From: Rene Cusson Area: ENOCHIAN To: Joseph Max 24 Nov 94 11:51:10 Subject: Re: WAV. calls? UpdReq BP> Has anyone ever given any thought to recording the calls as .wav files BP> that could be played by soundblaster cards? BP> JM> This does raise an interesting question - is the recorded playback of JM> the Calls an acceptable substitute for speaking them directly during the JM> course of a ritual? If so, is there a difference between a recording of JM> the operator hirself speaking them or some other persons voice? I think they should be said. If they're not worth repeating in person, why have them at all? Saying them aloud in person will only strengthen the ritual. Tape them if you're just learning them, or teaching them to someone else. JM> From a technical and practical point-of-view, I can see a few drawbacks JM> to using .WAV or any other type of computer-driven sample playback: JM> Mostly it has to do with the rather intrusive nature of a big enough PC JM> to have sound cards in it inside an active ritual space, and the Solved by using an AMIGA computer to play them. Totally automatic, an Amiga 500 is the size of a keyboard and a half (including keyboard, and disk drives) and 5 minutes at 8000 sps is only about 1 meg, and that could be doubled by redusing the sampling rate (though not recommended if there's higher frequencies in your voice. Not too bad for monotone chant though. Maybe 4000 or 6000 sps) I have now solved your techinical problems! :)) (BTW, I do sampling/mod construction as a hobby/side business, with the equipment I mentioned, so I know what I;'m talking about! :))) JM> distraction of having to operate the thing while one properly _should_ JM> be concentrating on achieving the proper mental state for an operation JM> to work in the first place. Paying to much attention to fancy tools and JM> getting ever syllable correct is a very neophyte kind of mistake, when JM> it is at the expense of attaining a deeper state of magical trance due JM> to the distraction. Altering one's state of consciousness is job #1 in JM> ritual work. agreed. During the rutual, I wouldn't recommend this. But in learning the chant, or practicing it, it would be useful. I think the best use would be if say you had a chant and wanted to teach it to me, and tone of voice, or speed made a difference (don't know if it would ever, but let's say it would.) You could sample it, and send it to me as a file. I play it, and practice it, and you can say you taught me a chant without ever meeting me. Post your file on a board, and EVERYONE can learn it correctly! JM> Secondly, the sheer size of the .WAV file and the amount of memory JM> needed to play it back would be prodigious and awkward, I would think. again, at 4000 sps, you could get about 10 minutes easially with only 1 meg. JM> Especially since the same thiong could be accomplished with a $20 JM> cassette deck. Using a PC with soundcards is threading a needle with a JM> sledgehammer, IMHO. Aming, my friend, Amiga! :))) -Black Mamba *- Technology it great! It makes even the simplist things complicated!!! * Q-Blue 1.0 [NR] * 201434369420143436942014343694201434369420143436942014343694718