From: The Grey man Area: MagickNet To: Paul Hume 16 Sep 92 17:53:38 Subject: PAGAN SEMINARY UpdReq Paul, thanks for your response. Nope, no woodshed, but he was made to understand my disappointment. At 14 years old, he hasn't yet grown fully into teen arrogance, so, while he truly believes he knows more than I do about everything, he still tends to automatically assumes that since he knows something, then I must know it too. I suspect that by next year this attitude will only be a fond memory... Alan's seminary idea is a bad one, I agree. I don't think that the flood of negative comments on it has fazed him much, however. He views himself as a sort of pagan Everyman, so until someone puts together an argument against the seminary that shows how it will be bad for *him*, he will continue to see it as something good for the entire pagan community. This, by the way, is not meant as a slam at Alan. If it were possible for a single individual to represent paganism, he would certainly be in the running for the position. He's in the process of adjusting the carburetor on his circle, converting it from a coven to a CAW nest. This won't be difficult since, from what I've picked up from him, he has already incorporated elements of Thelema, Qaballa, Tao, Buddhism, Jungian psychology, Wicca, and many "new age" attitudes into his belief system. I have no idea how such an amalgamation of (sometimes conflicting) beliefs and world views works, but I think it helps to explain why Alan thinks this seminary is a good idea. Blessed be, Grey 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Kevin Bold Area: MagickNet To: All 14 Sep 92 23:34:48 Subject: Project Witch Hunt Watch UpdReq Project Witch Hunt Watch for September 1992 (Fall Equinox) _Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law._ In June there was a "news" item on "The 700 Club" about evangelist Jeff Fenholt (host of "Highway to Heaven" on Trinity Broadcasting Network) and his planned speaking engagement at Salem, Massachusetts. The report noted that local occultists, especially wiccans, were most upset about it and were doing everything they could to prevent Fenholt from speaking. Fenholt specializes in his own brand of "anti-satanism" (i.e., fomenting anti-occult hysteria), and while one might concede that people who don't like occultists also have free speech, one cannot help noticing that Fenholt showed bad taste in speaking in Salem to observe the three-hundredth anniversary of the infamous witch trials, lending them some apparent legitimacy despite the fact that the accused were innocent of the "crimes" for which the good but hysterical people of Salem executed them. Moreover, freedom of speech does not include the right to misrepresent oneself. Fenholt, who often claims in his pitches for Jesus to have been a former lead singer for the "satanic" rock group Black Sabbath, was the subject of an MTV News item in May of 1991. Fenholt's claims had forced Tony Iommi, the group's guitarist, to give a press conference and state that Fenholt had only auditioned for the group. A trip to the record store to peruse the Black Sabbath albums will reveal that Fenholt, who sings acceptably but is no match for either Ozzy Osbourne or Ronnie James Dio, never recorded with Black Sabbath, casting even further doubt on his claims. And Jeff Fenholt is not the first neo-inquisitionist to give legitimacy to the Salem witch hunt. In Mike Warnke's humorous, hokey, and highly dubious 1972 book _The Satan Seller_, there is a high ranking female witch (or satanist; Warnke makes no distinction) named Bridget Bishop, who has the same name as the first of the Salem women to be hung for the crime of "witchcraft" in the 1690's hysteria. This is most interesting, as Warnke claims that he did not always use the real names of the people mentioned in the book. Those who have been following the growth of the myth of "satanic ritual abuse" will be pleased to read that the beginning of the end of this lunacy may be in sight. Earlier this year in Pittsburgh a sixteen-year old girl who had accused her parents and other adults of abusing her in this manner decided not to testify against her parents, resulting in the dismissal of all charges. Prior to this decision her credibility as a witness had severely deteriorated anyway when it was discovered that she could not describe the interiors of the houses where she claimed the abuse took place, or that she could not recognize or identify some of the people she had accused, and that her story had over fifty parallels with _The Diaries of Laura Palmer_ (a book based on the "Twin Peaks" television series, which an adult had recommended to her when she began making her accusations). Also, a mid-July broadcast of the "Sally Jessy Raphael Show" dealt with the topic of "false memory syndrome". It seems that many of the "therapists" who treat these "victims", often turn out to be lacking in any qualifications or credentials and are actually brainwashing their patients into believing they've been victimized. As Ms. Raphael is one of the many so-called "tabloid TV" hosts who have helped spread the "ritual abuse" nonsense in the first place, we are glad to see her take a role in undoing the damage which she and others have done to the occult community's reputation and religious freedoms. _Love is the law, love under will._ -- from the _Whiskey Rebellion Camp Newsletter_, Issue 9, Autumn Equinox 1992. For more information send a self- addressed stamped envelope to Whiskey Rebellion Camp OTO, 8 Market Square #131, Pittsburgh PA 15222. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: The Wiccan Witch Area: MagickNet To: Lance Lyon 13 Sep 92 02:18:10 Subject: Re: Sun? Female? UpdReq Also the Teutonic culture. To this day the sun is Die Sonne (grammatically feminine) and the moon is Der Mond (grammatically masculine). Put that in your peace pipe and smoke it! (hmmm.....that last sentence would make a good tagline for Shekhinah!) love and blessings! 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Paton Wright Area: MagickNet To: Paul Hume 15 Sep 92 19:02:00 Subject: Re: Pagan Seminary UpdReq I tend to agree with your response to Alan's document. There was some discussion (7 to 9 months ago) in RIME's "Magick" Conference over the need for Neo-Pagan representation and chaplins in the military. The military requires a chaplin to have graduated a seminary or similar institution. Most of us agreed that it that there would probably never be a "legitimate" Neo-Pagan seminary or chaplins. Although a seminary _sounds_ like a great idea at first, I just can't see how it could be accepted. There's so much freedom and variety found in the different interpretations of Paganism, how could it accept a yoke 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Airmid Area: MagickNet To: Barbara Kennedy 15 Sep 92 21:58:00 Subject: Re: Discussion UpdReq BK> I've read of a Celtic tradition, but what I've found seems to refer to BK>Ireland, does any you know of look to Scotland? If you're interested in Celts, you might also be interested in popping over to the CELTIC echo for a visit! OLX 2.1 TD B bheannaithe 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718