From: Ace Lightning Area: MagickNet To: Valkyrie 21 Jun 94 19:56:02 Subject: High Off Drugs UpdReq VA>AL>There are tribal societies where trance, visions, dreams, etc., are >AL>taken just as seriously as "ordinary" consciousness. Children are taught >AL>from a very early age how to discriminate among the different states and >AL>how to control them. This way, they don't think they're losing their >AL>minds when they find themselves in an altered state. I wish our culture >AL>were as flexible! VA>These are excellent points. Having gone through the experience myself I >can agree with you completely. I hope you don't mind but I'm >forwarding this message to Shaman's Union. If you can get that echo why >not join us there? Alas, I don't get that echo. I'm even having a bit of trouble getting Pagan Chat turned on for me. Can you cross-post occasionally, and I'll try to keep up? --- SLMR 2.0 Your E-mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: MagickNet To: Milamber 21 Jun 94 19:56:04 Subject: Re: REINCARNATION UpdReq MI> AL> Almost all "black" animals are really very dark brown. If you know a > AL> black cat, look at it in strong sunlight. Some even display a hint of > AL> markings (like tabby stripes or calico patches) in bright enough > AL> light. So it stands to reason that a zebra is really a > AL> dark-brown-and-white- striped animal ("a horse in a prison uniform"). MI>Part of that is because "black", as we know it, is a very rare color. If >something is black, it means it absorbs _all_ visible light that touches it >and that would be an evolutionary disadvantage for any creature not living >the south pole. Most "black" animals are actually a very dark brown; >reflecting some very small amounts of visible light, but also shedding a lo >of heat. (Besides, the "advantage" to being black, for a land animal, is t >be less visible at night, or less susceptible to sunburn if human. Night >isn't flat black...it's just a very muted version of day, due to the low >light conditions. A patch of real black would be very much visible at nigh True, animals don't come in "real" black. But an overcast, moonless night in the woods, far enough away from "civilization" that there is no light pollution, is close enough to flat black for *me*! (Cave black; so dark that you literally can wave your hand in front of your nose and not be able to see it. It happens.) >Real black is a rare color in nature, for this reason. >(One of my favorite cats is an all-"black" cat who, after sitting in the su >a while, seems to be a very dark red tabby.) Every "black" cat I've ever seen has some white (or a light color) somewhere, usually under the chin or belly, or the extremeties of paws or tail-tip. And they all have brown-on-brown markings; the one I remember most clearly was a black Angora with calico patches of dark reddish brown on dark clear brown...and one white paw. MI> Two cents deposited. "Don't applaud...just throw money." --- SLMR 2.0 You're all just out to get me because I'm paranoid! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: MagickNet To: Dagonet 21 Jun 94 19:56:06 Subject: I 'ad to... UpdReq DA> AL> I have to laugh at people who think that having their corpses > AL> cryonically preserved is going to accomplish anything. They don't > AL> freeze you until you're DEAD; clinically dead, probably as judged by > AL> brainwave activity. So unless our descendants invent a cure for death > AL> in the next hundred years or so, you aren't buying yourself anything. > AL> If and when someone thaws you out in the future, all they'll have is a > AL> thawed dead body. What do they expect to do with this? DA> Make soup? ROTFLMAOKASSTCUTS! --- SLMR 2.0 ...You mean they eat their god? Ewww, gross! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Ace Lightning Area: MagickNet To: Agthorr 22 Jun 94 18:10:08 Subject: High Off Drugs UpdReq AG> AL> Just *PLEASE* don't ever be afraid of it! It is a rare and wonderful > AL> gift; learn to work with it, use it appropriately, and enjoy it, but > AL> **NEVER** fear it (or anything that it brings to you!)! AG>heh.. no, *I* would certainly never be afraid of anything weird >happening to me.. ;) For that matter, very little frightens me... I'm >WAY too "laid-back".. (however, that can be a problem in and of itself >) A few of us who are born with Talent simple use it on the same basis as we use our "normal" senses. Most, though, get brainwashed very early, and grow up afraid of their own ability. They're "afraid" to see the future, or "afraid" that hearing other people's thoughts means they're "crazy", or they get taught that their Powers come from the Devil or something. This is so sad... one might as well be afraid of being able to see or hear! I always try to tell people *NEVER* to be afraid of their Gifts. I wasn't sure about you, although I thought it was a pretty sure bet that you weren't in that predicament. Knowing your age, the "laid-back"-ness could simply be an adolescent mechanism to hide fear. I should have known better! AG> AL> The only "altered state" advertising is interested in is the state of > AL> zombie-like mindless "shopping trance", in which you'll buy anything > AL> if they repeat the name often enough. AG>One of the should try selling "Om" cerial to the Hindus or something. > That would be like selling "Hail Mary" cereal to Catholics. It wouldn't be allowed. AG>Actually, lately those the "advertising executives" at Coke seem to AG>be being creative... 1-800-I-FEEL-OK and such. (they still just want AG>our money, of course..) Hunh? I have no idea what you're talking about! (I have *gotta* start watching more MTV again!) AG>heh.. well, YOU seem to have turned out okay. ;) Me? Okay? You've GOT to be kidding! AG>BTW, did you ever get my Internet mail? (now severely outdated ) I got one Internet message from you, to which I replied. The reply must have gotten lost in the ozone somehow. If you still want to send me a "private" message, netmail sometimes works (of course, the sysops can read it). --- SLMR 2.0 Computer, microwave decks 5-10 until piping hot...BEEEP! 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Farrell McGovern Area: MagickNet To: Paul Seymour 22 Jun 94 11:36:14 Subject: HELP! UpdReq Hey Paul! I did some stuff last night...and boy did I have a strange dream afterwards...and it must of been important, since I slept through my alarm to finish it, it the alarm is one of those that keeps on going until you turn it off! The Dream: I dreampt that I was a kid in neighbourhood, and I was going to school. There was a gang, but they generally didn't bother anyone...except they had one bully. The gang didn't really like the bully either, but they had group solidarity, and really couldn't kick him out until he went too far. One day, I was talking to a couple of members of the gang just outside of the school yard, and the bully decided to attack me. This was just what the gang was waiting for. Together we all threw him against a wall...we didn't intend to injure him...but this wall just appeared when we threw him. So he had to go to the hospital. We didn't seem him ever again...it seems that once he was there, a number of his past crimes that we didn't know about came to light, and he was put away for a long time. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Interesting, eh? ttyl Farrell 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718