From: Paul Hume Area: MagickNet To: Josh Norton 22 Aug 92 18:37:22 Subject: Re: A few questions UpdReq Josh and Greg - Nice summary Josh except one slip. The Greater Key of Solomon isn't comprised of chunks of the other books of the Lesser Key. The Theurgia-Goetia, Almadel, and Notary (or Pauline) Art, are published in different editions. There is a complete edition of the Lemegeton done by the redoubtable Hermetic Research Series in the UK. It has not yet been release by their licensee (or acquirer) in the US, Phanes Press. Anne and Nelson White, proprietors of the Magic Circle bookstore in Pasadena, and (I think?) among the founders of the OTA, did a full edition as well. The Mathers translation (pirated by Crowley and in turn pirated by De Laurence) is of course just the Goetia. Paul 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Airmid Area: MagickNet To: Erin 21 Aug 92 08:33:00 Subject: Re: Sun And Moon Feminine UpdReq ER> Well, I should have known better than to trust them with comments ER>on anything but the Craft (and not on some of those). ER> > I think we're dealing with concept gender here rather than ER> > linguistic ER> > gender. ER> > ER> This is why I haven't replied to your last message. I figured ER>I'd stuff both replies into one message. I talked to Rowan Moonstone while ER>was at Dragonfest, and one of the things that came up was this particular ER>debate. She said she thought you meant that the Moon God was masculine, ER>while I was thinking you were talking about linguistic gender. Seems as ER>though we don't have a disagreement after all. Just some of my normal ER>confusion. Yup, yup. The thing is, that Celtic religion and the Celtic concept of deity floated so much, that you have BOTH Moon Gods and Moon Goddesses. The Carmina Gadelica specifically refers to the moon as feminine, however in The Silver Bough, F.M. MacNeill talks about a Moon God who was transformed into "St." Maol Rubha. She proposes the form Mo-Urie (Mourie), which is the name that the locals swear oaths by. ER> > I'm looking forward to seeing you on the Celtic echo. This ER> > has been a ER> > fascinating thread, and I'm moving the posts from it into ER> > the Celtic ER> > echo for the interest and edification of the folks there. ER> > Hope to see ER> > you soon (virtually speaking) :) ER> > ER> Ulp. You're moving my comments to an area where people know ER>what they're talking about !!!??? I think I'll shut up and only come back t ER>post in 3 years when I know what I'm talking about. (And if you believe ER>that. . . :) ) ER> Looking forward to getting the Celtic echo. Still hasn't make ER>(make that "made") its way here. Think the sysop is having trouble ER>getting it. Tell your SysGod to talk to Grendel. ER>P.S. Tell Lorax I haven't forgotten him. Only just got back into town this ER>afternoon. And what a week it was! Sounds like you had quite a time. ER>--- Opus-CBCS 1.73a ER> * Origin: Synners of Cyberia (1:382/7.0) OLX 2.1 TD This tagline is umop apisdn 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Airmid Area: MagickNet To: Erin 21 Aug 92 08:52:00 Subject: Re: Sun? Female? UpdReq ER> > the Celtic attempt to make Celtic cosmology fit other systems. ER> > It doesn't work. There are no four sacred directions and ER> > no cardinal points among the insular Celts. All the sacred ER> > objects come FROM the North. Things are always in motion, ER> Knew the former. Didn't know the latter. Thanks. ER> Also knew about the Irish "on" someone or thing. Guess I am ER>learning something in my baby Irish. Sure doesn't feel much like it though. ER>Or maybe I'm just impatient. (NO! Couldn't possibly be!) I'll address this one. You remember the tale of how the TdD came to Ireland? They went to the Islands at the North of the World. When they were there, they were given the Four Treasures (Sword of Nuadha, Spear of Lugh, Cauldron of Daghda, Stone of Fal) by four sages from the four island cities. So all the Treasures originated "from the North" and were brought to Ireland from there. Using them as directional "tools" is a vast misinterpretation of their use and function. Now back to your tag-team Irish cosmology/religion discussion! :) OLX 2.1 TD Press "+" to see another tagline. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Erin Area: MagickNet To: Domi O 23 Aug 92 22:23:50 Subject: Re: Sun? Female? UpdReq Quoth Domi O to Erin: > Erin, if you can do Irish, you can do Scots and Manx. Just > get a basic text and dictionary. I didn't realise how much > I knew until I was reading a Celtic League magazine one > day and found that I did in Here is someone who doesn't realize how really basic my Irish is! Am just on lesson 7 in _Teach Yourself Irish_. > Gaelic teacher supreme. If anyone out there is in the greater > Philadelphia area and looking for an Irish teacher, it's > worth the trip to Souderton. She's terrific. > U of Washington is supposed to be offering a course in Some of us have formed what we call an Irish "club." My teacher is studying Welsh, and has made it through some books on his own. So it's basically a case of the blind leading the blind. But that's ok, it's better than learning it entirely on my own--there's no motivation at ALL in doing it that way. I know a *little* about grammar now, all of my study being done in the Munster dialect. > The words for movement toward and away from direction are > old. The words for cardinal points are fairly modern. At > least, that's how it looks to me. Maybe after this winter > I can speak with more authority and better references. Oh good. More to look forward to learning. Fortunately, the teacher is Pagan, too, so he goes to the trouble of looking up blessings and festival words for us. You know, Ruth Lehmann lives in Austin. I keep hoping she'll get better--she's up in years, and fairly ill now--and teach an Irish class, but I know better. Anyway, with my study habits--or lack thereof- -I need a slower moving class. Look me up in 20 years. I should be fluent by then! Erin 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718