From: Istvan Dragosani Area: ENOCHIAN To: Josh Norton 1 Jun 95 08:44:00 Subject: Zalewski Lectures, Part Rec'd UpdReq Also Sprach Josh Norton: JN>Actually, this was my first heavy, systematic delving into the Aethyrs. JN>I always felt that people were obsessing on them (and giving them more JN>importance than they deserved) because of Crowley's work. At the same JN>time I felt the more regular hierarchies of the Tablets were under- JN>appreciated, and so have put most of my effort into understanding their JN>nature, and correcting some of the worst idiocies left over from the JN>G.D. And making a few original contributions along the way. I feel the same way, regarding the Tablets. I think a lot of people go after the Aethyrs, also, because it's a simpler approach then going down hierarchies. Sort of like the difference between using a GUI and a command-line, no? JN>I'm as independent as they come. Never belonged to any group, although I JN>was an 'associate' of the old bate cabal before it softly and silently JN>vanished away. Membership in a magickal group (and any other sort of JN>organization, for that matter) always involves a degree of submission to JN>its astral entity. I prefer to go my way without such influences; if JN>you're going to do something truly new, you can't be bound by the past. JN>(But I'm not above stealing a good idea from any source.) Did you know that there is an OTO camp in San Francisco called Joshua Norton camp? JN>Most everybody with any experience agrees that Jerry Schueler's stuff is JN>useless. The only reason he has any reputation at all is because his JN>stuff is so much more readily available than the quality references in JN>the field. It consists mostly of bluster, errors, obfuscations, and JN>untested fabrications; the little in it that is of use was all stolen JN>from other sources. That's the impression I got. When I started reading _Enochian Physics_, I think it ended up flying across the room. It was extremely inaccurate with its physics (which is another topic of intense study for me). JN>As for the G.D., IMO they had one good idea -- their "pyramid" method of JN>exploring individual squares. My experience has been that most of the JN>remainder is wrong. Haven't really looked at the GD's system. JN>If you haven't seen them yet, I'd recommend: JN>_The Enochian Evocation of Dr. John Dee_ by Geoffrey James JN>_Elizabethan Magick_ by Robert Turner JN>_The Heptarchia Mystica of John Dee_ by Robert Turner I do have a copy of the second book in the list. I've had recommendations on the others. JN>These will give you all the basics you need, without a lot of extraneous JN>gibberish. Other folks usually recommend the unaptly-titled _Enochian JN>Sex Magick_; I haven't read it, so can't comment personally. I don't know why the book has that title. It's basically a walk-through of Crowley's _Liber Chanokh_, but they do a pretty good job at describing the basic steps. Again, it seems that most people gravitate towards the Aethyrs, but this book does go quite a bit into the hierarchies. JN>If you want to go straight to the source, pick up the facsimile edition JN>of Meric Causobon's _A True & Faithful Relation of What passed for many JN>Years between Dr. John Dee and Some Spirits_. This is less useful than JN>you might expect, from a practical standpoint; but serves to give a lot JN>of background on the system's origin. I've seen that one around, but I never seem to be a position where I have money on hand! Istvan Dragosani | "Go not to the Elves for counsel, bmccoy@capaccess.org | for they will say Minstrel, Mage, Sage, Wooer of Women, | both no and yes" and General Friend of All Nature... | -- JRR Tolkien * OLX 2.1 * Talkin' 'bout my c-c-constipation... 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Paul Hume Area: ENOCHIAN To: Istvan Dragosani 1 Jun 95 12:28:46 Subject: Zalewski Lectures, Part UpdReq Istvann - 93. You can peruse the books Josh recommends (except the Heptarchia, which I really really must track down when I am in funds myself) at the Camp - they are in my personal collection rather than the Camp library, but once I get the surgical gloves and mask on you, and you settle down with the books under the sneeze cover, with the inert atmosphere pumped into the room, as long as you remember to take a hit off the oxygen bottle from time to time, you can read them in comfort (paranoid about his books? Hume? You jest!) Seriously, if there's one that grabs your attention and cries out for more study, I can lll...llll...geez its hard to say that word about one of my books...lllleeend it to you. Paul 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718 From: Andrew Kettle Area: ENOCHIAN To: All 1 Jun 95 22:27:52 Subject: Wiccan Conference UpdReq =========================================================================== Date: 05-08-95 (20:59) From: ANDREW KETTLE Subj: Magicians and wiccans conference --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Magicians and Wiccans Conference -------------------------------- ESOTERICA magazine is planning to conduct a weekend conference/workshop/ ritual/entertainment/markets event later on in the year at Brian Rumble's magnificient castle, Castle Rumble, at Waterford, Queensland. The general theme will be on witchcraft, magic and other related topics. Anyone (and being reasonably compensated for the service) can contact me care of 'Esoterica'. Also, we need to know how many people would be interested in attending the conference. Camping, billeting and special accommodation in the castle is also a possibility. Pricing has yet to be finalised until we have some idea of how many people and speakers might be attending. Please let us know what you think. Write to: John Esposito, 58 Heath Street, East Brisbane, Qld.4169. [Quote this message as the net is being valued, at present, for its effectiveness as a communications channel.] 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718