From: Josh Norton Area: MagickNet To: Gwathorn 13 Jun 94 10:58:04 Subject: Re: tolkein circle UpdReq Thus said Gwathorn to Josh Norton concerning Re: tolkein circle: JN> And the children are themselves "saviors" since the JN> final defeat of the evil Eddorians could not be accomplished until JN> they were on the scene. Gw> So are you asserting that the Qliphoth is represented by the Gw> Eddorians? Hmmm. Good question. I'd say the Eddorians would probably fit better into the same sort of position as the (equally fictional) Cthulu and the "elder gods". They came from an entirely different universe than that of the Galactic Patrol, and so could not be said to represent the "dark" side of the G.P. universe. Also, at the climax of _Children_of_the_Lens_, it is said that even after the physical bodies of the Eddorians had been destroyed, there was a spiritual "residuum" that had to be conquered. This implies that the Eddorians had some sort of "divine essence" to their character, even though it was incompatible with that of the G.P. universe. The qliphoth, OTOH, possess no such essence. ... Suspense: ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.10 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Joseph Max Area: MagickNet To: Mindrimmer 12 Jun 94 14:39:00 Subject: Definitions UpdReq Let's see if I can cough up a few short definitions, and the other folks here can argue about my accuraccy... Enochian: A specific system of magical procedure based upon the work of Dr. John Dee and Sir Edward Kelly of the court of Queen Elizibeth the First, developed around the end of the 16th century. Involves working with a hieracrhy of spiritual entities called "Enochian Angels", called forth by the use of specific incantations and magical tools known as "elemental tablets". Enochian magic practitioners tend to be from many different "traditions", though elements of the system can be found in the Golden Dawn and the Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.) ceremonies. Crowley worked quite extensively with Enochian Magic. OTO: A magical organization operating along the lines of a Masonic-type lodge; not surprising, as the group originated as a inner circle of German Freemasons. Crowley became the leader of the group in the early 20th century, and left his mark upon it in the form of the Thelemic philosophy that has been pretty much adopted wholeheartedly by the OTO since then. They teach a system of magical learning, marked by secret initiation rituals said to impart great symbolic knowledge on the recipient. The higher degrees teach sexual magick techniques (probably the reason for the secrecy traditions some hundred years ago!) based roughly upon Hundu Tantric practices with a western "spin". There exist several splinter OTO groups, although recent court cases grabted the use of the name to the lodge based in Berkeley, CA. Thelema: (greek for "Will") - a system of philosophy expounded by Aliester Crowley, arising originally from his _Book of The Law_ written in 1904, and expounded upon at GREAT length by him and many others since. Relevant quotes from TBOTL that tend to sum up the philosophy: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law", "Love is the Law, Love under Will", "Thou has no right but to do thy Will". Thelemites will point out that "Will" in this useage does not refer to mere desire or want, but to one's "True Will", or one's Real Purpose for existance in this life. Refer to "The Law Is For All" by Falcon Press for probably the best reference on Thelemic thought. Crowley-ites: Perhaps a somewhat disparaging term for Thelemites, and of course some will call themselves Thememic and tend to dismiss Crowley, others will admire his other magickal work and NOT call themselves Thelemic, etc - you get the picture... Wicca: A revivalist movement of pagan Goddess worship begun in the 1950's by British author Gerald Gardener, and expanded upon by many, many others since then. Garderner claimed to have found the "roots" of old Celtic paganism as the basis of his system, but there is no records in existance to back up his claim, although he's generally accepted to have been not far off the mark in his modern reconstruction. I'd suggest getting someone who is a Wiccan practitioner to expound on the different stripes besides Gardernarian (Alexandrian, Ancestral, Dianic, et al) since I'm NOT Wiccan and wouldn't want to offend any witches.... Norse/Celtic - these are old pagan traditions of god and goddess worship, reconstructed with varying accuracy and success by various groups in operation today. Stick around, I'm sure they'll speak up... Me? I'm a Chaos Magician.... ask me later.... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Prince Haaggkhen Area: MagickNet To: Anyone 14 Jun 94 03:17:00 Subject: feedback on TEOW UpdReq Just trying to start a good topic, The end of the world (or universe) - eh? or should I be directed somewere elese? 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: MILAMBER Area: MagickNet To: ACE LIGHTNING 13 Jun 94 11:50:00 Subject: Re: REINCARNATION UpdReq --- On 06-06-94 11:11, Ace Lightning blessed us all with the following: DS>heh.. actually, I just saw a zebra a few days ago that was *brown* and >white... AL> Almost all "black" animals are really very dark brown. If you know a AL> black cat, look at it in strong sunlight. Some even display a hint of AL> markings (like tabby stripes or calico patches) in bright enough AL> light. So it stands to reason that a zebra is really a AL> dark-brown-and-white- striped animal ("a horse in a prison uniform"). Part of that is because "black", as we know it, is a very rare color. If something is black, it means it absorbs _all_ visible light that touches it, and that would be an evolutionary disadvantage for any creature not living on the south pole. Most "black" animals are actually a very dark brown; reflecting some very small amounts of visible light, but also shedding a lot of heat. (Besides, the "advantage" to being black, for a land animal, is to be less visible at night, or less susceptible to sunburn if human. Night isn't flat black...it's just a very muted version of day, due to the low light conditions. A patch of real black would be very much visible at night.) Real black is a rare color in nature, for this reason. (One of my favorite cats is an all-"black" cat who, after sitting in the sun a while, seems to be a very dark red tabby.) Two cents deposited. Blessed Be, Milamber, a.k.a. Maus ... ...I am NOT paranoid!.... WHO told you that! ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718