From: Adrienne Area: MagickNet To: Greg Silverman 20 Aug 92 23:34:14 Subject: A few questions UpdReq GS> 1) what exactly is "Drawing Down the Moon" (and how is it done?) Drawing Down the Moon is a magical act, done during a Wiccan Esbat, that "draws" the Goddess into the Priestess, so she speaks and acts as Goddess. It is generally done by Traditional Wiccans (by which I mean Gardnerian and Gardnerian derived systems). It may be done by other groups as well, but I'm not sure. It Traditional Wicca, members are Oathbound not to discuss the details on how it is done. GS> 2) I remember the name of a book called either GS> "Lemegation" or "Legemation" GS> or something like that.... Can't remember what it's about, though... The Legematon, or the Greater Key of Solomon, is a Ceremonial Magic text, translated from ancient manuscripts by S. Liddell MacGregor Mathers, c.1914. I'm not certain how true the claims to antiquity are... 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Adrienne Area: MagickNet To: Graham Jenkins 20 Aug 92 23:43:36 Subject: Introduction UpdReq Welcome to International bulletin boards! You come in loud and clear here in Canada. I was very interested in your message, since I visited England last year and fell in love with the Kentish countryside and, most especially, the old city of Canterbury. We never did get to Faversham, but I assure you, we (my husband and I) will, the next time we're in England. To keep this on topic... Are you interested at all in Traditional Wicca? (I mean Gardnerian Wicca; over here, that's about as "traditional" as we get... I have contacts with the Pagan Federation in London, if you'd like the address. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Josh Norton Area: MagickNet To: Greg Silverman 19 Aug 92 13:17:08 Subject: A few questions UpdReq GS>2) I remember the name of a book called either "Lemegation" or "Legemation" > or something like that.... Can't remember what it's about, though... > any info would be appreciated. The name is "Legemeton", and it's another name for the Keys of Solomon. According to my copy of Crowley's translation, the Legemeton consists of five parts: (I'm quoting) CLAVICULA SALOMONIS REGIS, which containeth all the Names, Offices, and Orders of all the Spirits with whom he ever held any converse; together with the Seals and Characters proper unto each Spirit, and the method of calling them forth to visible appearance: In 5 parts, viz.: (1) The First Part is a Book of Evil Spirits, called Goetia, showing how he bound up those Spirits and used them in things general and several, whereby he obtained great fame. (2) The Second Part is a Book of Spirits, partly Evil and partly Good, which is called Theurgia-Goetia, all Aerial Spirits, etc. (3) The Third Part is of Spirits governing the Planetary Hours, and of what Spirits do belong to every Degree of the Signs, and of the Planets in the Signs. This is called the Pauline Art, etc. (4) The Fourth Part of this Book is called the Almadel of Solomon, the which containeth those spirits that do govern the Four Altitudes, or the 360 degrees of the Zodiac. These two last Orders of Spirits are called Theurgia, and are to be sought for by Divine seeking, etc. (5) The Fifth Part is a Book of Orations and Prayers which Wise Solomon did use upon the Altar in the Temple. The which is called Ars Nova, the which was revealed to Solomon by that Holy Angel of God called Michael; and he also received many brief Notes written with the Finder of God, which were declared to him by the said Angel with Claps of Thunder; without which Notes King Solomon had never obtained his Great Wisdom, for by them in short time he gained Knowledge of all Arts and Sciences both Good and Bad; from these Notes it is called the Notary Art, etc. ___--- The first of these sections is normally known as the Lesser Key of Solomon, and contains talismans, names, and descriptions for demons apparently corresponding to the letters of the "Divided Name" Shemhamphorasch. The usual version seen these day's is Crowley's translation from the French. Pieces of the other books have been lumped together as the Greater Key of Solomon. Usual version seen is MacGregor Mather's translation. I don't know who is publishing these books today; my copies are modern reproductions of the De Laurence editions of 1914-1916, with no modern publisher's name shown. * SLMR 2.1a * Steal only from the best. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Barak Area: MagickNet To: All 20 Aug 92 15:55:04 Subject: Mezlim UpdReq Mezlim is a publication for people with more than a passing interest in the occult. Each issue provides over 50 pages of articles, reviews, letters, rituals, recipes, interviews and editorial comment on issues of interest to people worki ng in Wicca, Magick, Ceremony, Initiation, Goddess worship, Pantheism, Ritual, Shamanism, Liminal States, Self-Transfor mation, Alternative Earth-Based religions and related fields. Mezlim is attractively and professionally produced, with color cover on glossy recycled stock. Currently our cover price is $6. As our circulation increases, we hope to be able to pass our savings in production co sts onto our readers in the form of a reduction of this cover price. Since we don't want to have the price change more than once, we need to have some idea of where to put it. This is where we need your help. If you could take a moment to answer the following questions, it would be much appreciated. 1) If you saw it on the newsstand for the first time, at what price would you be willing to purchase the magazine? 2) If you were already familiar with it, and knew that you wanted it, what price would you be comfortable with? 3) If you could purchase an annual subscription, what kind of savings would you expect off the newsstand price? 4) Are you already familiar with Mezlim? 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Barak Area: MagickNet To: Greg Silverman 20 Aug 92 16:04:54 Subject: A few questions UpdReq Drawing down the moon refers to the practice of evoking the presence and/or influence of the Lunar Deity, usually while the moon is in its fullest phase. This presence is "drawn down" into the the body of the priest/ess, a consecrated sacrament, or an oracal, depending upon the tradition within which the ritual is being performed. The "Legemeton" (sp?) is another name for the "Keys of Solomon", which stands as a symbolic cornerstone of the "Solomonic Tradition" i.e. Western EuroCentric Magick. I hope this is of some help. 718499927771849992777184999277718499927771849992777184999277718 From: Rex Irae Area: MagickNet To: Graham Jenkins 20 Aug 92 16:45:18 Subject: Re: Introduction UpdReq Welcome aboard... I just joined this echo myself, so a little 'hello' from one newbie to another. _ _ /