From: The Wizard Area: MagickNet To: All 7 Sep 92 02:14:48 Subject: LOCAL COVEN? UpdReq Do any of you know of any Wiccan covens around the Vineland, NJ area? Looking for a reputable one (whatever that means); one that is hetero sexual or as accepting of my sexual preference as I am of theirs. I think I am at a point where I need community in my development. T.Wiz 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Paul Hume Area: MagickNet To: The Grey Man 7 Sep 92 10:15:26 Subject: Re: PAGAN SEMINARY UpdReq Grey Man & Alan - I am in the knee-jerk-opposed-to-paid-pagan-clerical-caste camp, and I am afraid Alan's prospectus leaves my reflexes unaltered. In the "requirements" portion of the document (#1-6) my initial reactions are: 1: Pagans who go to non-pagan seminaries: I would have the gravest doubts about someone who is so hungry for certification as a "Cleric" that they would feel impelled to attend a seminary having little or nothing to do with the religion they espouse. If they want the training in counselling, there are degree programs in counselling, etc. Attending a seminary implies a desire for "God" to sign your diploma, in this context. 2: Of COURSE Christian seminaries are inadequate to training Pagan priest. How surprising. 3: Don Kraig has a vitriolic article on the dangers of being so fixated on "legitimacy" in the eyes of mainstream religion that one proceeds to make one's sect of Paganism a cheap copy of Protestant Christianity. See this quarter's New Moon Rising. Does Alan really think a self-proclaimed seminary is going to legitimize paganism in the eyes of the population? This suggests that typical American neurosis that a certificate/diploma/etc. IN ITSELF confers powers and privileges (as it says on mine) "appurtenant thereunto." 4: This is the sole argument for a meta-organization that makes any sense. However, given the dispersed geographic and equally dispersed theological nature of Neopaganism, it is arguable that the "community" does not exist in a form to allow for the economies of scale Alan lists. Yes, a real community is important - no, it cannot be imposed from without by a priestly class. 5: My blood runs cold at the thought of a bunch of self-proclaimed experts (with a diploma, see, ain't it neat?) standing ready to intercept the careers of 250,000 new priests and tell them what to believe. The view that in a room with 10 Pagans, there are at least 10 Priests present (often more), is of course the philosophical core of my objection to proposals such as Alan's. 6: Without wishing to discount Alan's sincere vocation, this point raises the gravest doubts about his suitability for such a role. We see a list of three individuals who have taken priestly obligations under false pretenses and WHO CANNOT (apparently) HOLD A "REAL" JOB. Yes, all three are also in a dilemma, if they have a real vocation to serve their fellows in the religious paradigm, but they're solutions (or lack of solutions) shows a lack of moral fiber that is not comforting. If they are capable of living in the broom closet and working as clergy of other religions, waiting to jump ship to Paganism as soon as they can find someone to PAY THEM TO DO IT, what does this say for their belief in the God/Gods to Whom they made the vows that presently bind them, and to Whom they apparently wish to make new vows? This is obviously the most negative interpretation of the thumbnail cases presented, but I must say that to me they bring forth all of Twain and Heinlein's most cynical comments on the "professional shaman." Paul 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Domi O Area: MagickNet To: Erin 7 Sep 92 13:18:00 Subject: Sun? Female? UpdReq There really aren't "exceptions" to aspiration and eclipsis, though there are regional differences. I'm not a high-level Gaelic speaker-- sort of intermediate. I do use a lot of different materials so that I can be sure of what I'm doing-- if five sources from different parts of Ireland all do it the same way I feel I'm on fairly solid ground. I have a few older texts, in the old alphabet and spelling, and they do seem to do a number of things differently. I use Dineen's sometimes to double-check an older spelling or meaning. O Donaill's is good for giving complete idiomatic phrases under their key words, which is helpful when I translate a phrase, know perfectly well that each word is correct, and yet cannot make sense of the whole. If you can do Japanese, you are way ahead of me! At least Irish is an Indo-European language... Domi of ADF 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718