From: Airmid Area: MagickNet To: Shadow 27 Jun 94 11:06:06 Subject: Censer Help UpdReq SH>I have been previously using cone and stick incense in my rituals and SH>workings. Today I bought a censer. I am having trouble using it. I SH>light the briquet and get the sparklies. I lay hte briguet on the sand SH>bed. Then sprinkle the powder over it. I get a great trail of smoke SH>for about ten seconds then it is gone. What am I doing wrong here. I SH>know to all of you more experienced incens users I probably look real SH>simple. But I really want to make this work. The stick and cone stuff SH>will stay producing through most if not all of the working. Much of it probably has to do with the ingredients of the incense you are using. The more oils or resins it has, the longer it will last. For example, sandalwood or cinnamon powder goes away very quickly. Frankincense lumps can last up to 15-20 minutes, on the other hand. The best you can do is just keep dumping stuff on the charcoal at intervals when the smoke begins to clear away. OLX 2.1 TD T m rthach foluaineach eascann lan ln 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Prince Haaggkhen Area: MagickNet To: Andy Bender 29 Jun 94 00:15:00 Subject: Re: Feedback On Teow UpdReq AB> quite unacceptable, as I've got Clowns of Death tickets for both the AB> 22nd and 23rd, and I'd hate to miss them as a result of such AB> trivialities. Who can we speak to about this? Ha-Yes, indeed... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: J.S. Pereira Area: MagickNet To: Shadow 27 Jun 94 18:44:10 Subject: Censer help UpdReq Sw> I have been previously using cone and stick incense in my rituals and Sw> workings. Today I bought a censer. I am having trouble using it. I Sw> light the briquet and get the sparklies. I lay hte briguet on the Sw> sand bed. Then sprinkle the powder over it. I get a great trail of Sw> smoke for about ten seconds then it is gone. What am I doing wrong Sw> here. Try waiting longer before putting the incense on. It should be a glowing red, not just sending off sparks. 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: MILAMBER Area: MagickNet To: ACE LIGHTNING 30 Jun 94 09:31:00 Subject: Re: REINCARNATION UpdReq --- On 06-19-94 19:56, Ace Lightning blessed us all with the following: MI> AL> Almost all "black" animals are really very dark brown. If you know a > AL> black cat, look at it in strong sunlight. Some even display a hint of > AL> markings (like tabby stripes or calico patches) in bright enough > AL> light. So it stands to reason that a zebra is really a > AL> dark-brown-and-white- striped animal ("a horse in a prison uniform"). MI>Part of that is because "black", as we know it, is a very rare color. If >something is black, it means it absorbs _all_ visible light that touches it >and that would be an evolutionary disadvantage for any creature not living >the south pole. Most "black" animals are actually a very dark brown; >reflecting some very small amounts of visible light, but also shedding a lo >of heat. (Besides, the "advantage" to being black, for a land animal, is t >be less visible at night, or less susceptible to sunburn if human. Night >isn't flat black...it's just a very muted version of day, due to the low >light conditions. A patch of real black would be very much visible at nigh AL> True, animals don't come in "real" black. But an overcast, moonless AL> night in the woods, far enough away from "civilization" that there is AL> no light pollution, is close enough to flat black for *me*! I believe that's what I was trying to say... AL> (Cave AL> black; so dark that you literally can wave your hand in front of your AL> nose and not be able to see it. It happens.) I know. I love it. It gives me the opportunity to reach out with my other senses...and that's one of the best situations for "sixth-sense" type perceptions to manifest themselves. I've felt things when blind (due to lack of light) that I still can't quite get to happen again when I can see. >Real black is a rare color in nature, for this reason. >(One of my favorite cats is an all-"black" cat who, after sitting in the su >a while, seems to be a very dark red tabby.) AL> Every "black" cat I've ever seen has some white (or a light color) AL> somewhere, usually under the chin or belly, or the extremeties of paws AL> or tail-tip. And they all have brown-on-brown markings; the one I AL> remember most clearly was a black Angora with calico patches of dark AL> reddish brown on dark clear brown...and one white paw. I've got two "black" cats. One, Blackie (40 pounds), has a bit of white on the belly and a little blaze right under the neck. The second, Valentino (weighing in at 35 pounds) has no light patches that I can find. His fur is a little bit thin under the belly (and his skin is whitish beneath it), but all the fur he has is a beautiful inky black, some of which takes on a reddish tinge when he sits in the sun. MI> Two cents deposited. AL> "Don't applaud...just throw money." Two bits, four bits, six bits, a peso...All for Zorro! Stand up and Sayso! Blessed Be, Milamber, a.k.a. Maus ... Ever notice that a diatribe from the Pope is called "Papal Bull"? ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kai Mactane Area: MagickNet To: Adrienne 24 Jun 94 05:00:20 Subject: Re: definitions UpdReq -=> Adrienne was talking about definitions, and said: Ad> Nice post. Thank you. Kept me up waaayyy too late, though! :) [back to nit-picking] KM> However, "coven" here seems to mean, "a group of people KM> practicing fragmentary and corrupted rituals handed down in KM> *very* inaccurate form from... somewhen, quite possibly as KM> long ago as the Burning Times." Ad> I doubt the rituals themselves were, since many of the "old Ad> religionists" used the Greater Key of Solomon and the like for Ad> rituals. For really OLD stuff, I'd be inclined to look at the folk Ad> magics, rather than ritual form. I thought the Solomonic stuff was added by Gardner, to sort of "bulk out" the places where there were gaps? KM> Gardnerian Wicca is a very structured system, based on KM> three "degrees" and tracing lineage (that is, KM> successive initiations) back (theoretically) to Gardner KM> (I say "theoretically" because some folks could have KM> lied and followed the rituals well enough to pass, thus KM> violating the usual "descent"). Ad> I'm given to believe that lying about initiation is Ad> relatively rare in England. However, it isn't unknown and Ad> most of us stuffy types do try to check out credentials. Same here, and you'll note that (Sanders aside) I didn't claim it was actually ever done, just that it *could have been*. Covering my a__, as it were. KM> Alex Sanders was a guy who tried to get into Gardnerian KM> Wicca way back when, couldn't find anyone to initiate KM> him, and so bought/borrowed/stole (not sure which) a KM> copy of the Gardnerian BoS, made a few alterations, KM> threw in a lot of Ceremonial Magick stuff and called it KM> a new tradition (Alexandrian). Ad> Although the Gardnerian priestess who initiated the person who Ad> initiated him denies it, it seems that Sanders did have a valid First Ad> Degree and got the Book that way. In many places, the Ad> differences between Alexandrian and Gardnerian Wicca are so Ad> slight as to be moot and they are effectively the same Ad> family. Woops, I must be a bit behind the times on this one, then. Can you fill me in? Last I heard, he was considered a wannabe who'd gotten his hands on the Book somehow. KM> Alexandrian/Gardnerian (now abbreviated "AlGard") Ad> Actually, "AlGard" is an offshoot of Alexandrian and Ad> Gardnerian Wicca, put together by Mary Nesnick and the term Ad> is only used by her people. Oh. Down here in the States I actually have heard a couple of folks use it as I did. I also heard about Nesnick's folks once, but I have more references the other way. Someone should let Nesnick know her term's being "Xeroxed." :) --Kai. ... One man come, on a barbed-wire fence/One man, he resist... ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Kai Mactane Area: MagickNet To: Airmid 24 Jun 94 04:39:22 Subject: Re: definitions UpdReq -=> Airmid was talking about Definitions, and said: Ai> Actually AlGard was an attempt to "combine" Alexandrian and Gardnerian Ai> into one tradition, by Mary Nesnick. (Sort of an exercise in Ai> silliness, if you ask me.) It was an American Gardnerian lineage with a Ai> basic Alexandrian book. That said, it's neither accurate nor useful to Ai> apply the term to Alexandrians or Gardnerians together. They are Ai> usually collectively referred to as "British Traditional Craft." See my reply to Adrienne on this subject. I was just reporting what I've heard people say (though, I'll admit, without remembering Nesnick or having many facts on her). --Kai. ... The things that I will go to, the distance in your eyes. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718