 'Beep-beep RD> *this*,mutha...!'> ;> RD> I seem to remember doing so, but my muse isn't with me today, and I can't recall what all I said. I did think about Sam as Horus...might fit. I recall one toon where he was a knight going after dragons -- the lance is one of Horus' weapons, and dragons are Set-beasts, if anything is. Coyote and Roadrunner always remind me of Job, for some reason, with Coyote in the role of the long-suffering worshiper, and RR as the nasty- minded YHVH. > Well...The Church of Satan did use the Calls, but I don't know if they > ever actually contacted the Enochian beings, or used the Tablets as part > of a religious system. Does that count as "worship"? Given that they > replaced the names of god with the word "Satan" in all the Calls, I > doubt the contacts would have been very satisfactory. RD> RD> I doubt that would count as worship...the CoS was pretty adamant about not RD> even 'worshipping' Satan, weren't they? D'you know if they RD> claimed to have any good results from the use of the RD> Calls? I admit to total ignorance on this score. RD> Hmmm...they didn't replace the names of the RD> Enochian dudes with 'Satan' did they? If not, the contacts RD> could've been satisfactory. Would be interesting to see RD> what kind of schtuff was obtained. Aren't the Enochian RD> entities pretty flexible about revealing themselves within RD> the basic structure the magician best understands and is RD> most experienced with? RD> Welllll..... that's always been my contention. (Almost word-for-word, in fact! ) But I still wonder about the effect of substituting "Satan" for Iaida, etc. The entities seem to have a strong connection to their creator, and attributing their existence to a Christian demon might tend to annoy them, I'm thinking. Or, they might just decide that the magician is invoking some other group of beings, and not bother answering. > Earth. My current thought -- not yet fully developed -- is that they are > a manifestation of some sort of meta-schema, of which the local schemas > used on different worlds are particularizations. RD> RD> Is there anyplace in your writings where you discourse on RD> this line of thought? As far as Josh's point about the Xtians combined morphic fields go, why do JM> you think that you get thousands of Catholics seeing Virgin Mary appearences JM> every year? Ouch! Ya got me with that one. Should've thought of it -- there's an annual gathering looking for visions of her right down the road from here, though nobody's seen her there yet. And when I lived up near heavily Italian-Catholic Youngstown, there was a flurry of sightings of her in the rust-stains on various old water-towers. But why Mary, who isn't even part of their trinity? And why don't magicians invoking Xtian symbols get that much power? If its dragging thousands of people around, there must be a hell of a lot of it. Why must it be spread among that many people instead of being concentrated? (musing) Things could get really confusing if you start to think about it... E.g., is Mary a substitute and/or continuation of the force of the older pre-Xtian godesses, Ishtar, Inanna, Isis, etc? And what about those voudoun sects that believe that certain Xtian saints are really concealed versions of their own gods? While it's obvious to me that people are constantly picking up on ideas floating around in the ether and making them their own, I don't think that power as such has much to do with it. This is because it happens as much with trivial fads as it does with seemingly powerful symbols. Resonance between the idea and the individual's personality and life- circumstances seems to be a stronger determinant. Mary is a Big Mommy symbol, and as such appeals to the many whose "inner child" still needs to feel the presence of such. And if I recall correctly, some of the events on which the idea of morphic fields is based didn't have anything at all to do with emotionally-powerful symbols. E.g., the fact that rats learn mazes much faster today than they did thirty years ago. And that experiment in Europe where a test was broadcast in England one week and in other countries later, and those taking the test later had more right answers than those who took it first. In each of these cases, information is being passed, but no real power. ___ X SPEED 1.30 [NR] X 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Josh Norton Area: MagickNet To: Rose Dawn 7 Nov 94 15:19:04 Subject: Chaos UpdReq RD> RD> Forget the hardcopy idea...that'd cost a mint to mail! Is RD> it all available in the Arena's file section? If so, we RD> could just do a FReq, no? Unless Josh wants them kept out RD> of file areas for some reason, it'd be nice to have it RD> available here on the board as well. RD> I don't mind. The only problem I can think of is that someone reading them will get to the end of what's been done so far, and start wondering where the rest of it is. Kind of like reading the first installment of a story in an SF magazine, and being unable to find the conclusion. ___ X SPEED 1.30 [NR] X 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718